SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VAIS XM Radio or IPOD for the Nav Screen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-05, 06:41 PM
capper
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAIS XM Radio or IPOD for the Nav Screen?

Sorry if this has already been done on CL, but has anyone talked to VAIS about their integrated solutions for XM Sat Radio, or IPOD links to go to the NAV screen and use the SC430's controls for it? Their site says all these way cool interfaces should be available this month....just wondering if anyone else was considering it, and new of any up or down side versus standard XM Radio installations....I just don't want to have stuff hanging on the wood on the SC, and this would be awesome if it works....here's the link:

http://www.vaistech.com/

Thanks in advance for anyone who has already researched it, and knows how it would fit into an SC430.....Capper
Old 01-06-05, 07:09 PM
capper
Rookie

Default Just sent this EMail to VAIS....

I just found your site, and am very interested....I recently bought an 2002 Lexus SC430, and was trying to find a way to get either Sirius or XM radio in without trashing the looks of the already crowded cockpit. The IPOD connectivity also is interesting. I was wondering, in this crowded car, how those options would fit, and where. Also, with regard to Sat Radio, would it show on the NAV screen the artist and song? Also, can you have duel connects (say, for a DVD player, and Sirius) in one NAV system screen display. I was also wondering about what you thought installation costs would run for an SC. Great technology guys, I hope to get some of it installed on my "new" used car...All the best with your company, Capper

I'll post the reply, if any of you are interested....C
Old 01-06-05, 08:12 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a great news!! keep us updated, I am thinking about sirius for my GS and my future ride. Thanks!
Old 01-08-05, 11:35 PM
Energy25
Driver School Candidate

I spoke with Eugene at Vais Technology. He returned my call in about a day or two. They are a pretty new shop but the website information was just too much for me to resist the urge to investigate further.

I'm primarily interested in their technology because I installed the XM Commander in the ashtray of my SC and used an FM modulator (the perfect spot for it imho). According to my installer, the ML system on the SC is just too locked down for a direct connection. Anyway, I'm not impressed with the FM modulator solution - you really have to turn it up loud to get the same level of sound that comes from a CD or FM radio.

Eugene at VaisTech told me that their solution would allow the direct connection in my SC but not through the Nav Screen. You still would need a separate control unit for your XM or Sirius radio. He said the source for your sat. radio or Ipod would be toggled by hitting the DISC button on the ML head unit.

The direct connection if it works will be well worth it and I will redo my installation if Eugene can get the part to my installer because I do not like the FM modulated solution.

If you go with the ashtray location for your sat. radio just make sure to sink the controller deep enough into the ashtray so that the ashtray door does not push the buttons on the controller when you shut it. My installer here in Houston has done many SC's and was very skillful at it...

BTW - I also have a 2004 GX470 with ML system. The VaisTech solution will allow me to control everything (sat, ipod, rear dvd) through the Nav screen on that vehicle - that is what they say...I have not gotten any word from my installer that the parts are on the way...we'll see...
Old 01-08-05, 11:40 PM
Energy25
Driver School Candidate

Here is my email correspondence with VaisTech:

Hello, I have 2 Lexus vehicles both with the Mark Levinson Audio:

> 2002 SC430

> 2004 GX470 (Nav and rear camera)

On both vehicles, I have had XM radio installed through an FM
Modulator. Although I do not like this approach I was told that the
ML system is not flexible enough to accommodate direct inputs. Can
your products easily solve this?

We support both GX470 and SC430, our device fully integrates into your ML system.
SC430: you can easily integrate XM radio into ML system, but you can have NO control through your ML system, SC430 is one of the cars that can't have it. So I suggest to get AIC-100, here you have two universal connections, connect XM but control it through the XM Radio panel. There is no point of getting AIC-100x since it's going to work just like AIC-100 in your case.
GX470: in this model you connect it, you control through your ML system, and if your car supports MD changer, you can have text on your display, regarding rear entertainment system, we haven't tested, so I can't give much info on that.

Best regards,
Eugene
VAIS Technology
phone: 720-733-2348
e-mail: info@vaistech.com
Old 01-13-05, 01:07 PM
capper
Rookie

Default Just got this reply from Eugene at VAIS...

I had asked about products for my 2002 SC430, specifically integrating DVD and Sirius radio into the screen, apparently there will be new and improved VAIS products out hopefully mid year that can utilize the NAV screen on my car (I'll wait for those):

Hi,
Our products that we sell right now have functionality limitation on
your vehicle because of the Radio receiver, due to that you can not
have any control of added equipment, and you would not have anything
displayed on Radio LCD and on Navigation screen either. The only
product that would be reasonable for you is AIC 100 or AVIC 100 (add
uncontrolled sources), or you can wait for the next model, which will
let you have all functionality you anticipate. Expected
release date is middle of this year.

Best regards,
Eugene
VAIS Technology
phone: 720-733-2348
e-mail: info@vaistech.com
Old 01-13-05, 01:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah, more waiting now
Old 01-26-05, 11:05 PM
MarsB007
Driver

... or you can just keep your existing setup, slice into the ML system directly, and add a toggle switch, to switch between the ML system and the 'new' system.

Just for giggles I completed 1/2 the work (where I sliced into the wires to see whether it would work (although I still don't have the differential line output converter - since the first time i just ordered a normal line output converter... and forgot about the differential part, and now I have to wait).

Regardless... I installed the XM Commander control unit right above my mirror on the left side. I will take pictures and post them once everything is up and running.

My initial point is... if all you're trying to get is a simple input, then instead of spending $400 for the Vais system, do it yourself for $60 bucks ($50 bucks for a 4 channel differential line output converter (since I want to add 2 2-channel inputs), and a toggle switch... about 10 bucks including shipping.) Granted this is not as nice to integrate as the VAIS system, but if I can't use the stupid steering wheel controls for the VAIS system why bother??? I was actually planning on buying it, but now it's out of the question since it won't have that feature.

Grab about 20 feet of Cat5e or 6 network cable, and run it... and you have yourself 2 perfect RCA inputs - One for my DVD player and the other for the XM.

Will post pics this weekend.

Edit: For whatever route you go, you'll still have to get an universal XM adapter... so with the VAIS, it will run you a cool 450-500 for XM radio... which is not bad... as long as I get steering wheel controls... that would be the deciding factor for me.

Last edited by MarsB007; 01-26-05 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-30-05, 10:26 AM
gekisai29
Driver

just had elbow surgery so please excuse tpung errors if any. a local installer spoke to eugene at my reuest and was told the vais will work with 430 but not with control thru ml head unit in dash. install quote of approx $800=$1000 given including costt o the actual sattelit equipment and vais equip. btw, also told had option of going xm or sirius using an xm commander or alpine setup with an in ashtray installation. with egaerd to this what do you folks think is better suited fot the 430?
Old 01-30-05, 03:54 PM
MarsB007
Driver

that's a little pricey for me for a simple input... but to each their own... let us know how it turns out.
Old 01-31-05, 09:32 AM
gekisai29
Driver

which seems pricey... theapprox 475 patrcharge fr the vais adator,& xm commander system or the lbor charge fot the balance?
Old 02-10-05, 12:30 AM
Jim Herd
Driver School Candidate

Default Satellite Radio Integration with ML Audio

It seems there may be disappointing news wrt the VAIS aftermarket "black box" that allows auxiliary audio inputs (satellite radio, MP3, etc.). It is explained earlier in this thread. Anyway, I just communicated with the company and got a different story!

VAIS now says that the only unit for the SC430 is the AIC-100, which does NOT integrate the controls for the auxiliary input. It basically just allows the add-on device to use the ML amplifier and speakers. Thus, this requires an ugly additional control head for any auxiliary device. While the company had earlier said they have a new product coming out "mid-year" that will allow control of an add-on device through the ML controls, they seem to be backing off on this. They told me "the release date is still unknown". (The factory guy noted that, with the SC430, it is very difficult to crack the code and infiltrate and exploit the ML system. Much more difficult than with the other Lexus models - hence the other models have greater integration potential for ad-on audio.)

The point is that it may be a long wait for the upgraded unit. This seems to leave us with a few choices.
1. Wait - no matter how long.
2. Buy the AIC-100, suffer the limited functionality, and upgrade when you can.
3. Install the conventional add-on audio through the usual FM link or cassette tape adapter.

Or does anyone know of a different solution?

One more thing.
I have my ham radio installed at the ash tray location, so a satellite radio head can not go there. Is there another suitable location for the satellite radio head? I seem to recall a post about placing the satellite radio head near the rearview mirror.

Thanks,

Jim Herd
Old 02-10-05, 05:59 PM
gekisai29
Driver

as posted elsewhere both alpine 7 jl audio willsoon heve interfaces similar to vaistaech although it is not clear about control too bad you cant use ashtray. i did this in a jag with great rest results plus controlling off the unit from the ashtreai is easy