Next Generation SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-05, 03:58 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VSA Plans

Tim ...
Before you chat with your dealer about the details of an extended warranty, arm yourself with some information:

http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty...ice/index.html

Note the links to the Platinum Program, the Gold Program, and to a comparison chart of the two programs.

I don't normally purchase extended warranties either, but I will very seriously consider one for this car.
Old 01-12-05, 06:00 AM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
Tim ...
Before you chat with your dealer about the details of an extended warranty, arm yourself with some information:

http://www.lexus.com/models/warranty...ice/index.html

Note the links to the Platinum Program, the Gold Program, and to a comparison chart of the two programs.

I don't normally purchase extended warranties either, but I will very seriously consider one for this car.
Wow, these are some great warranty programs! When the warranty of my 2003 GS430 runs out in January of 2008 I understand that only the Gold Warranty program will be available to me. Is this correct?

Jayson
Old 01-12-05, 12:19 PM
SC500HH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visit www.lexus.jp (click cancel when they ask you to install the languages/fonts).
Under the "Models" tab, you can click on GS(new), but IS and SC are greyed out.

I know that there is a new IS coming out, but is there a new SC??
Old 01-12-05, 02:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tfischer
For what it's worth, the car has been on the market since April 15 of '01 (with an '02 model designation). I got my car about two weeks later, just at the end of April, and the 4 year warranty runs out in another two months.

Even with 4 years on the market, the "concept car" was shown at the Detroit and Chicago auto shows in February and March of 2000, and there are no differences between that car and the first production cars.

By that standard, the car has been unchanged for about 6 and a half years, although only available for four years. Still, when it's working, why screw around with it? My dealer tells me he seldom has more than 2 or 3 at the most in his new car inventory at any one time. The SC400/300 was in production with very few changes for over 10 years. The one big change they made, adding that stupid "grill" to the front, almost killed the car, considered by many one of the most beautiful designs of a production car ever.

I would not expect to see any changes to the SC430 any time soon. I don't think they've even added any new colors.
Wow I agree
Lexus pretty much "perfects" coupes where changes are really not needed or any changes hurt the shape. Many argue the origianl 92-96 design of the SC is more pure than the grill added, skirt laden 97-00 model.
The SC 430 has such a sensuous shape, you can't really change much without destroying the whole car. Lexus I am sure has some models but it probably hurts the overall look.
Old 01-12-05, 06:23 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default next sc430

I hope Lexus continues it's present methods of keeping a car virtually the same for 7-8 years. I'm not a big fan of the sc430 but it is a decent seller and a nice car. I hate the way some manufacturers like Honda change a car every 3 years. That takes away the soul of a car. Breaks the lineage. Muddles the bloodlines.
A little freshening might be okay but carefully. Like 1sick said, a lot of people think the sc400/300 changes after 96 took away from the car. For the sc430, I would love to see better headlight treatment. I could actually see myself driving one if those darn headlights....oops, I forgot I'm in the sc430 section. It's a very nice car but for me it could use a little refreshening....just a little.
Old 01-12-05, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by reggiek
I hope Lexus continues it's present methods of keeping a car virtually the same for 7-8 years. I'm not a big fan of the sc430 but it is a decent seller and a nice car. I hate the way some manufacturers like Honda change a car every 3 years. That takes away the soul of a car. Breaks the lineage. Muddles the bloodlines.
A little freshening might be okay but carefully. Like 1sick said, a lot of people think the sc400/300 changes after 96 took away from the car. For the sc430, I would love to see better headlight treatment. I could actually see myself driving one if those darn headlights....oops, I forgot I'm in the sc430 section. It's a very nice car but for me it could use a little refreshening....just a little.
man you are asking for it huh

for me the headlights are ok. the taillight are what i would complain about, if ever
Old 01-12-05, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow I agree
Lexus pretty much "perfects" coupes where changes are really not needed or any changes hurt the shape. Many argue the origianl 92-96 design of the SC is more pure than the grill added, skirt laden 97-00 model.
The SC 430 has such a sensuous shape, you can't really change much without destroying the whole car. Lexus I am sure has some models but it probably hurts the overall look.
haha that's funny mike, i must be crazy but if i have to choose sc, i actually like the later yr one, it looks more elegant to me somehow
Old 01-12-05, 09:18 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
haha that's funny mike, i must be crazy but if i have to choose sc, i actually like the later yr one, it looks more elegant to me somehow
I agree with you I actually like the SC better with the grill
Old 01-13-05, 09:16 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default refresh

I'd think that LEDs in the tails and maybe front headlight blinkers would be nice, and hope that they'd eliminate the yellow lens in the tails IMHO. They'll probably do something with the headlights like they did with the current ES. I guarentee that the grill will be revised somehow.
Old 01-13-05, 11:25 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
The SC400/300 was in production with very few changes for over 10 years. The one big change they made, adding that stupid "grill" to the front, almost killed the car, considered by many one of the most beautiful designs of a production car ever.
Aww c'mon guys. If you take a bone stock '92 SC and a '97 (grille) and put them side by side you'd most definitely see how the '92 looks it's age. The grille was a nice touch IMO. I like it so much, I added it to my '92. Along with a full kit as well. Remember also it's not just the grille, the lower portion of the bumper was streamlined and less boxy.

For example!

My car when I bought it:

And after a few tweaks (including that "horrid" grille):

I have to consider the newer bumper a slight improvement from the old. It just looks lightyears more modern now.

And as for the 5-speeds, they were available from '92-'97. Mine's a 5-speed and I highly recommend the experience.
Old 01-13-05, 11:50 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by delirium
Does anyone Know when the next generation SC is due to come out? The current model has been out for about 4 years?
4 'Model years' is correct delirium.......what was the 'year range' on the previous generation SC? That might give you an idea of when the next generation is due out.
Old 01-13-05, 12:06 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
what was the 'year range' on the previous generation SC? That might give you an idea of when the next generation is due out.
It was 8 years. 1992 -2000 with 2 facelifts in between for 3 different variations.

92-94, 95-96, 97-00.
Old 01-13-05, 01:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lexus cars tend to be around 7 to 8 yrs anyway, so i think we are safe

and yeah, love that grille imho

now that i look at the sc430 taillights, wonder if we can clear the amber
Old 01-13-05, 01:59 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

It can't look "lightyears more modern" because a light year is a unit of distance, not of time.

On the other hand, I did hear that the stick shift 300 models were a lot of fun to drive.

Over and out.
Old 01-13-05, 03:38 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default sc430

Originally Posted by rominl
man you are asking for it huh

for me the headlights are ok. the taillight are what i would complain about, if ever

Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment.
Seriously though, the sc430 is sweet. I guess a lot of us just think it is too much of a departure from the 400/300 lineage....taking the sleekness out. I would have liked it better if it was called the c430 or gt430 (coupe or grand tourer). Sportcoupe, to me that means sleek sporty coupe. My wife loves it. I'm planning on getting the g35. She wants me to get the sc430. The Lexus is a better car but it's more expensive and not giving me what I want for the price. Sleekness and quickness. Plus, I'd have to mod the heck out of it to like it. The g35 only needs a set of wheels.

Again, sc430 is a sweet car. No question about that.

Quick Reply: Next Generation SC430?