SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Next Generation SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-05, 10:19 AM
delirium
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Generation SC430?

Does anyone Know when the next generation SC is due to come out? The current model has been out for about 4 years?
Old 01-09-05, 01:15 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by delirium
Does anyone Know when the next generation SC is due to come out? The current model has been out for about 4 years?
If I recall correctly the SC430 was introduced in `02, which would make that model about 3 years' old. Just my 2-cents, but I like everything about my `04 SC; I'm not ready for a change yet.
Old 01-09-05, 01:18 PM
Red Baron
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

I talked to one of my Dallas Lexus dealer yesrterday about that and they said no plans for awhile given the 7 year run so far for models.
He also said : "why would Lexus change a good thing, the car is selling very well".
He also said, that all speculation is based on rummors of an IS convertible model, that has people talking and making it to be a new SC model.
So there you have it, no definite answer to your question.
Old 01-10-05, 01:20 AM
goober
Driver School Candidate

Question

Hope they dont change anytime soon. I got a 4 year lease on my 2005.
Buy the way... if I get new wheels, does it void the warrenty or lease contract in any way?
Old 01-10-05, 01:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

there will be a face lift for the 2006 that will be released by the end of this year. so i have a feeling it will be another 2 - 3 yrs before we seeing anything significant
Old 01-10-05, 08:53 PM
delirium
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
there will be a face lift for the 2006 that will be released by the end of this year. so i have a feeling it will be another 2 - 3 yrs before we seeing anything significant
Facelift!? any spy shots or speculations of what it will look like?
Old 01-10-05, 09:05 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm guessing that the 2006 model may see a midlife facelift aswell as the 6-Speed Automatic transmission and the push engine start thing that is seen in the third-gen GS and current LS 430. And if there was to be an update Lexus is very secretive and finding pictures or information will be nowhere to be found.
Old 01-10-05, 11:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Facelift!? any spy shots or speculations of what it will look like?
nop, no one has the pics yet i believe
Old 01-10-05, 11:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I'm guessing that the 2006 model may see a midlife facelift aswell as the 6-Speed Automatic transmission and the push engine start thing that is seen in the third-gen GS and current LS 430. And if there was to be an update Lexus is very secretive and finding pictures or information will be nowhere to be found.
yeah i wonder if the 6 speed will be here, that would suck coz' i like that a lot more than the 5 speed on the current sc430. a lot faster and much better throttle response. the ls430 doesn't have the push engine start, it has the smart key that's all. you still turn the ignition i wonder if that will make its way to the sc430 facelift?
Old 01-11-05, 06:34 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

For what it's worth, the car has been on the market since April 15 of '01 (with an '02 model designation). I got my car about two weeks later, just at the end of April, and the 4 year warranty runs out in another two months.

Even with 4 years on the market, the "concept car" was shown at the Detroit and Chicago auto shows in February and March of 2000, and there are no differences between that car and the first production cars.

By that standard, the car has been unchanged for about 6 and a half years, although only available for four years. Still, when it's working, why screw around with it? My dealer tells me he seldom has more than 2 or 3 at the most in his new car inventory at any one time. The SC400/300 was in production with very few changes for over 10 years. The one big change they made, adding that stupid "grill" to the front, almost killed the car, considered by many one of the most beautiful designs of a production car ever.

I would not expect to see any changes to the SC430 any time soon. I don't think they've even added any new colors.
Old 01-11-05, 02:55 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

>adding that stupid "grill" to the front<
Ah ... so I'm not alone, Tim

Whenever an SC300/400 came into sight, my head jerked toward it as if on a leash. I loved that design. So I began to look into purchasing a new one and found that the new model had a redesigned front end I did NOT like. So I began looking for a used ... oops ... previously owned model.

Of course, everything changed when the SC430 was announced. I ordered one in March of 2001 and picked it up in July. If I had another garage, I'd look for a nice '92 SC300 with a manual transmission. (I think that's the last year a manual was offered).

Tim ... considering all the expensive and complex electromechanical doodads in this car, do you plan to purchase an extended warranty?
Old 01-11-05, 05:54 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

Generally speaking, from what I know, extended warranties are usually considered not worth the cost.

However, my 4 year original warranty runs out in April, and I will sit down with someone at the dealership before then and review the options and the costs. (Right after I check the car over to see if anything needs attention under the original warranty -- I can't think of anything now that needs to be fixed.)

I imagine I will keep this car for quite some time (I had my SC400 for 10 years, and only changed when the convertible showed up), so maybe I will and maybe I won't, depending on the cost and the coverage. As of right now, I have not ruled it out, even though I generally do not buy extended warranties on anything.

It may also depend on how many of the complex doodads are covered.

Stay tuned. Full report to follow.
Old 01-11-05, 09:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tfischer
For what it's worth, the car has been on the market since April 15 of '01 (with an '02 model designation). I got my car about two weeks later, just at the end of April, and the 4 year warranty runs out in another two months.

Even with 4 years on the market, the "concept car" was shown at the Detroit and Chicago auto shows in February and March of 2000, and there are no differences between that car and the first production cars.

By that standard, the car has been unchanged for about 6 and a half years, although only available for four years. Still, when it's working, why screw around with it? My dealer tells me he seldom has more than 2 or 3 at the most in his new car inventory at any one time. The SC400/300 was in production with very few changes for over 10 years. The one big change they made, adding that stupid "grill" to the front, almost killed the car, considered by many one of the most beautiful designs of a production car ever.

I would not expect to see any changes to the SC430 any time soon. I don't think they've even added any new colors.
yeah i agree about the style of the sc430. it was way ahead of its time back in 01 when it was debut. anther timeless car imho. right now the car is still very fresh imho, and all dealers are always sold out on the car

i think a little facelift is warranted, but redesign it's still early (which i like coz' i have teh car, haha)
Old 01-11-05, 09:40 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Lexus may be a bit more inclined to do at least a minor facelift in the next year or two, simply because there is a little more competition in the hardtop convertible market now (with several other manufacturers slated to introduce hardtop models soon, if reports are accurate). Competition speeds up the process, even at Lexus.

I still think the car looks great, of course, but I'd be ready to trade for a MY2006 if anyone at Lexus is listening...
Old 01-11-05, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by XZLR8
I think Lexus may be a bit more inclined to do at least a minor facelift in the next year or two, simply because there is a little more competition in the hardtop convertible market now (with several other manufacturers slated to introduce hardtop models soon, if reports are accurate). Competition speeds up the process, even at Lexus.

I still think the car looks great, of course, but I'd be ready to trade for a MY2006 if anyone at Lexus is listening...
i am anxious to see what the facelift would be like for the 06, maybe i can put some of the new cosmetic stuff on mine

Quick Reply: Next Generation SC430?