SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navigation System help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 05:07 PM
discipline
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation System help

I bought my SC430 in Sweden two years ago and recently moved to the Canary Islands, taking my car with me. The European navigation DVD does not cover the Canary Islands, so I need to get a new DVD. So.. I went to the local Toyota/Lexus dealer down here and he says there is no such DVD becuase the navigation satellites does not reach us. This is a load of crap, because I get a correct longitude/latitude in the system and other cars down here have navigation systems.

So. My questions is: Does anyone know where I can get a navigation DVD for my part of the world? Or can anyone at least point me to the company that sells these units to Lexus, so I can continue my hunt for a DVD somepalce?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-11-05, 06:05 PM
tfischer

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

I think the G in GPS stands for "Global," so I would think that the problem is not access to the sat data, but instead is probably that there is not enough demand to justify the expense of putting together a DVD for parts of the world where demand would not justify the cost of production.

I do not know who publishes this data for Lexus, but I would think you could be able to find that out, as there cannot be a lot of companies in that business.

I would start by making inquiries of Lexus at the regional or even at the world headquarters. You also might ask around at local dealerships who sell cars locally with NAV systems in them, if any, and see what they say. The problem is that you will have to get a DVD formatted for the system in the Lexus, as I am pretty sure that every manufacturer has its own format and contracts out for its own data discs (eg: the NAV system in my car shows the location of all the Lexus and Toyota dealerships in the country, but I don't think it has the locations of other dealerships tagged as "Points of Interest." )

Good luck.
Old 01-11-05, 06:18 PM
discipline
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..but instead is probably that there is not enough demand to justify the expense of putting together a DVD for parts of the world where demand would not justify the cost of production
That might be right. However, Mercedes does have a nav system that works down here (even with smaller roads). So.. I really hope Lexus does too!

Anyone have a good connection at Lexus that might know about these things?
Old 01-11-05, 09:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah i think it's just that they don't have all the maps and stuff of the area you are in, that's why there is no dvd. it's just like yrs ago there were nav from lexus in canada but not acura.