SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430s abundant? Leases up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 11:11 AM
LexFather

Default SC430s abundant? Leases up?

I just was browsing Lexus Certified cars. They have 22 pages worth of SC 430. This page was no longer than 2-3 pages 6 months ago. So leases are up and they are being turned back into Lexus?
Old 01-20-05, 03:38 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, and the prices are coming down quickly. I've seen certified '02s advertised for 42,900 in the Washington Post.

George
Old 01-20-05, 06:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem
Yes, and the prices are coming down quickly. I've seen certified '02s advertised for 42,900 in the Washington Post.

George
My girlfriend has a picture by her wall with Carpe Diem on it..
Latin and Greek phrases

Definition of: carpe diem
carpe diem: Usually explained, according to popular ideas of Epicurian philosophy, as - Enjoy the present day; but capable of higher interpretation - Seize the present opportunity; improve time.

42k ain't bad for a 3 year old ride. She is holding her value well.
Old 01-20-05, 10:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yeah the sc430 has one of the highest residual value, even quite a bit higher than that of the ls430. amazing
Old 01-21-05, 02:10 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen several SC's for under 40k....some as low as $36k on Ebay.
Old 01-21-05, 04:08 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Yes, there are many cheap ones on ebay. When they are offered by Lexus dealers, I think they try to work the certification into the deal after the bidding closes. I don't recall seeing a certified one for less than $40K anywhere. I think that Lexus dealers generally don't handle late model cares that aren't certifiable (e.g., over 60k miles). Those go wholesalers.

I think the literal interpretation of carpe diem is seize the day which works to both of your definitions.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 01-21-05 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-21-05, 08:34 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Yes, there are many cheap ones on ebay. When they are offered by Lexus dealers, I think they try to work the certification into the deal after the bidding closes. I don't recall seeing a certified one for less than $40K anywhere. I think that Lexus dealers generally don't handle late model cares that aren't certifiable (e.g., over 60k miles). Those go wholesalers.

I think the literal interpretation of carpe diem is seize the day which works to both of your definitions.

George
You are correct; there are many cheap ones on e bay. However, that does not mean that they have been successfully sold. I have found that people are bargain hunting on ebay and the bid prices shown rarely meet the reserve.
Old 01-21-05, 08:53 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Right, and many dealers just repeatedly relist the same high reserve cars. I think they see this as a way to generate prospect lists. I know I asked a couple of questions about an ebay sc430 a year or so ago and still get email from the dealer (a Lexus dealer in Buffalo).
Old 01-26-05, 09:36 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I just purchsed my 02 in October after a very long, exhaustive nationwide search. I bid on many SC's on ebay, talked with owners, searched autorader, cars.com etc. The ones on ebay rarely sold as reserves were not met. I was high bidder on a bunch hoping to negotiate a 2nd chance offer and was never successful getting that special price. So I agree with other posters, most cars on ebay did not sell at low prices, In general, I did not find any great deals out there but believed that I was intimate enough with the market to get a fair deal. I found a CPO with 16K on the clock for $45 and bought it.

I have not looked back since.

al
Old 01-26-05, 09:47 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Right, and many dealers just repeatedly relist the same high reserve cars. I think they see this as a way to generate prospect lists. I know I asked a couple of questions about an ebay sc430 a year or so ago and still get email from the dealer (a Lexus dealer in Buffalo).
Carpe

where in VA, Richmond here

al
Old 01-26-05, 02:34 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Hi Al,

Alexandria here.

I also looked for a long time before buying my red/ecru 02 with 19K miles last spring. At that time the cheapest CPO cars around here were priced in the low 50s. I looked for a late 02 to maximize the remaining manufacturers warranty. I found one in a private deal that was in service in April of 02 so there were two full years of bumper-to-bumper remaining. I paid less than 45 but had to replace a couple tires and wheels to bring it up to CPO condition. If I choose to, I can buy the Lexus extended warranty to pick up when the bumper-to-bumper ends but don't have any plans to do that. Another plus was that I bought the car in Delaware were they don't use a front plate. Its registered in VA and I've been driving it without a front plate since then. I've never been stopped or questioned about it. I also debadged the front. Here a picture from my gallery

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/1

Anyway, I love it but think I baby it too much. When I bought it I was commited to make it my daily driver. Well, I've had it 9 months and driven it only 5 K miles. I really only drive it on nice days and my old Volvo gets all the dirty work. Somehow that seems like a proper division of usage.

I really haven't done much else except paint the brake calipers, put on star (twist) caps, replaced all the tires with Dunlop 5000 DSSTs (the current OEM all season runflat tire) and added LuxLink.

I just bought another set of wheels last week and this spring I'm going to try conventional tires. I'm still pondering which ones but think they will be summer, not all season. I'll keep the Dunlops for winter backups.

George

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 01-26-05 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 02:44 PM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Hi Al,

Alexandria here.

I also looked for a long time before buying my red/ecru 02 with 19K miles last spring. At that time the cheapest CPO cars around here were priced in the low 50s. I looked for a late 02 to maximize the remaining manufacturers warranty. I found one in a private deal that was in service in April of 02 so there were two full years of bumper-to-bumper remaining. I paid less than 45 but had to replace a couple tires and wheels to bring it up to CPO condition. If I choose to, I can buy the Lexus extended warranty to pick up when the bumper-to-bumper ends but don't have any plans to do that. Another plus was that I bought the car in Delaware were they don't use a front plate. Its registered in VA and I've been driving it without a front plate since then. I've never been stopped or questioned about it. I also debadged the front. Here a picture from my gallery

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...cat/500/page/1

Anyway, I love it but think I baby it too much. When I bought it I was commited to make it my daily driver. Well, I've had it 9 months and driven it only 5 K miles. I really only drive it on nice days and my old Volvo gets all the dirty work. Somehow that seems like a proper division of usage.

I really haven't done much else except paint the brake calipers, put on star (twist) caps, replaced all the tires with Dunlop 5000 DSSTs (the current OEM all season runflat tire) and added LuxLink.

I just bought another set of wheels last week and this spring I'm going to try conventional tires. I'm still pondering which ones but think they will be summer, not all season. I'll keep the Dunlops for winter backups.

George
Car looks very nice. Did you de badge the rear? It is equally as big an improvement as takig out the belt buckle in the front.
Old 01-26-05, 03:13 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Hi Lou,

Thanks. No I haven't done the back yet. While the big L in the front is unbalanced in my opinion, I'm not really bothered by those smaller tasteful badges in the back. However I have seen pictures of debadged backs on here (yours included) and do like that look. I may try it this spring.

George
Old 01-26-05, 08:28 PM
SCM3
Driver School Candidate

In November I purchased a non-certified 02 with 36K miles for $39,500. My wife loves it!
Old 01-27-05, 04:31 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Hi Lou,

Thanks. No I haven't done the back yet. While the big L in the front is unbalanced in my opinion, I'm not really bothered by those smaller tasteful badges in the back. However I have seen pictures of debadged backs on here (yours included) and do like that look. I may try it this spring.

George
Nice pics

As far as modding, debadging or anything at all for the SC (black/ecru), it's out of the question for me.

I bought the SC for my wife, lol.

I have gone full circle with cars over the past few years. I had a 96 mustange cobra convertible that I put a blower on, sold that for a 2002 BMW 540i 6 speed, had that for about 8 months before buying a 2003 M5. Drove that for a year, bought the SC, sold the M5 and paid off my house loan, hehehe. I recently picked up a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T 6 speed Quattro that had been chipped, springs, shocks, wheels, short shifter and various other mods. It is a fun car, plus inexpensive.

Don't know what's next.

al

Quick Reply: SC430s abundant? Leases up?