SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

PI Torque Convertor on an SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 10:44 AM
imbuggin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

torque converter question--- has anyone tried this on an sc430? If so where did you get it and does your check engine light stay on?
Old 01-20-05, 10:57 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imbuggin
torque converter question--- has anyone tried this on an sc430? If so where did you get it and does your check engine light stay on?
Post this question in the SC430 section for better responses

This forum is for us poor folk with the older model SC's.
Old 01-20-05, 01:51 PM
RobSoVIP
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I understand- there have been some issues with using TC's on 430 models. I have read a few post talking about the difficulties of getting a TC to work on a GS430. I dont know if these problems also exist with the SC430, but I would assume they would.
Old 01-20-05, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400texas
From what I understand- there have been some issues with using TC's on 430 models. I have read a few post talking about the difficulties of getting a TC to work on a GS430. I dont know if these problems also exist with the SC430, but I would assume they would.
there is no difficulties, there is just the check engine light that's all, and it's not fully against the engine, it just says something weird on the tranny stall speed, which is exactly the point of the tc

if you want, you can serach on the gs forum, a lot of people have it i ntheir cars
Old 02-07-05, 03:41 PM
Paul2x
Pole Position

two different TQ converters in the car and no problems....lights, etc...
Old 02-07-05, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Paul2x
two different TQ converters in the car and no problems....lights, etc...
you mean you got tc on the car and no check engine light? what tc have you tried so far?
Old 02-08-05, 05:13 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Paul, with the higher horsepower would you want to go with an aftermarket torque converter? My concern would be loss of traction from a standing start.

Weny
Old 02-08-05, 08:12 AM
Paul2x
Pole Position

The car as had two... one was a dragon which is an affiliate of Level 10, but the one that is in there now is a Billet Racing

There were no problems with either...just went with the Billet TC because you can go with custom stall speeds.

All in all they work about the same, what really makes the difference with these cars is modifing the factory shift selionids, and valve body of the trans.....(old V8 trick)

Weny:
Normal to aggressive driving off the line they are still about the same,(Unless you brake torque it, where you'll notice the higher stall speed) where you see the difference is in how much less it slips between each gear.

If traction becomes an issue, go with some bigger rubber....if its still a problem, you can go with a limited slip diff. (makes a huge difference)

so you have some options, ......So if you have higher HP you still want to go with an aftermarket TC because the factory won't hold up to the added Hp and Tq.

Note: Even with upgraded TC, modified valve body and selnoids, the Tranny ...i.e internals is only good for about 400whp after that .... LOL..

Hope that helps a little

Paul
Old 02-08-05, 09:54 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Paul, thanks for the advice. Havent seen you on the forum in awhile. So what transmission upgrades did you do? My car is going to SRT this weekend for a custom procharger setup. They tell me they can rebuild my tranny to handle the extra hp. Any advice regarding the trans would be greatly appreciated.

Weny
Old 02-08-05, 01:49 PM
imbuggin
Driver

Default modified valve body and selnoids

paul can you give us more info on the modified valve body and selnoids. Did you do it yourself? I would love to get up to the 400hp mark. Thanks
Old 02-08-05, 02:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's very interesting note paul, thanks for the info. when i put in the PI tc, i hope there is no cel too, that would be a blessing btw, with pi actually you can order custom stall speed too
Old 02-09-05, 12:54 PM
Paul2x
Pole Position

Yeah, its been a while... the lexus just got out of the shop a few weeks ago since last April.
So just spent time breaking parts on the GTR and evo, LOL..

First time around, the tranny just recieved a valve body adjustment, slightly modified shift selnoids and the upgraded TC, was good but started acting up when Tq #'s got close to 450ftlbs.

Second time around it recieved a complete re-build, with stronger shot-peen'd
and cryo treated gears, a custom valve body was created and a the shift selinoids were futher modified. The rear end was replaced for a toyota tundra unit and a TRD 1.5 way LSD was installed.

SRT is good, they know what there doing over there. Their built tranny is very simular to what I have.

imbuggin:
Not really , thats why I just send it out and have someone else do the tranny stuff...LOL
what i do know is that modifing the valve body is an old V8 trick that is used on the auto muscle cars' to flow better and ingage/disengage better. Not too much that you can do with the shift selnoids, but you can set them up to open and close faster under high load to shift harder.
Under normal driving it will drive the same as stock....when u floor it it will bang the gears and doesn't slip as much between gears.

Paul