SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Thinking of selling CL500 and buying SC430...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 05:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SexySC
oh i was saying that there are some "better" interior for handling, specially those on the m power and amg. but if you talk about overall interior, the sc430 blows it away
Old 01-21-05, 05:41 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it is a 2000 and I did update the tails, the old ones looked dull to me.
I think I am going to stop by a dealer here next week to drive one (SC430) again.
Old 01-21-05, 11:44 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to say that CL exterior is something. But with that long list of problems I just personally can't deal with. When we had the MB, my wife and I always said that MB is for the riches because the parts and maintenance is just too much to handle. Yeah, we had to change the rotor and brake just 35k miles on her car also. You will be in good hand with SC for sure!
Old 01-22-05, 01:34 PM
Tjz
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For whatever it is worth.....If you buy snow tires for your SC430, you will have a year round cruiser. I live in Chicago and put Blizzaks on this winter. My SC handles great with better traction than my wifes FX35 AWD in the snow.

TjZ
Old 01-22-05, 07:11 PM
PB430
Driver School Candidate

Default My M3 convertible was a disaster - the 430 is a gem

I sold my 2003.5 M3 convertible within 6 months because it was plagued with problems. The SC430 Pebble Beach (about the same price) has been a gem with the exception of some very minor problems. Great car and you can't beat the reliability.
Old 01-23-05, 12:46 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coming from someone who had 6 tickets in a like amount of time when I owned a 300zx turbo I bought new, thats just stupid. the insurance surcharges must suck. here in kerrychusetts you get a point for each one and each one lasts for 6 years on your record. also I am surprised you paid for a cracked windshied. here in blue state hell thats a FREE insurance replacement. I love the cl 500 but I think benzes are for suckers. they just dont live up to the hype. I cant wait to drive an sc 430 in the spring. I love the feel of the seats and some of the other touches but its not very practical. the wife wants an rx so if we get it I am thinking I can halfway justify an sc. I am disappointed it doent have the perforated leather seats with heating and cooling like my ls. they are very very soft but still... . and the auto door closers and park sensors have me spoiled. still... I cant get the sc out of my head. and losing the run flats would be the first thing I did if I bought it. gotta have a comfortable ride I think in a lexus. this damned ls is spoiling me for any other car.
Old 01-23-05, 01:20 AM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

those problems you have are pretty surprising. didn't know it could be that bad. i too thought they got better as u went up to s, cl and sl. but then again, my mom's friend was driving her cl500 down a hill and it died on her.
Old 01-23-05, 06:53 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Hey mj. How much mileage do you have on your car. How much would you be asking for it? Anyways id go for the SC i love it.
Old 01-23-05, 08:22 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

I bought an SC for my wife and she absolutely loves it. i drive it occaisionally and find the interior to be outstanding in all regards. The power is good, the drop top mechanism is flawless and the body styling makes it unique. The only negatives I can find with the car is ride quality on bad roads with the runflats.

good luck with your decision

al
Old 01-23-05, 12:44 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Default jeeze

sounds like a total piece of crap, i was looking at a 2002 the other day. the lot had one with 30ish k miles n was real cheap. Nice but if its a heap, they can keep it.
Old 01-23-05, 01:43 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fireballs gs400
sounds like a total piece of crap, i was looking at a 2002 the other day. the lot had one with 30ish k miles n was real cheap. Nice but if its a heap, they can keep it.

what did they want for an 02? 60?
Old 01-23-05, 04:18 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjr24
Anyways, my price range...I am looking at the SC, the new 7 series, that is probably it. I am leaning towards the SC because it is a little more rare, it is a convertible too, and Lexus quality...enough said.
I'm obviously a fan of both the new 7-series and the SC, as I have both in my garage. I am a BMW person at heart, but Lexus will always win the reliability contest. As much as I love my 7-series, if you're looking at pre-owned vehicles, I would caution you away from considering '02 and '03 745s as they had more than their share of problems as well. I should know. BMW bought back two from me.

If you're looking at '05 745s, there are some really great lease deals out there since the '06 7-series is set to get a minor "facelift." They also seem to have the earlier bugs and glitches worked out that plagued the first and second years of the model cycle.

Obviously, the SC is a phenomenal (yet completely different) car with an undeniable track record for reliability.
Old 01-24-05, 12:21 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

lexus, I really havent thought about what I would want for it, I am still in the preliminary stages of deciding what to do. It has 42k miles on it, I bought it last January with 11k. It was obviously a cherry then, 3k miles average per year.
The new 7 somewhat scares me too, those cars have depreciated even faster than the higher end Benzes. 7 series are around for the low to mid 40s now. For other reasons, I havent been a huge BMW fan. I do put alot of miles on cars I drive, I dont think leasing would be a good idea, which is yet another reason I dont necessarily want an 80k car. The depreciation is bad enough not including I put 2x as many miles in a year on cars than most others do, that will make the depreciation that much bigger.
I still think the new SL's are stellar. There is no doubt that the next car I get, if I do sell the CL, will only be a 12-18 month car until the SL's come down and most of the depreciation is gone to where I would buy one.
Old 01-24-05, 02:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man, mj.... to be honest...... no matter what other car you get, it seems like it's going to be better than the cl...... we were considering the cl500 too when we were shopping for the new car. but the price range for the cl500 as a used car was just stupid compred to what we had to pay for the sc430 new.....

seems like we made the right choice
Old 01-24-05, 11:05 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

May I add in another CL problem as we speak...LOL...there is about 11 inches of white stuff on the ground, but my CL says it was 82 degrees most of today. I wanted to get to the Lexus dealer this weekend but we had a huge snow storm so I am aiming for this next weekend.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling CL500 and buying SC430...?