SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Thinking of selling CL500 and buying SC430...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-05, 02:19 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling CL500 and buying SC430...?

I am thinking of selling my CL500. I bought the car for $65k a year ago and I think book on it now is something like $48k...so I will break even after paying off the loan. My main reasons for this are....I dont want to continue paying $940 a month for this car when I could buy a CL now, same year, same mileage....and be paying $750 a month because of the depreciation.
Also, my CL has given me problem after problem. My old SC400 had 200k miles and gave me 1/10 of the problems, seriously.
Basically....in the price range I want to spend....I would love a new SL, but again, dont want to continue paying $1000 a month when those too will be obtainable for probably $50k in another year to 18 months. Anyways, my price range...I am looking at the SC, the new 7 series, that is probably it. I am leaning towards the SC because it is a little more rare, it is a convertible too, and Lexus quality...enough said.
A few questions....I drive a good mileage every year....30k. Are the 2002's pretty well made or are there alot of bugs? I think that was the problem I had with my CL, it was the first year of the newest body style and there were alot of bugs. What were some of the factory options you could get on the SC at the dealer? I dont believe there were many. Any other suggestions?
I did testdrive a SC before I bought the CL last January, but its been so long I really dont remember much. The Navi was awesome, the best out I think....and it was pretty fast (the car). Isnt it small inside the cabin? Maybe I have that premonition because it is a 2 seater.
Old 01-21-05, 08:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mjr24
I am thinking of selling my CL500. I bought the car for $65k a year ago and I think book on it now is something like $48k...so I will break even after paying off the loan. My main reasons for this are....I dont want to continue paying $940 a month for this car when I could buy a CL now, same year, same mileage....and be paying $750 a month because of the depreciation.
Also, my CL has given me problem after problem. My old SC400 had 200k miles and gave me 1/10 of the problems, seriously.
Basically....in the price range I want to spend....I would love a new SL, but again, dont want to continue paying $1000 a month when those too will be obtainable for probably $50k in another year to 18 months. Anyways, my price range...I am looking at the SC, the new 7 series, that is probably it. I am leaning towards the SC because it is a little more rare, it is a convertible too, and Lexus quality...enough said.
A few questions....I drive a good mileage every year....30k. Are the 2002's pretty well made or are there alot of bugs? I think that was the problem I had with my CL, it was the first year of the newest body style and there were alot of bugs. What were some of the factory options you could get on the SC at the dealer? I dont believe there were many. Any other suggestions?
I did testdrive a SC before I bought the CL last January, but its been so long I really dont remember much. The Navi was awesome, the best out I think....and it was pretty fast (the car). Isnt it small inside the cabin? Maybe I have that premonition because it is a 2 seater.
The SC 430 is the highest quality car in its class and had the lowest problems reported ever according to JD Power. Very impressive since it is a retractable hardtop.
Old 01-21-05, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

of all the threads and info i read, there are very very few problems with the sc430, and they are all very minor. the important thing is that the drive train is all good. so i think it's safe

definitely go and test drive the car to see if you like it, it's very different from euro cars

and persoanlly, i love the cl500, thought about it when getting the sc430, but couldn't really justify it
Old 01-21-05, 11:54 AM
Johnny3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Mercedes SL ,sold it, got 04- 430, could'nt be happier, have'nt had to spend the day at a Dealership since, no comparison quality wise, now I can spend my vacation days running around in my convertable instead of sitting at dealer's pissed off.
Old 01-21-05, 01:31 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The SC 430 is the highest quality car in its class and had the lowest problems reported ever according to JD Power. Very impressive since it is a retractable hardtop.
Exactly. Every once in awhile, I remind myself that I'm currently driving the MOST reliable car ever made. So when you're talking reliability, it's really a non-issue with the SC430, and you can move on to other reasons to buy or not.
http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/28/pf/a...rvey/index.htm

Yes, the interior is smaller than a CL. (Until you drop the top of the SC. Opens things up a bit.)

The Nav is great. Probably not as good as Acura's now. But no one displays their Nav unit anywhere near as dynamic-like as the SC. Bond... James Bond.

You didn't mention what year CL you have. I had a '98 and had very few problems with it. I just got bored and wanted to try something else. As soon as I popped the top of the SC430 and cranked the industry-tops sound system, it was all over. That, and the best interior on the market were the factors that led to my purchase.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-05, 02:23 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a very encourage news. One of my friend who also hates MB was trying to tell me once you get up to S, CL and SL class, the problems decreased. I was very skeptical about that but since I don't have friends own any of these I can't verify his statement. My wife's MB was a real piece of junk! that is why we got rid of it! Get a SC, man!!
Old 01-21-05, 02:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
This is a very encourage news. One of my friend who also hates MB was trying to tell me once you get up to S, CL and SL class, the problems decreased. I was very skeptical about that but since I don't have friends own any of these I can't verify his statement. My wife's MB was a real piece of junk! that is why we got rid of it! Get a SC, man!!
no way, as soon as you go to dealership for a day and see how many cars come in and how many of them are the top class models, you will say it's a joke. the problems on the sl is horrible
Old 01-21-05, 02:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Roofless
Exactly. Every once in awhile, I remind myself that I'm currently driving the MOST reliable car ever made. So when you're talking reliability, it's really a non-issue with the SC430, and you can move on to other reasons to buy or not.
http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/28/pf/a...rvey/index.htm

Yes, the interior is smaller than a CL. (Until you drop the top of the SC. Opens things up a bit.)

The Nav is great. Probably not as good as Acura's now. But no one displays their Nav unit anywhere near as dynamic-like as the SC. Bond... James Bond.

You didn't mention what year CL you have. I had a '98 and had very few problems with it. I just got bored and wanted to try something else. As soon as I popped the top of the SC430 and cranked the industry-tops sound system, it was all over. That, and the best interior on the market were the factors that led to my purchase.

Good luck.
i agree, the sc430 has one of the best interiors i haev seen so far, overall. there are better handling interiors i have seen, but the sc430 is perfect for daily use
Old 01-21-05, 03:33 PM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

The reliability issue is well documented -- this seems to be one of the most reliable cars ever made. I do not have a lot of miles on my SC430, but I have had it since the second week they went on sale, and I have had no problems at all.

As for options, the only variables you will find among 2002 models are: some few did not have run-flats - these will have a spare in the trunk. (Some that may have come with run-flats may have had non-run-flats added -- if so, check to see if the tire pressure sensors still are working. They may not be, and they seldom are working if aftermarket wheels have been added.

For about one year, the NAV system was technically an option. A few cars (a very small percentage) did not have it. Those cars have no panel on the dash that opens up to reveal the NAV system touch-sensitive screen, and instead they have a small LCD Compass readout in the speedometer. The NAV system added about $2,000.00 to the sticker, so don't pay for it if you are not going to get it. A few may have not had the "spoiler" which was also technically an option, but it's so small and so inexpensive, it's of no concern now.

I think that's about it. All the audio systems were identical, and I do not believe there has been any change to it since introduction. The only other obvious visual option that is now available is the new wheel covers, which cost about $400.00 and give the wheels a 5-spoke look as opposed to a no-spoke "Pie Pan" look. I got those the first day they became available, about two years ago.

I like this car even more now than when I got it, and although I don't put a lot of miles on it on an annual basis, I have used it for many fairly long trips and it is a joy in every respect.
Old 01-21-05, 03:36 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree, the sc430 has one of the best interiors i haev seen so far, overall. there are better handling interiors i have seen . . .
Old 01-21-05, 03:42 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

This is my CL.

Old 01-21-05, 03:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

That's a nice looking car, & it's a facelifted CL500 too, so it can't be more than 2 years old, too bad it's giving you lots of problems. The SC430 will make you happier in this regard. It has been an almost flawless experience for me in the 2 + years I owned it, so I highly recommend it.
Old 01-21-05, 03:52 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a list of problems Ive had with my CL since I bought it in Jan. 04 with 11k miles...
1. After a month, the mass air flow meter went out....$800. Im glad I purchased the extended warranty.

2. Around the same time....the windshield cracked. It gets really cold here in Wisconsin, and my thinking is I turned on the defroster and it put a crack along the bottom of the windshield because of sudden temp. change from freezing to hot....sounds faulty to me, Benz dealer wasnt having that argument. I paid $1200 out of pocket for new windshield.

3. Got in accident in July. This was an ordeal and a half because CL prices and CL prices only, are 2x other Benz models for labor because they are constructed of magnesium. It was in for a month.

4. Brakes on the car needed to be done after only 35k miles? $1200 for labor and parts, brakes and rotors.

5. Air suspension kept malfunctioning. I would be driving, and basically the CL would drop an inch lower on one side of the car. I finally had that removed....valve blockage....$800 under warranty.

6. Friggin burlwood is cracking under the surface in a few spots.

7. One touch windows only go half the way up most times.

8. Oh, have I mentioned my insurance rate on this car with 6 tickets in the last 3 years?
This isnt to mention I was with Progressive 5 months before they paid out $9k for my car accident on that car.

Again, mine was a 2000, first year of the new CL, and I had heard there were several bugs that eventually were worked out, but who knows. I had to do this car once, it was my dream car, the Benz coupe. Plus, I am only 24, so it is the ultimate bachelor car, but not worth $950 a month too much longer. Also, as the dealer said, once you have paid off a car loan of this much, you will be able to walk into any dealer in the world and get any car with hardly any money down.

Last edited by mjr24; 01-21-05 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-21-05, 03:59 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

So your CL is a 2000 ? You must have changed the tail-lights That's still doesn't look good for a car with only 11K miles on it when you bought it last year, I'm not surprised you want to get rid of it.
Old 01-21-05, 05:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

man that's a nice car. but yeah, that's a long list of problems too.... honestly i have seen a lot more "problems" on the gs than on the sc. this car is amazing, and it's even a hard top that's even more amazing if you ask me

i think you will be very happy about the sc430

oh and i remember reading your thread about the accident on the cl a while back, sorry to hear taht again

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling CL500 and buying SC430...?