SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone else have creak from driver visor area?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 11:59 AM
YoungTurk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone else have creak from driver visor area?

My '05 has developed a persistent, annoying creak from the driver's side visor/roof headliner area. I also have one when opening the driver door, which seems to be coming from the forward edge of the door trim.

Any suggestions - dealer is 280 miles away. BTW - I thought Lexus' didn't creak or squeak.

YoungTurk
'05 SC 430 Silver/Black
Old 02-02-05, 12:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man i have no idea, my 05 doesn't have that problem

with the visor down, do you still have it. how about if you hold it when driving? or with both visors down, try to stick your finger in the gap where the roof got attached to the windsheild. are the gap on both sides the same?

the door, i have no idea
Old 02-02-05, 05:25 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Maybe the window pillar worked its way out and is binding with the door? I know this part just pops out.
Old 02-02-05, 09:43 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I get that occasionally.
For me, it's the visor itself. More of a chattering sound.
I just flip it down & back up -- sound goes away.
Old 02-02-05, 09:44 AM
YoungTurk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rominl
man i have no idea, my 05 doesn't have that problem

with the visor down, do you still have it. how about if you hold it when driving? or with both visors down, try to stick your finger in the gap where the roof got attached to the windsheild. are the gap on both sides the same?

the door, i have no idea
Thanks for the suggestions. I get the creaks visor up or down, and after inserting spacers between the visor and header. The creaks are constant and seem to come from the header.

After opening the door, I can press the door trim panel at its forward edge and reproduce the creak. I wonder whether after closing the door, the creak is being transmitted to the header? Probably not, but it's interesting its the same creak.

YoungTurk
Old 02-02-05, 11:18 AM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Anyone else have creak from driver visor area?

I hate to tell you but........... your Lexus is a Toyota built vehicle and Toyota/Lexus is known for creaks and rattles. We have Lexus vehicles and they rattle and honest to goodness I declare they both have bees buzzing loudly in the right front dash/passenger area.
Toyota/Lexus just can't seem to get it, or are not concerned, about building cars that do not have these annoying sounds. I would think a car company that supposedly prides itself with producing quality cars would somehow, just somehow, focus on eliminating these problems instead of continuing to build cars that are reminiscient of early twentieth century American car manufacturers concerning rattles.

GCrim21
Old 02-02-05, 11:27 AM
YoungTurk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gcrim21
I hate to tell you but........... your Lexus is a Toyota built vehicle and Toyota/Lexus is known for creaks and rattles. We have Lexus vehicles and they rattle and honest to goodness I declare they both have bees buzzing loudly in the right front dash/passenger area.
Toyota/Lexus just can't seem to get it, or are not concerned, about building cars that do not have these annoying sounds. I would think a car company that supposedly prides itself with producing quality cars would somehow, just somehow, focus on eliminating these problems instead of continuing to build cars that are reminiscient of early twentieth century American car manufacturers concerning rattles.

GCrim21
Then that is unacceptable. If I had known Lexus' were prone to rattles, I wouldn't have bought one. Period.

I'm not upset with you please understand, just more than a little upset about my car choice. The 2001 Porsche Boxster I had was as tight as a drum, with zero rattles. Best car I've ever owned.

YoungTurk
Old 02-02-05, 11:41 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gcrim21

GCrim21
I dont know what planet you're from, but toyota/lexus has always ranked high in build quality. I've had my 93 landcruiser for over 300k miles and it still drives better than my mercedes. My sc430 has close to 50k and it doesnt rattle a bit.
Old 02-02-05, 11:56 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Just got off the consumer reports website. EVERY Lexus/Toyota that they have tested has been recommend to the public. Compare that to the other makes that are listed.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1107373731571
Old 02-02-05, 12:06 PM
gcrim21
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: creaks and rattles

Originally Posted by sc430blue
I dont know what planet you're from, but toyota/lexus has always ranked high in build quality. I've had my 93 landcruiser for over 300k miles and it still drives better than my mercedes. My sc430 has close to 50k and it doesnt rattle a bit.
Good for you. I congratulate you on your good fortune!
IT'S the DADGUMMED RATTLES we are discussing, not how well they drive, ride or run.

GCrim21
Old 02-02-05, 12:33 PM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

ummmm......don't people USUALLY associate creaks and rattles to build quality and customer satisfaction? I simply disagree with your statement about the lexus/toyota brand being known for this. I backed up this statement with personal experience and a major publications opinion on the quality of the cars.
Old 02-02-05, 04:36 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

We have to remember our car is basically riding on bricks, so I'm surprised there're so few rattles. And yes, magazines are VERY critical of squeaks and rattles, and they're directly related to build quality. At least in the US.
Finally, I've had many expensive cars, and not ONE has been completely rattle free. When you're assembling hundreds of pieces together, it's perfectly normal for something to rattle on a pot hole or bump. This car is also a convertible; a hard-top convertible, but a convertible nonetheless. Will never be as solid as a fixed-roof car can be.

Nothing personal, but I'm going to take a guess this Gcrim guy doesn't own an SC430. For some reason, many folks decide to jump boards and make comments on cars they don't have.

Bottom line Turk, you can hardly find a car better built than ours (customer satisfaction index speaks for itself), but also understand no vehicle is perfect, and that goes for other brands as well. Whatever is bothering you, wait until you have 1000 miles or so, and take a trip to the dealer to make right whatever bothers you. If you want a perfect car, you're going to have to walk buddy. I was like you, until I realized I was being unreasonable, and driving myself crazy. It's worse on motorcycles, since they're considered recreational vehicles. Now I buy vehicles that are at least 2 years old (model wise; I always buy with 0 miles) to minimize problems, especially mechanical ones. And if I have one, I just deal with it the best possible way (I do most of the fixing and services myself). So far, I only took the car in ONCE in over a year, for the door rattle problem; that's it. I even passed on the 'free' oil change, and did it myself. Give the car and dealer a chance buddy; you'll be happy with it.

JC