SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windw Tinting on my SC430 Problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-05, 08:00 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windw Tinting on my SC430 Problems!!

Ive been wanting to tint my '02 SC430 blk/blk for a few weeks now and after the first installer tried to install them couldnt do it perfect so he took it off. Today, I tried a place that I was referred to here in town and they didnt do a good job i think. The installer told me that the rear windows could not cover completely to the edges b/c he did not have a tool that could reach that far b/c of the top being able to be down with the windows up. At the very corner of the window if u look from the outside, u can see that the tint doesnt go that far. Another thing, the two other windows he didnt cover very well. His reason, he says he left a gap b/c he didnt want it to peel. Is that at all true?

I want to go back tomorrow and ask him to take it off and refund my money.

why is it so hard to find a good installer for the sc430?

any help would do...

thanks in advance!

lisa
Old 02-02-05, 12:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm which tint shop did you go? did you talk to sam about it?

i am going to get my sc430 tinted very soon, i wonder what the installer would say. should probably ask him about it

i know the sc430 is very hard to tint though, coz' of the size of the car and how tight things are
Old 02-02-05, 05:23 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The place that installed mine had a machine that cut the tint to the exact specs downloaded from a computer program. There are no gaps that I have seen. The rear was tinted by raising the roof halfway. I'd get my money back.
Old 02-02-05, 12:01 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Miami, the shop I went to didn't have any problem with the rear side windows tints, and like someone else said, the rear window was done by opening the roof 1/2 way. If your installer can't do that, go somewhere else, as your installer doesn't know what he's doing.

Just a suggestion.

p.s. I paid 120 bucks for mine, for Titanium Premium Tints (made by DIAMOND), and this includes a lifetime replacement... basically it it starts getting a bubble for any reason, I can go to that shop and they'll redoit for free. Never had to do it in 1 1/2 years, but I suppose it's nice to have it (although it seems like a waste of money right now).
Old 02-02-05, 03:19 PM
XZLR8
Driver

I had the windows on my SC tinted before I even took delivery. My salesman made the arrangements and handled everything for me with the tint place (even picked up the tab). The tint looks incredible... not a bubble, crease, line, gap, nothing. I don't know how they did it, but I know it's possible.

I'm sure, given the cramped quarters, that it's not easy. But, that's what they do for a living. Find a professional....
Old 02-02-05, 04:13 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a guy come to my house and do it in my garage. This is the guy who did my first Lexus (SC400 in '96) at the dealership. I got there before the car was ready, and snatched his card. He's long gone from Lexus, but he always comes to my house to tint my cars.
Your guy is obviously not very good at it, because this one did a perfect job, and without computerized cutting and such. I raised the top with the window perfectly vertical, and placed a lot of towels under it, so my trunk didn't get soaked. Then I dried and relubed everything before closing the roof while he was doing other windows. He cut the film from the outside first on all windows. I also put a bunch of towels on my carpet and seat. Nobody is careful enough; I rather watch what he's doing, but let him do his job at the same time. After he's done, I'm drying, reconditioning leather on the doors, etc. He's happy. I'm happy. Find a mobile installer, and ask him for references. The SC430, believe it or not, is not hard, according to him, since it doesn't have complex curves like the beetle, for example. It's just a little cramped. Better find a skinny guy, or he'll smash your rear seats

One piece of information I read from his boxes of film. The heat protection is the same even with the 35% film, which I used. The only difference with darker films is the amount of light allowed to pass. I had a 20% once, and removed it after the first time I rode at night. I really like the 35%. People can see perfeclty inside the car, no reflection at night whatsoever, I don't feel the sun burning my skin, and my interior is protected from damaging UV rays. I put the light smoke on my car, and complements the silver very nicely. Tinting is a necessity here, where temps are close to or over 100º for 4 months.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-05, 11:51 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both those tint jobs sound pretty un-acceptable.

I don't know of any shops in your immediate area to recommend, but in the Bay Area in Fremont there's the AutoMall Tint Factory. (510)659-8468

Ask for Sid and say you're with ClubLexus. A 2 man operation and a perfectionist.

He has been doing tint for 15+ years and has done 5 of my cars over that time and a TON of local CL members as well.
Old 02-04-05, 09:48 PM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Talking

Thanks everyone for all ur help..

I made the previous tint guys take off the tint on all the windows and i took it somewhere else. it took him a long time to do b/c the jerks before didnt clean the glue off the back windows. but all in all, after $275 it turned out perfect. I love it! This guy did an amazing job..he knew how picky i was.

But again, thanks for all the info.

lisalisa
Old 02-05-05, 08:10 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Glad it turned out well, Lisa. I love the look of tint on this car. Congrats!
Old 02-05-05, 04:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey glad to hear everything works out lisa, awesome