SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Too Good To Be True? Advice Please.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 05:39 PM
Prolix
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too Good To Be True? Advice Please.........

Hello,

I'm in the market for a used SC430 and was checking out the listings on CarsDirect.com yesterday, and came across a 2002 with 7260 miles on it for only $30,000. This car should be priced more like $45,000. The listing states that it is in excellent condition. When I e-mailed the owner to ask him some questions, I got a form e-mail back explaining that he is currently in England and the car is in the CarsDirect.com warehouse in Denver, CO. The e-mail instructed me to contact CarsDirect.com with any questions I might have. When I did this, I got the following e-mail back from them, which in part stated -

"You will be allowed to buy or inspect the car when the payment of USD $2,900.00 refundable deposit by Western Union Wire Transfer will be completed in the name of seller John Woodford.
The car will be shipped in just 3 business days from the day after we receive the payment confirmation from you.
If the car does not correspond to your expectations and seller description, a Carsdirect team will come to pick-up the vehicle within 5 business days, offering you a full refund for the deposit."

This sounds kind of fishy to me - I send them $2,900 and they send me the car, and I have the car for 5 days to inspect and test drive and if I decide I don't want it they come and take it back no questions asked and I get my deposit back? Am I missing something here? Has anyone done business with CarsDirect.com like this?

I'd appreciate any feedback from members about all this. I am a firm believer in that old addage - "If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I don't see why someone would be selling a car in excellent condition for $15,000 less than market price, and I don't see why CarsDirect.com would ship it to me for 5 days with only a $2,900 deposit. Also, to check out the car, go to the link at the bottom of this post.

Thanks for your advice,
Prolix

Listing on CarsDirect.com -
http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...&zipcode=97405
Old 02-04-05, 06:35 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Hmmm.... What would be really messed up is if some grimey azz person just looking through the pages of CL might see this and jump on it b4 you get an answer. If I was a grimey person I would. But I'm not. I really havent had experience with the used cars, however had a little experience with the new cars. The deals they list are the deals that they guarantee. Some of the deals my be less than what a dealership offers and some might be. Its a pretty big public site, its not like they can run away from you, or make a bad deal, Carsdirect will be around for awhile. I want to believe it considering that the site is pretty credible, but like you, "If its to good to be true, then dont buy it" is my mentality also. Hopefully someone can answer your question in detail before some grimey person snatches that car right up from under you, if its true. Good luck.

Also, there could be something seriously wrong with that car too. Its a 2002 with 7,000 miles. Thats hella low.
Old 02-04-05, 06:39 PM
jsl757
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I heard using Western Union to purchase items are usually fraudulent. This is from they're website:

Make sure you know to whom you are sending money. Only transfer money to someone you know personally or whose identity you can verify!

If you are purchasing goods or services and paying through the Western Union network, it is your responsibility to verify the reputation and legitimacy of the seller. Western Union is not responsible for the non-receipt or quality of any goods or services.

Do not send money using a fictitious recipient’s name. This will not protect you when purchasing from someone you don’t know.

Be wary of once-in-a-lifetime investment opportunities.

Beware of bargain-priced electronics or other equipment.

http://www.westernunion.com/info/faqSecurity.asp

I'd say stay away, good luck with your search!

Jeff
Old 02-04-05, 06:45 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Honestly, I dont know whats going on with this site, cause I went looking at some random cars, and they have a 2002 Acura TL for less than 8 grand????!!! With 32,000 miles on it. "to good to be true"????? HELL YEAH. I think so, they are freakin me out.

http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...&zipcode=08854
Old 02-04-05, 06:50 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

stolen cars possibly? maybe stolen in canada or mexico and brought in?
Old 02-04-05, 07:51 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

You can smell that scam from a mile away buddy. There are others not so easy to 'smell', however. But if you're smart, you'll never be taken for a ride.

Ebay rules (or any long-distance) for buying a vehicle. Tell sellers for the following, and you'll get rid of 99% of scammers:

1. That you NEVER pay a dime in advance. And if an escrow service is necessary for a deposit, you'll choose it yourself. Never fall for the scam to send money to 'square trade'; they don't take money. I always tell sellers I can be there personally within the timeframe of the deposit (3 days, 5, whatever). I definitely prefer that. Use a reputable escrow if you can't make it.
2. That you need to inspect the car physically (or send somebody) before proceeding. When you tell them you have a family member in the area who might be able to inspect the car (a white lie), scammers run. You can always call an area dealer and let them inspect it.
3. That you need a phone number to continue negotiating.
4. Title is in the name of person you're dealing with.
5. If there's a lien, you'll pay the lien directly, and the difference to seller when he signs the title over to you.

If all of the above materialize, you're probably dealing with a legitimate seller (especially when they provide a phone number), but more research is necessary to avoid a trip in vain somewhere. Next is to research the VIN, once physically checked by somebody (a dealer, whatever); carfax is a popular one. I also call my dealer to get info on the car (if owner of record doesn't match the seller's name, it's time to get some answers). This avoids dealing with stolen or salvaged cars, or 'phantom' sellers (those usually disappear if you insist on calling them). At this time I always ask for a copy of the title. I also ask seller if he's willing to identify himself with dealer who is going to inspect the car.

Each case is different, but use similar business common sense and you would never be taken for a ride.

Good luck.

JC
Old 02-05-05, 04:58 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

This smells of SCAM! If it seems to good to be true, then trust your instincts. Put another way, let's say you follow these instructions - send your money, then no car and no response - who will look more foolish: you or the thief?
Old 02-05-05, 05:05 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

I'd guess its either a non-US spec car or salvage title. Notice that the VIN isn't valid (no records are found in the AutoChek database). This could simply be an error, indicate a car not manufactured for sale in the US, or the seller is really trying to hide something. I'd get that straightened out first and have a look at the CarFax (AutoChek).

George
Old 02-05-05, 06:51 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Prolix
Hello,

I'm in the market for a used SC430 and was checking out the listings on CarsDirect.com yesterday, and came across a 2002 with 7260 miles on it for only $30,000. This car should be priced more like $45,000. The listing states that it is in excellent condition. When I e-mailed the owner to ask him some questions, I got a form e-mail back explaining that he is currently in England and the car is in the CarsDirect.com warehouse in Denver, CO. The e-mail instructed me to contact CarsDirect.com with any questions I might have. When I did this, I got the following e-mail back from them, which in part stated -

"You will be allowed to buy or inspect the car when the payment of USD $2,900.00 refundable deposit by Western Union Wire Transfer will be completed in the name of seller John Woodford.
The car will be shipped in just 3 business days from the day after we receive the payment confirmation from you.
If the car does not correspond to your expectations and seller description, a Carsdirect team will come to pick-up the vehicle within 5 business days, offering you a full refund for the deposit."

This sounds kind of fishy to me - I send them $2,900 and they send me the car, and I have the car for 5 days to inspect and test drive and if I decide I don't want it they come and take it back no questions asked and I get my deposit back? Am I missing something here? Has anyone done business with CarsDirect.com like this?

I'd appreciate any feedback from members about all this. I am a firm believer in that old addage - "If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I don't see why someone would be selling a car in excellent condition for $15,000 less than market price, and I don't see why CarsDirect.com would ship it to me for 5 days with only a $2,900 deposit. Also, to check out the car, go to the link at the bottom of this post.

Thanks for your advice,
Prolix

Listing on CarsDirect.com -
http://www.carsdirect.com/used_cars/...&zipcode=97405
SCAM!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-05, 07:31 AM
phys11
Driver School Candidate

Default definite scam

I fell for one of these once. Ended up losing only $700 deposit after calling the cops, writing letters to BBB, state attorney general, etc. I've sworn never to buy a car out of state that I can't have inspected, test drive around, etc. Too many dishonest people. If the deal is on the up-and-up, the seller should be willing to acomodate your wishes without your immediately giving up all control by placing a hefty deposit. The "guarantee" of a refund isn't worth the paper it isn't even printed on. Pity the sucker who falls for this one.
Old 02-05-05, 08:39 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phys11
I fell for one of these once. Ended up losing only $700 deposit after calling the cops, writing letters to BBB, state attorney general, etc. I've sworn never to buy a car out of state that I can't have inspected, test drive around, etc. Too many dishonest people. If the deal is on the up-and-up, the seller should be willing to acomodate your wishes without your immediately giving up all control by placing a hefty deposit. The "guarantee" of a refund isn't worth the paper it isn't even printed on. Pity the sucker who falls for this one.
I agree, I'd wanna see what I was putting a deposit on. Any cl members live in the area who can go check the car out?
Old 02-05-05, 10:04 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

What kind of person asks for a deposit just to check out the car? This is definitely a scam.
Never put a deposit on anything you haven't seen first hand, especially when it involves a western union wire transfer.
Old 02-05-05, 12:47 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Default Scam

Oh yea I've emailed people with Supra Turbos for really low prices and get that same line about the owner is in Europe etc and I have to western union somthing.

Try selling a Laptop on Ebay, you'll get tons of these scams.

100% garunteed scam stay away and notify cars direct of the fraud.
Old 02-05-05, 01:07 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

And 2 other typical scams are that you were the 'lucky one' to help a Nigerian millionaire move his millions out of the country; they just need a deposit and your account number to close the deal.
The other is the 'mistake', or the 'friend's check' where the amount of purchase is less than the 'cashier's check' (fake, of course), and you're supposed to pay the difference (yes, usually via Western Union).

Again, don't even waste your time with anything out of the ordinary. You either going to waste your time, or your time and money.

As far as automobiles, I also skip 'brokers' altogether. They buy wholesale, and the car has been thru who knows how many hands (and feet), probably abused, exposed to the elements for who knows how long, etc, etc. Buy from a dealer or from a private party. Your best deal will always be the latter, but it'll take some work.

Good day.

Last edited by JCtx; 02-05-05 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-05-05, 04:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is a scam, i have seen thsi on ebay a lot. if you go on ebay and look, you can constantly see m5, m3, etc... other nice cars being sold this way. don't fall int the trap, they are scams...

Quick Reply: Too Good To Be True? Advice Please.........