SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone installed aftermarket Sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-05, 09:13 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone installed aftermarket Sirius?

After experiencing Sirius satellite radio in my BMW, I wish I had it in my other cars as well. Has anyone here added one of the Sirius aftermarket kits to their SC? I know there are several different options available, but I am just not sure how tacky they are going to look. Anyone taken the plunge? Pics? What's the antenna situation?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-05, 06:12 AM
gekisai29
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm mulling this over as well. local installer recommendation for srius in my sc is to use alpine components with tuner mounted in ash tray . you can avoid fm mod by using alpine v-hub or jl audio cleansweep both of which should be available in march or april. can also do xm with vais or cleansweep & terk commander in ashtray. i think this beats plug &play for security as well as aesthetics. iwas very pleased with similar xm arrangement in my s type jag.
Old 02-08-05, 08:17 AM
Paul2x
Pole Position

Over the Holiday I picked up the "XM 2 Go"

the portable XM and i love it......actually prefer sirrius but loved the mobiality of the XM,

the neat part is you can record with it and use it like an MP3 player, and i can also up load the recorded songs to my PC and burn Cd's....."shhh" LOL
Old 02-08-05, 12:13 PM
TRULUX
Lead Lap

i put one in my wifes g35 over christmas. the antenna can be put on the inside but i ran it to the outside of the car.the cord is fairly long. it took about 2 1/5 hours tops. it is just a couple of wires. pm me if you need more info.
Old 02-08-05, 02:46 PM
herragge
Pole Position

search for sirius or satielitte radio on the SC430 forum and you'll get lots of info on 430 owners who have done it including pics. I believe they put the unit in the ashtray....
Old 02-15-05, 07:53 PM
Jim Herd
Driver School Candidate

Default A Summary of Satellite Radio Advice for the SC430

I have searched this forum and other sources quite extensively regarding satellite radio. If you are considering installing satellite radio, there is an overwhelming array of decisions to make, and if you are picky you will need to tread carefully!
Here is a list of some of the important elements in the whole subject:
1. XM vs Sirius - there are subtle differences in price, program line-up, and commercials. Plus discounts for multiple installations in vehicles or at home/office , and quite a variety of hardware units. Check around the web in general on all this because the issues are obviously NOT car-specific. But this will probably need to be the first decision.
2. Hardware manufacturer & model - Kenwood Sirius H2A seems to be the latest favorite, but there is also Delphi, Sony, and others. One critical question is the "fit" of the head unit. Some hardware comes with a small remote control, which allows more freedom of location for the main control head. I think I might have a problem with the Kenwood H2A - the display has extremely small characters! Yet another consideration is the possible desire for a system in multiple cars or at home/office. You can pay for duplicate hardware and multiple service fees, or get a unit that pops out of a "tray" in your car and into wherever else you need it.
3. Fitting the head unit - ashtray location seems favorite, but inside the center console, above the glove box, and near the interior rearview mirror may be possible. Issues are - ease of use, ease of installation, and security. Some heads can be made to fit inside the ashtray and close the lid! However, I think some cutting of the plastic in side the ashtray is necessary. I peresonally prefer sticky-backed velcro to cutting and/or drilling.
4. Fitting the "main body" - some units have a separate electronic "black box" that needs a hiding place.
5. Antenna type and location - "single wire generation 2" seems best, and some are smaller than others. Locations include trunklid (wiring is tough), rear fender (easy wiring, but a bit ugly), and inside on the dash panel glare shield (easy install & it blends in, but signal may drop out occassionally). Mag mount or sticky velcro may be best for us folks who hate making permanent marks.
6. Electrical access to the ML speakers and power amplifier (to take advantage of their power and fidelity) - via the cassette hole (moderate audio quality and easy to do), via an FM modulator (less wires, but poor audio quality), or via an after-market "black box" (see posts on "vais" in this forum). Vais is probably best quality audio and most integrated look and feel. It seems no-one can get the ML audio system control panel to drive the satellite radio, thus avoiding a separate control head (yet). Thus, we remain in serious need of a fully integrated solution!

I bet I missed some important considerations in this list. Hopefully someone will help out with this by correcting my errors and omissions. It is a bewildering array, especially since the marketplace and technologies are moving very fast.
I am going through the evaluation process right now, and I have the added difficulty that my ham radio head is occupying the ashtray. Hmmmmmmm.
I will probably go with VAIS, Delphi hardware, and an inside antenna. I am thinking about mounting the Delphi unit with double-sided sticky tape on the dash panel just above the glove box. It is a long way from the driver, but that unit has a remote control, so I will just need to read the head, not press the buttons.

But I can be easily influenced by the smart folks on this forum!!
Those of you who have actually installed a unit and use it will be able to add reality to this theory!

Here is a link to a basic tutorial on satellite radio:
http://www.satellitevista.com/satellite-radio.htm

Jim H
Old 02-24-05, 10:36 PM
LexSmuther
Driver School Candidate

Default Get your antenna painted

www.colormatchantenna.com
Old 03-02-05, 09:52 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

My Sirius antenna looked and worked great on the dashboard. No need to paint it. Just if you want to spend the money. I've has some friends have there antennas cut and stolen being on the outside of their car. I liked mine inside. Good luck.
Old 03-03-05, 07:55 AM
silv-SC
Driver School Candidate

I had the sirius system installed over Christmas and everything turned out great...I dont have any pics yet so i will try to describe it the best I can. my receiver/deck is the kenwood and I actually had it installed in the sunvisor where the mirror was located...the wiring then ran out the side of the visor (only about an inch visible and you really had to search) the guy I had install it then ran the wire along the seal of the windsheild and the antenna right in the middle front..again with a little less than 1 inch wire showing.....it works great..is barely noticable..and the deck in the visor is a great conversation piece....not to mention that it is hidden from the outside.
Old 03-03-05, 10:42 PM
Jim Herd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by silv-SC
I had the sirius system installed over Christmas and everything turned out great...I dont have any pics yet so i will try to describe it the best I can. my receiver/deck is the kenwood and I actually had it installed in the sunvisor where the mirror was located...the wiring then ran out the side of the visor (only about an inch visible and you really had to search) the guy I had install it then ran the wire along the seal of the windsheild and the antenna right in the middle front..again with a little less than 1 inch wire showing.....it works great..is barely noticable..and the deck in the visor is a great conversation piece....not to mention that it is hidden from the outside.
I particularly like the part about being hidden from the outside! (I have my top down a lot.)
But I can't figure out how your installation looks. Is it behind the visor, or IN the visor? Can you please post a photo?
And what model of Kenwood do you have?
How is your antenna mounted?

I am considering installing a Sirius Starmate, which is a new model. Format is quite small and flat with a large display - not the format of a normal car audio. The head could be velcro'd to any flat surface - perhaps the dash or even high on the windshield near the rearview mirror. This model has a remote control, so the driver doesn't have to necessarily access the head unit directly. From previous posts, it seems the antenna will be O.K. on top of the dash.

As many folks on this group, I am picky about how it looks, and quite demanding with respect to functionality. It still really bugs me that we have to go through all this hassle just to get what is readily available on most competitive cars. And it seems we will never be able to truly integrate satellite radio in the SC430.

Jim H
Old 03-04-05, 05:52 AM
silv-SC
Driver School Candidate

Jim...I dont have pictures yet...but, the person that did my install did an excellent job. I got the idea from looking at a Jag that he previously installed the sirius system on. The Drivers visor mirror was removed and the kenwood ( i will check on the item #) was installed into that area..the wiring from the receiver was ran out the side of the visor, about 1 inch of wire is visible, but you have to look for it. the wire then travels underneath the seal of the windsheild and reappears dead center of the windsheild and the antenna is mounted dead center on the front part of the top (it does not distract from the look of the car) again with very little wiring showing...i will attempt to get a pic for some of the people on the forum. I was quite pleased however.
Old 03-27-05, 08:49 AM
gekisai29
Driver

i had installation done last week using starbase & aux in unit from vais tech . unit in ashtray, antenna on inside rear deck & looks llke oem) & so far sounds awesome . installer was tops. will provide if is wanted.
Old 07-20-06, 04:25 PM
the-hedge
Driver School Candidate

Sirius in the ashtray. Did it myself. Looks OK. Wish that VaisTech made a unit for my LS400.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone installed aftermarket Sirius?-sirius.jpg