SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs. A/S

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 05:52 PM
stang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs. A/S

Time to replace my 2003 SC430 runflats. From the postings, most speak highly of the Pilot Sport A/S. I have run a tirerack comparison of the A/S and the PS2.

The PS2 comes out .4 better in handling, .5 better in dry trackion, .1 better in wet traction, .4 better in ride comfort, .7 better in noise comfort and .2 less in wear.

Based on these results my inclination is towards the PS2. Snow is not a consideration. My V70R takes care of the snow we get in British Columbia.

I would appreciate any feedback, especially from anyone who has gone the PS2 route.

Thanks
Old 02-15-05, 05:59 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

i have ps2 and my only worry would be if u have camber issues and uneven wear because i do not believe that these tires can be flipped from one side to the other. one side of the tire is marked to be on the outside and the other has to be on the inside so
Old 02-15-05, 09:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the ps2 should be a lot better, it's probably one of the best tires out there right now
Old 02-15-05, 10:31 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlssonLS400
i have ps2 and my only worry would be if u have camber issues and uneven wear because i do not believe that these tires can be flipped from one side to the other. one side of the tire is marked to be on the outside and the other has to be on the inside so
Do they really say inside and outside????

My Michelins have arrows showing the rotation direction. Doesn't matter which side as long as they're rolling the right direction. I would think the same is true on the PS2's but hey, that would be interesting to know.

I flipped my Michelins from one side to the other by having the tires removed from the rim and swapping sides. That's the only way to do it with directional tires. My wear is pretty even considering the car is lowered on Tein coilovers. The inside still has more wear than the outside, so I should be able to get more milage out of the fronts, enough to make up for the labor cost to have the tires dis-mounted and re-mounted and balanced.

I have the old PS1's. My next tire will be PS2's. These tires cost a bunch, but I'm getting more milage from these Michelins, than my buddies with Kumho's and SO3's.

I have heard the PS2 tires have amazing grip.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-15-05 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 10:57 PM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

My Michelins have arrows showing the rotation direction. Doesn't matter which side as long as they're rolling the right direction. I would think the same is true on the PS2's but hey, that would be interesting to know.

I flipped my Michelins from one side to the other by having the tires removed from the rim and swapping sides. That's the only way to do it with directional tires. My wear is pretty even considering the car is lowered on Tein coilovers. The inside still has more wear than the outside, so I should be able to get more milage out of the fronts, enough to make up for the labor cost to have the tires dis-mounted and re-mounted and balanced.

I have the old PS1's. My next tire will be PS2's. These tires cost a bunch, but I'm getting more milage from these Michelins, than my buddies with Kumho's and SO3's.

yeah my ps2 say "outside" on the sidewall. for my yokohama avs sports i would just have them taken off and flipped to the other side but i can't with these ps2's. i noticed a lot more sound from sand. this is either cuz the ps2 have so much grip they are picking up sand or/and because i got a body kit installed right before putting the ps2 on.
Old 02-15-05, 11:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

yeah my ps2 say "outside" on the sidewall. for my yokohama avs sports i would just have them taken off and flipped to the other side but i can't with these ps2's. i noticed a lot more sound from sand. this is either cuz the ps2 have so much grip they are picking up sand or/and because i got a body kit installed right before putting the ps2 on.
that means the ps2 is assymmetric, just like my pzero nero. there is only inside and outside, and no direction
Old 02-15-05, 11:16 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh OK, well ya learn something new I guess.

Yeah the sand noise does indicate sticky compound of rubber.

Atleast it's not like road race tires. They are so gummy after a race, you see small stones embedded right into the rubber !

Talk about kicking up rocks at the cars behind you!
Old 02-16-05, 09:39 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If the PS2s have more dry traction, then I say definitely.
I'm not disappointed with my A/Ss, but since I got the Daizen sway bars, I can break them from the pavement a little easier than I'd like.
Old 02-16-05, 10:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm happy with my A/S but have no experience with the PS2. I still have a lot of tread left in my tires as I don't drive it too much, but the PS2 is something I would consider in the future.
Old 02-16-05, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by antigeek
If the PS2s have more dry traction, then I say definitely.
I'm not disappointed with my A/Ss, but since I got the Daizen sway bars, I can break them from the pavement a little easier than I'd like.
man, i can't wait to get my sways. the car stock handles pretty good, but i think it can use less roll
Old 02-16-05, 10:12 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

They are extraordinarily nice to have.
It's still a 3800lb. brick, but it's a serious improvement.
The most noticeable is the front-to-back movement reduction.
I'd love to drive an unadulterated one to feel the difference again.

Now, if I could figure out what to spray on the front poly bushings to keep them from creaking in the cold! It's rather horrid.
Old 02-16-05, 10:15 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RMMGS4

Glen, YES they definitely say OUTSIDE. The tire is not directional but the tread pattern is assymetric from outboard to inboard shoulder. You can run them on either side of the car as direction is not restricted, but the inboard shoulder must always remain inboard. If you have a camber problem resulting in uneven wear, you cannot resolve it by unmounting and then remounting them. As far as ride and grip, I love these tires. I got them in 245/40-18 mounted on 18 X 8.5 rims. The car is lowered about an inch on the L-tuned setup from Sewell. Ride and handling are vastly improved over stock setup.
Old 02-18-05, 11:15 AM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

I had PS'2 on my M5 and i must say they are awesome tires. Most of the M5 community have gone with the PS's since they came over the old Pilot Sports. I cannot speak to a comparison tho.

good luck

al
Old 05-05-05, 11:19 PM
AGSC430
Driver School Candidate

Default Agsc430

I was thinking about going with the ps'2 on my sc430 2004 with diablo lionhart chrome rims &245x35x20 on all 4 or 255x35x20 on all 4 or staggard . But tirerack & townfair tires say that 245x35 x20 may rub in the front & that I should go with 245x30x20 on all 4 or with 255x30x20 rear. other rim companies say 255x35x20 all 4 0r 245x35x20 on all 4 or staggard also I was told that I can go with 255x35x20 front & 275x35x20 rear with out rolling fenders . I may lower at a later date with teins but i have stock now. If some one has stock sc430 with 20's please let me know what size tires they have & if any problems. Thanks AGSC430
Old 05-05-05, 11:50 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AGSC430
I was thinking about going with the ps'2 on my sc430 2004 with diablo lionhart chrome rims &245x35x20 on all 4 or 255x35x20 on all 4 or staggard . But tirerack & townfair tires say that 245x35 x20 may rub in the front & that I should go with 245x30x20 on all 4 or with 255x30x20 rear. other rim companies say 255x35x20 all 4 0r 245x35x20 on all 4 or staggard also I was told that I can go with 255x35x20 front & 275x35x20 rear with out rolling fenders . I may lower at a later date with teins but i have stock now. If some one has stock sc430 with 20's please let me know what size tires they have & if any problems. Thanks AGSC430
Well, check with Henry, Rominl, he has done extensive research on tire and wheel fitment. Also, he has had : GS, SC, & IS models so he has personal knowledge of the issues involved.

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs. A/S