SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Yokoham AVS Sport Runflat for SC430!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-05, 03:06 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yokoham AVS Sport Runflat for SC430!

I just spotted these on a SC430 at the dealership today as I was in for service. The tread design is great compared to my Bridgestones! The specs:

245/40 ZR18

Treadware = 180
Traction = AA
Temp = A

Does anyone have these already? Can you comment on the ride, handling, noise, treadware?

I have the OEM still on at 26,300 miles.

Thanks
Old 03-08-05, 07:34 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Great news. Any pics?
And we also have another choice on the new C6 Vette tires: front ones are the same size as ours, but don't know if they'd be appropriate for our much heavier car. They're reportedly very quiet and compliant.
The more choices, the better. Have a great evening gentlemen.
JC
Old 03-08-05, 07:59 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

i have yokohama avs sport on my sc300. 285/30/20

Pros
1) Comfort. Considering I have larger wheels, these are much more comfortable than other tires. I've driven in my car with 18" wheels that had crappy tires and their ride was significantly worse.

2) Handling. There have been previous mishaps with my previous tires on rainy days.. my previous tires would allow my rear end (of the car) to kick out when making turns quickly. (I was just testing them in an empty parking lot). These tires are excellent in the rain. Never had any problems with losing control in the rain unless I really tried.

Cons
1) These tires aren't meant for the snow. They are terrible in the snow. I don't know if you drive your car during the winter, if you don't, then you've got nothing to worry about. I would recommend a different set of wheels/tires for the winter.

2) Treadlife. There have been numerous feeling about this. Many say that this tire should be good for 25k. Some have complained that they only lasted 10K. It does depend on your driving style.. but I cannot tell you personally as my tires are stil fairly new.
Old 03-08-05, 08:32 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Great news. Any pics?
not sure if you wanted pics of the tires on an sc430.. or maybe just the tread
anyway.. here is a photo of the tread. Y pattern to prevent water build up
Attached Thumbnails Yokoham AVS Sport Runflat for SC430!-tread.jpg  
Old 03-08-05, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by newyorksc
not sure if you wanted pics of the tires on an sc430.. or maybe just the tread
anyway.. here is a photo of the tread. Y pattern to prevent water build up
umm, very interesting. dunno, if the avs RF is anything like the avs sport, it's not a good news.

when it wears, the avs sport is super super load.... i had it on my gs before, it was a nightmare
Old 03-08-05, 10:00 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

what do you mean by that rominl?

when it wears, the avs sport is super super load....
Old 03-08-05, 10:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by newyorksc
what do you mean by that rominl?

when it wears, the avs sport is super super load....
when tires wear, you get more and more road noise. when i had the avs sport on my gs4, when it started to wear, it got very loud. tons of road noise and it was so annoying. towards the end, it was so bad that my whole cabin was resonating....

none of my next tires have that....

i will never own the avs sport myself. that's just me
Old 03-09-05, 10:17 PM
herragge
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the runflat issue has been discussed before. Why are we continuing to go to other runflat tires? I'm sure not all of them will be as loud as the bridgestone potenza RF's but certainly louder (because of more rubber) than softer rubber. The solution here in my opinion is to go with a soft compound tire, whether you have updated rims or not. Truly a world of difference on the SC430. That is the simpliest solution and if you are worried about flats, carry one of those fluids with air compressor, fill er up and ur good to go. I have 19's which should increase harshness because of a larger diameter but i went with soft rubber and they are actually smoother and softer! however the S0-3's are pretty loud for a soft compound.

just my opinon folks.
Old 03-09-05, 10:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by herragge
the runflat issue has been discussed before. Why are we continuing to go to other runflat tires? I'm sure not all of them will be as loud as the bridgestone potenza RF's but certainly louder (because of more rubber) than softer rubber. The solution here in my opinion is to go with a soft compound tire, whether you have updated rims or not. Truly a world of difference on the SC430. That is the simpliest solution and if you are worried about flats, carry one of those fluids with air compressor, fill er up and ur good to go. I have 19's which should increase harshness because of a larger diameter but i went with soft rubber and they are actually smoother and softer! however the S0-3's are pretty loud for a soft compound.

just my opinon folks.
well i for one won't really miss the runflats on my car
Old 03-10-05, 05:28 AM
golfkwesi
Driver

Originally Posted by herragge

just my opinon folks.
herrage: why would I post this thread, seeking info on my decision to stay with RF's, if I wanted to carry a compressor and "those fluids". I have no doubt that changing to non-rf's will make the ride better. I am ordering the Yokohama's after seeing the tread pattern and driving yesterday in a bad rainstorm on my OEM rf's. The good news is no snow to worry about down here in Tampa!

Last edited by golfkwesi; 03-10-05 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-10-05, 12:22 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

180 treadwear??? get ready to spend some serious money every 8k miles.... Used to have those treadwear on my 97' SC Gewalt type M 18" wheels. 8k miles and they are gone!! (the rear tires, of course.)
Old 03-10-05, 03:06 PM
golfkwesi
Driver

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
180 treadwear??? get ready to spend some serious money every 8k miles.... Used to have those treadwear on my 97' SC Gewalt type M 18" wheels. 8k miles and they are gone!! (the rear tires, of course.)
You've answered one question: the higher the tread # the softer the tire and lower expected miles...thanks! I've heard many say 10-15,000 for the OEM rf's while I've got 26,500.

I guess keeping that awesome stereo cranked up so that I just don't notice the road noise which has allowed me to keep these tires so long.
Old 03-10-05, 05:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by golfkwesi
You've answered one question: the higher the tread # the softer the tire and lower expected miles...thanks! I've heard many say 10-15,000 for the OEM rf's while I've got 26,500.

I guess keeping that awesome stereo cranked up so that I just don't notice the road noise which has allowed me to keep these tires so long.
nop, the other way. the lower the number means that the tire can sustain less miles before they wear out. 180 is a low number, so that means the tire will wear out fast. now not sure if that translates to soft though. i had avs sport on my gs4, and they were one of the stiffest i have had.

and like gsxotic said, 180 is low. if you can get 280 or so that's much better
Old 03-10-05, 05:16 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Well... there is always an answer out there -- Dunlop Leman 702...... I have been running these and they are long lasting. My last set last me about 38k miles. the front is still going.....
Old 03-10-05, 05:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
Well... there is always an answer out there -- Dunlop Leman 702...... I have been running these and they are long lasting. My last set last me about 38k miles. the front is still going.....
can we get the tires here in the US? i suppose that's not max performance tires like others? but it's a good balance between performance and comfort?

Quick Reply: Yokoham AVS Sport Runflat for SC430!