SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

LuxLink remote top

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-05, 01:02 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LuxLink remote top

1. How many have the LuxLink remote top?
2. How much did the install cost?
3. Who installed it ?
Old 03-11-05, 01:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150688

you can find most of the info in the above thread.

i don't knoe exactly how many of us here have it. i should be getting mine done pretty soon.

the installation, it varies from areas to areas. i guess doing it over at lmw is probably one of the cheapest place

with the provided instructions, i think a lot of audio shop should be able to do it? i don't think they are super hard to begin with. if you are capable of taking part the door panels and center console you should be good to go
Old 03-12-05, 11:58 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought mine of ebay and had it installed by a local car audio shop in south london. He charged me by the hour , said it was reasonable straight forward but as he'd never seen one before took him a few hours. Think I paid £125 for the install.
Old 03-12-05, 12:03 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

I also bought mine on ebay (remote top/start combo) and did the install myself. Overall it took me a couple of hours.

George
Old 03-12-05, 11:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah i guess first time is going to take some time. when lmw does the install, i think it's abot an hour?
Old 03-13-05, 09:30 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL it took me all night to get that stuff into that car! I kept getting cramps from trying to fit my head underneath the dash to put the brake wire together. Guess its time to lose some weight.
Old 03-13-05, 09:57 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Hi Weny,

I don't know about your weight but that brake wire connection takes a contortionist and snaking those wires behind the fuse box and back through the door harness I no easy trick either. I'm sure the LMW people do it faster that we can since they do it every day. It took me an hour just to look at the video, open the panels and tag all the wires!

George
Old 03-14-05, 12:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh don't get me wrong, i never intended to say it's an easy job. i just said it's doable by us. lmw people they probably did about 747388297534 units already so they can do it blindly. but to us it's always a challenge
Old 03-14-05, 11:20 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Just had the whole thing installed at Lux. Motor. the week before last, it's very cool.
Old 03-14-05, 12:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by rsa supra
Just had the whole thing installed at Lux. Motor. the week before last, it's very cool.
i hope your mum is loving the setup
Old 03-14-05, 05:32 PM
PROY
Rookie

I have one I'm going to install myself. Question, did everyone do exactly like the video and sodder the wires or use wire bridge connectors instead?
Old 03-14-05, 08:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by PROY
I have one I'm going to install myself. Question, did everyone do exactly like the video and sodder the wires or use wire bridge connectors instead?
well i got mine installed at lmw so they soldered

technically, you don't have to. but do you really want to risk though. if the connection got bad or so later, you will have to pull everything out again. why the hassle?
Old 03-15-05, 04:32 AM
sc430blue
Lead Lap

I'm of the same mindset, I soldered because I didnt want to deal with taking everything apart if something came loose.
On another note....anyone ever use that Cold Heat soldering tool? I saw them at home depot the other day.
Old 03-15-05, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by sc430blue
I'm of the same mindset, I soldered because I didnt want to deal with taking everything apart if something came loose.
On another note....anyone ever use that Cold Heat soldering tool? I saw them at home depot the other day.
yeah i wonder how those things work and/or how efficient.

lmw did a very good job, they cut the wires, connect, twist, solder, and then tape. so clean
Old 03-16-05, 08:19 PM
Cruizing
Rookie

I must be technically inept but it took me all day to install the unit. I never received a video but did it entirely with the black and white instructions sent with the kit. Was a problem when splicing into the wiring harness on the door but the web site had the photos in colour to determine the wires. I tried the cold soldiering tool because I didn't want to melt anything important but I found it didn't heat very well and I wasn't assured of a good connection thus I went back to the old Weller soldiering gun. I agree connecting to the brake light was difficult but is do-able when you pull off the clip and pull it down. But at the end of the day with my aching back from draping it over the door sill looking up under the dash I was wishing I had paid someone else to install it - at whatever cost.

Quick Reply: LuxLink remote top