SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Coming off warranty.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 11:34 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
its way offtopic and hard 2 read bsides and it is cold 2 and i have other cars to drive and cant drive the sc all the time 7 i like 2 but dont.
What? <chuckling>

Thanks for your research and comments, Tim. Very apt. My SC goes out of warranty in a couple months and I've come to the same conclusions as you. The only thing I wonder about is when one sells the car out of warranty, does it devalue the sale and/or create less interest in the car itself? That's my concern.

Good thread, DropTop430. My car has 25k miles, and although I've had some customization issues, the car itself is faultless.
Old 03-16-05, 12:28 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The top seems to be pretty reliable, even though it is fairly complex.

I understand that the same company that made the top for the original SLK also made the top for Lexus, which makes sense if you have ever seen the two of them operate.

I have a friend who has had an SLK since that car came out, which is about two years longer than the SC430, and he tells me he operates the top twice a day every day, weather permitting. He has had no problems yet, and his car is older than mine, and has many more top operations than mine.

It's a complex piece of machinery, but seems to be pretty reliable. And if something needs fixing, the odds are it won't be $1,600.00, and it sure won't happen twice.
Overall, I do agree with all the analysis here, that says extended warranty, on average, not worth it. But thought I would add that in fact I did have a problem with my top. Under warranty, but my guy showed me the paperwork, $3400!. The symptom was one time, went to put top down, it didn't move, but electronics thought it did, so it kept beeping at me as I drove (to the dealership). Ended up being a motor, but the motor was part of a bigger assembly. This was at about 18K miles.
Old 03-16-05, 12:42 PM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

A car under warranty is always a little more attractive to a purchaser than one with no warranty, but most buyers of used cars know this. The re-sale of Lexus cars is so high because of the reliability factor.

Also note that the term "extended warranty" is misleading. These deals, even from the dealer, are service contracts, not warranties. You are paying in advance for service to specified items, should they need service during the term of the contract. They cover only the listed parts, not any others.

The Lexus package, even the premium ("Platinum") package, as far as the top goes, covers only the "top motor" and the clips that hook the top to the windshield. There are eleven motors that operate while the top is going up or down, and if we subtract the 4 for the windows, that still leaves 7, so I'm guessing that 6 of those are not covered. Nor are the cables or the electronics or the gaskets. (You do keep those soft and pliable with 303 at least twice a year, don't you???) So if the top goes south, that's going to be a big bill either way, but it's not worth the cost of the contract to bet that I am going to be the one guy in a hundred whose top craps out on him in the next 24 months.

I like those odds.

And I always split 8s, even though I don't win them all.
Old 03-16-05, 01:12 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I leased the SC for 3 years at 15k mi/yr. Needless to say, I will be covered by the warranty for my entire lease and then the car goes back to Lexus. But, I will say that we drive this car a lot - it's not even a year old and rapidly approaching 15k miles. The top has had no problems whatsoever (knock on wood), and I used it at least 4-5x per week (8-10 open/close) during the months of May - November. And maybe twice a month since then.

I don't know how different the "aging" process is between mileage vs. years, but I imagine those of you that are way under 40,000-50,000 mi probably will be ok for a while. They give those cars a 4yr/50k warranty, so I would hope even the low mileage 4-yr cars are going to be fine for a few more years!
Old 03-16-05, 01:24 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Nice to see the different owners speaking up. The car is coming out of storage tomorrow and I am going to crank it up and drive it to the dealer and get it serviced and drive it like I stole it for the summer.

Keep up the chatter.
Old 03-16-05, 02:25 PM
vvking
Driver School Candidate

Question

=snip
Nor are the cables or the electronics or the gaskets. (You do keep those soft and pliable with 303 at least twice a year, don't you???)
snip=
What is this "303" that you mention?
Old 03-16-05, 04:44 PM
tfischer

Default 303

Everyone with an SC430 should know about 303 Aerospace Protectant.

This is a liquid in a spray bottle that is used to protect rubber and plastic from degradation caused by age, low humidity and sunlight. You can learn about it from their web page: www.303products.com.

It is used for tires, to protect the sidewalls, and on dashboards, which get a lot of sun. It is especially helpful to protect the rubber gaskets that are all over the SC430.

At least twice a year, I put the top in "wash the inside of the back window" mode (engine running, top half way up so the rear window is perpendicular). In this mode, you can access all of the gaskets above the windshield, at the break point in the top, and along the trunk opening. Don't forget the ones around the doors and under the hood.

This stuff will keep them from drying out. If they dry out, they will "fail" and let in wind noise at least, if not water. These gaskets are a major factor to the quietness of the top up ride, and a few bucks for this stuff is far preferable to the cost of replacement.

I learned about 303 from forums devoted to "detailing" (cleaning) cars. All the professionals use it, as it does not leave any greasy residue, like some products we can think of that don't cost much and don't work at all, but we won't mention any names (Armor-All). I use it on the dash of the SC and the result is invisible protection and a very nice matt patina that is not shinny or greasy -- much better than just dusting.

Google will tell you lots of places that sell it on the net if you can't find it in a store. Regular parts places like AutoZone do not usually carry it because it costs more and is a speciality product not designed for the mass market.

And these are tips I don't pass out to just anybody.
Old 03-16-05, 05:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Thanx Tim, good stuff
Old 03-17-05, 12:11 AM
vvking
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Everyone with an SC430 should know about 303 Aerospace Protectant.

This is a liquid in a spray bottle that is used to protect rubber and plastic from degradation caused by age, low humidity and sunlight. You can learn about it from their web page: www.303products.com.

It is used for tires, to protect the sidewalls, and on dashboards, which get a lot of sun. It is especially helpful to protect the rubber gaskets that are all over the SC430.

At least twice a year, I put the top in "wash the inside of the back window" mode (engine running, top half way up so the rear window is perpendicular). In this mode, you can access all of the gaskets above the windshield, at the break point in the top, and along the trunk opening. Don't forget the ones around the doors and under the hood.

This stuff will keep them from drying out. If they dry out, they will "fail" and let in wind noise at least, if not water. These gaskets are a major factor to the quietness of the top up ride, and a few bucks for this stuff is far preferable to the cost of replacement.

I learned about 303 from forums devoted to "detailing" (cleaning) cars. All the professionals use it, as it does not leave any greasy residue, like some products we can think of that don't cost much and don't work at all, but we won't mention any names (Armor-All). I use it on the dash of the SC and the result is invisible protection and a very nice matt patina that is not shinny or greasy -- much better than just dusting.

Google will tell you lots of places that sell it on the net if you can't find it in a store. Regular parts places like AutoZone do not usually carry it because it costs more and is a speciality product not designed for the mass market.

And these are tips I don't pass out to just anybody.
you're awesome! thanks for the tip!
Old 03-17-05, 04:01 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Originally Posted by vvking
Which company did you use for your extended warranty?

There have been a number of extended warranty companies that have gone out of business in the last few years -- leaving the consumer holding the bag.
1sourceautowarranty.com is a great place to start. Gave me plenty of options for coverage. Only problem is getting coverage for the nav and audio systems, but I have not seen one go out yet. Otherwise, take a peek. Like I said, when contacting these companies, check to see who underwrites the coverage. Fireman's Fund underwrote the one I had for my SL
Old 03-17-05, 05:04 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get my 303 at a marine supply place (West Marine in Alexandria). It seems that boaters discovered this stuff a long time ago. I use it as an edge dressing on the tires about once a week and around on gaskets, etc. about once a month. Compared to other "dressings" this stuff is expensive but you'll definitely see and feel (or maybe not feel) the difference.

Back to the topic, my car is a late 02 with 26,000 miles. I have nearly a year to go on my bumper-to-bumper and after that, won't buy any kind of an extended plan.

George
Old 03-17-05, 05:18 AM
tfischer

When I looked into "extended warranties" I found that 1source and warranty direct were considered the most reputable and most respected in the business. Their coverage is pretty good and they are not likely to go toes up like a few others in the industry have done recently. I also asked my dealer about them, and he said that they do honor such contracts, since it makes no difference to them who pays, but that most customers get the coverage from Lexus since the cost is only a little bit more but at the Lexus dealers always use Lexus parts, not aftermarket or rebuilt parts.

As I mentioned, I'm going bare after my 4 years are up (end of April), but if you want to go with a non-Lexus plan, these two companies seem to be the industry heavyweights.
Old 03-17-05, 05:33 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

When I looked into "extended warranties" I found that 1source and warranty direct were considered the most reputable and most respected in the business. Their coverage is pretty good and they are not likely to go toes up like a few others in the industry have done recently. I also asked my dealer about them, and he said that they do honor such contracts, since it makes no difference to them who pays, but that most customers get the coverage from Lexus since the cost is only a little bit more but at the Lexus dealers always use Lexus parts, not aftermarket or rebuilt parts.

As I mentioned, I'm going bare after my 4 years are up (end of April), but if you want to go with a non-Lexus plan, these two companies seem to be the industry heavyweights.
With my extended warranty, when I took it to the dealer all I got was OEM parts even though the contract was not through Lexus.
Old 03-17-05, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mlbpbg
With my extended warranty, when I took it to the dealer all I got was OEM parts even though the contract was not through Lexus.
well, i mean, you go to dealership. you don't expect them to run outside and get some aftermarket stuff for you right?
Old 03-17-05, 02:35 PM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
well, i mean, you go to dealership. you don't expect them to run outside and get some aftermarket stuff for you right?
Not likely

Quick Reply: Coming off warranty.....