SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Warning...SC430 can be dangerous if...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-05, 10:45 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning...SC430 can be dangerous if...

You''re tall!!!!! I went to my local Lexus dealership to look at the SC430 today, and much to my chagrin, this is a car I'll never own. Why?? Because Lexus has decided that all men are fully grown at 5'9". For those of us who grew a bit more (for the record, I'm 6'4"), there is zero shot of driving this car, let alone getting the top in the up position without crushing your head. I'm very disappointed at how ridiculously small the cabin of the SC is. Before any of you tell me that I would have the same problem in any sports car...I've owned numerous sports cars over the years, including a Toyota Supra and a Nissan 300ZX, 2-seater convertible, and had more leg room than I knew what to do with.

I'm sure I'm not the first tall guy to have run into this problem, but I just thought the SC was a bit more spacious from the pictures I've seen. I thought the back seat (even though an average size housecat couldn't fit back there) would allow for more leg room. Oh well...such is life. I guess I'll have to stick to my LX and not get a summer toy, afterall.

John from Boston
Old 03-19-05, 10:52 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm almost 5' 11" & I have plenty spare headroom, I know of a few SC430 owners here who are 6'2" or a little taller that have no problems. I guess it also depends on one's seams length(legs) & girth too as far as room inside the car is concerned, too bad you didn't find it comfortable for you.
Old 03-19-05, 12:26 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Hey AmethySC...

For the record, I'm not a thin 6'4". Definitely a bigger guy. That said, it just so happened there was another older couple there with me today checking out the SC and the guy was also tall (he looked about 6'2"). After I saw him climb into the driver's seat and exit rather abruptly, I approached him to ask him his thoughts on the leg room, and his comment to me was "what leg room?". For the record, he was a thinner guy (maybe 190lbs). He actually tried putting the top up with a salesguy's assistance and it was quite comical to watch. His head was definitely in the way.

I guess I find it interesting to think anyone who is 6'2" or over has any ability to drive this car, as there is literally nowhere to even put your knees (i.e. they're pushing up against the dash, due to the lack of legroom) to facilitate the car being driven. I did look at a 2005 model, so perhaps the older models have more leg room? For the record, I am not hear to bash the SC...I was sincerely considering buying one and had even bid on a few of them on eBay. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll ever even get to test drive this tiny car!

John from Boston
Old 03-19-05, 01:36 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heehee... thank goodness I am short.....(I am about 5'10")... Well.... tell you the true I think you are right about the room in the 2nd generation. My 97SC definitely has more room (rear seat also) than the current generation. Anyways, anyone knows the leg room on the SL???
Old 03-19-05, 02:30 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Enigma869
Hey AmethySC...

I guess I find it interesting to think anyone who is 6'2" or over has any ability to drive this car, as there is literally nowhere to even put your knees (i.e. they're pushing up against the dash, due to the lack of legroom) to facilitate the car being driven. I did look at a 2005 model, so perhaps the older models have more leg room? For the record, I am not hear to bash the SC...I was sincerely considering buying one and had even bid on a few of them on eBay. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I'll ever even get to test drive this tiny car!

John from Boston
I understand that this car may not have the right size for everyone & I never thought you're here to bash it I think this issue has been addressed before more than once, & I distinctly remember members here who claimed they are 6'2" or 6'3" (e.g. Larry, for those who remember him) who said they have no problem with headroom in this car.
Also our moderator, who owns the SC430 since 2001, & who is about to buy a new third generation GS, claiming just a couple days ago if I remember correctly in the new GS forum that he's 6'2" & have no problem with headroom in the new GS when the same headroom question was brought up for the new GS
The bottom line is anybody interested in the SC should try to sit in it & drive it & see if he is comfortable in it.
Old 03-19-05, 04:37 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Hey GS...

I think the SL might be the only option to satisfy my craving for a hardtop convertible! I actually love the looks of the SL much more than the SC, but am far more impressed with Lexus' reliability record over Mercedes. I'm now wondering that same issue though...How is the legroom in the SL. I guess I'll have to head to an MB dealership to see if this is even a viable option for me. I think the SC is probably a much better value, considering price and the much better job (in my opinion) Lexus does with interiors over MB, but unless Lexus does something to improve the legroom, I am SOL! I guess being a tall guy is going to hurt me in the wallet if the SL fits my long legs, as it's a much more expensive car. Oh well...such is life!

John from Boston
Old 03-19-05, 05:18 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

From Mercedes & Lexus websites :

ALL Mercedes SL models :

headroom : 37.7 in.
legroom : 42.9 in.
shoulder room : 54 in.

SC430 (frontseats):

headroom : 37.2 in.
legroom : 43.6 in.
shoulder room : 53.8 in.

SL has 0.5 in. advantage in headroom, SC430 has 0.7 in. advantage in legroom.
SL has only 0.2 in. advantage in shoulder room.

For my size, I feel very comfortable in both.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 03-19-05 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-19-05, 09:38 PM
loflin
Pole Position

Engima869, I'm sure you know this, but how tall you are only counts when trying to reach something on the top shelf. When sitting what matter is the length of your legs or the length of your torso.

I'm 6'2" (and 1/8" in the morning!). I've had my SC430 for 4 years. Fitting is no problem for me, and I'm real particular in getting the seat front leg support, the headroom, the stretch of the arms, etc. just perfect.

That said, my brother is 6"1.5 and he doesn't fit in at all.

When we stand, our heights are almost the same, but our waist are more than 4" different from the floor. That is my legs are longer, his torso is longer.
Old 03-19-05, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

haha well, i am 5'7" and my wife is 5', thank god.

anyway, this is weird, coz' if you recline the seat and put it back, i don't see why you can't fit inside the car. y ou never expect to put squard in the back of the car anyway

maybe your seat was just too straight up that's all
Old 03-20-05, 04:03 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Hey rominl...

I did have the seat as far back as it good go. In fact, when I looked in the back seat...the front seat was pushed right up against it and couldn't go any further back than it was. Oh well. I guess not owning an SC430 isn't the end of the world. It's just a car that I was very seriously considering purchasing to go along with my 2004 LX470 as a summer toy.

Based on AmrthySC's posing about the respective cabin room on the SL, it doesn't sound like my body is fitting into that anytime soon, either! I can only hope that one day a sports car is made that understands not all men are the same height and that some of us are grown a bit taller! It's a lousy reason not to be able to purchase a vehicle.

John from Boston
Old 03-20-05, 10:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Hey rominl...

I did have the seat as far back as it good go. In fact, when I looked in the back seat...the front seat was pushed right up against it and couldn't go any further back than it was. Oh well. I guess not owning an SC430 isn't the end of the world. It's just a car that I was very seriously considering purchasing to go along with my 2004 LX470 as a summer toy.

Based on AmrthySC's posing about the respective cabin room on the SL, it doesn't sound like my body is fitting into that anytime soon, either! I can only hope that one day a sports car is made that understands not all men are the same height and that some of us are grown a bit taller! It's a lousy reason not to be able to purchase a vehicle.

John from Boston
umm, that's funny. i am curious, with the seat all the way back, your feet fit well? man, i have tried that, and my feet couldn't even touch the pedals @_@ anyway, if your seat is all the way back, i think you actually have problem reclining the seat, and the roof is actually curving down, maybe that's why?

get the older style sc400, that's a much bigger car
Old 03-20-05, 10:39 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Hey rominl...

John from Boston
I'm 6'1" and not skinny. This car fits better than the SL500 ever did plus the passenger side is far more comfortable. Saving the extra $30,000 or so to get the SL made me feel pretty good. Sorry you won't be able to joiin us.
Old 03-22-05, 01:11 PM
vvking
Driver School Candidate

I'm 6'1" and carry most of my height in my torso (my pants inseam is 32"). I have no problem with the SC430's headroom. My friend is 6'4" and fits fine in the passenger seat.
John from Boston, I guess you just have a VERY long torso. Sorry you can't fit -- the SC430 is a GREAT car!
Old 03-27-05, 11:59 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I am 6'3" and a tiny bit of change and I fit fine. It is all about seat placement. I have bopped my head once with the top but it's not like it hurts. It just stops and then you have to open and close again to ensure alignment. BTW I bopped my head because I happened to notice something and sat up a bit.
Old 03-28-05, 12:06 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Okay do this:

Move the seat a little forward so it is not against the back seat.
Tilt the seat (not the back, the whole seat ) by twisting the large bar so the seat is upright and flat.
Push the bar down until the seat is as low as possible.
Tilt the backrest a until the preferred angle.
Move back until you hit the seat and then move forward a little.
Twist the bar to angle the whole seat back and then adjust your backrest forward again.
Tap up on the bar a tiny tiny bit.
Twist the bar to angle the whole seat back and then adjust your backrest forward again.

I know you will fit. It takes me about two minutes to set but then you hit memory. I have one for my ideal position and one all the way forward in memory.

Quick Reply: Warning...SC430 can be dangerous if...