SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

remote top help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 12:40 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rominl, that's funny that you can trigger your top from far, far away. If I have any complaint about this system its that I can't seem to trigger it from more that about 20 feet away. Did you feed your's Wheaties?

It is important to let it finish its functions, otherwise you get some part cycles until it figures out where it is. The steering wheel not responding to the key is not this however. That function is actually disabled while the LuxLink is active. You can produce it manually by pressing your L1 or L2 button or wait intil the LuxLink shuts off before inserting your key.

George
Old 03-25-05, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem
Rominl, that's funny that you can trigger your top from far, far away. If I have any complaint about this system its that I can't seem to trigger it from more that about 20 feet away. Did you feed your's Wheaties?

It is important to let it finish its functions, otherwise you get some part cycles until it figures out where it is. The steering wheel not responding to the key is not this however. That function is actually disabled while the LuxLink is active. You can produce it manually by pressing your L1 or L2 button or wait intil the LuxLink shuts off before inserting your key.

George
really? that's interesting. as long as i could lock/unlock from that distance i would be able to open up the top (been doing it way too many times)

i think the "problem" is that you have to hold down the button on the romote for couple of secs for the top to be activated (to come down). if during that couple of secs the signal got disconnected or so, then it doesn't work

maybe i just happened to have a pretty clear path around me?
Old 03-25-05, 01:06 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 222 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
hahha yeah, no problem. i think the whole process makes sense,it gives you a "break" to not let the windows come up.

for me though, i don't really like too much wind, so i usually keep the windows up
Me too, & I don't like too much sun either, I usually only drive top down early in the morning or late in the afternoon or when it's overcast.
Old 03-25-05, 07:14 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to be standing next to my car to use the remote.. even for locking/unlocking. Its also the same with the spare key.

Any ideas why ? I dont think its things getting in the way of the signal as its like this where ever I am.

I guess the key charges whilst in the ignition so it should always be fully charged.

Also that trick of holding the key to your head dosent work on my car.. although when I do it on my Range Rover I get about double the distance.
Old 03-25-05, 11:20 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

Smile

Do these keys have a battries?

BTW here is the official word from Steve in a couple of e-mails we exchanged.
The email on the bottem is first.

Also any one In the Dallas Ft Worth area need a LuxLink installed I have a
great place in Ft Worth. They charged 150.00. and did a great job.
Here's a link: http://woodyselectronics.com/

Date: 03/25/05 13:00:49
To: 'PBHATS'
Subject: RE: remote top help

Joe,
After it finishes it's cycle you can hold the unlock button on the remote and the windows will drop. If you release the unlock button within two seconds the top will cycle. If you continue to hold the unlock button down it will only roll down the windows. I hope that makes sense. You already have that feature in the car.

Steve
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 9:14 AM
To: steve@luxurymotorworks.com

Steve,
So if after the cycle finishes and the top is down but the windows
are up do I need to get in the car to put the windows down with the
door switch or put the key in the lock and turn it to un lock and hold it?

Joe

-------Original Message-------

Date: 03/25/05 10:52:58
To: 'PBHATS'

Mr Peters,
Everything sounds like it is working properly. The reason the windows go up is because the LuxLink is on a timer. When you manually operate the top from inside the car if you continue to push the top button open or close the windows will go up at the end of the cycle. The reason we did this is because every car is different. Some tops are faster than others and some batteries will have better power than others. What would happen if we had them all timed to one car that would stop before the windows went up is some windows would be partially up and some tops would probably not even finish the cycle. So we time it so it is guarenteed every car will be finished with it's cycle and all windows would be all the way up.
If you have any other questions please feel free to ask or call us.

Thanks again,
Steve
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:00 PM
To: questions@luxurymotorworks.com
Subject: remote top help

I got my LuxLink installed by a high end audio shop
and the top goes down but then the front windows roll
back up. What's wrong?

I like the system but I don't think the windows
are suppose to roll back up.

Joe Peters
Old 03-26-05, 02:49 AM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Yes the keys do contain a battery and no they don't recharge from the switch.

My key battery is fresh and I still only have limited range (about 20-25 ft).

If Joe has his answers and doesn't mind me kidnapping his thread, I'd like to hear from others on the remote range question. Do others have control from far, far away? Is the range for all remote functions the same or do you have to be closer to use LuxLink functions? Did the range for your other key functions change after the LuxLink was installed?

Compared to other SCs I've owned, this one comes up far short in the remote range area.

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 03-26-05 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-26-05, 07:47 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

The thread is all yours.
Thanks to all for your help.

When it stops raining I'll get out my 30 foot steel tape
and see how far the remote works. I think it's about 60'.
Old 03-27-05, 12:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by aquanuke
I have to be standing next to my car to use the remote.. even for locking/unlocking. Its also the same with the spare key.

Any ideas why ? I dont think its things getting in the way of the signal as its like this where ever I am.

I guess the key charges whilst in the ignition so it should always be fully charged.

Also that trick of holding the key to your head dosent work on my car.. although when I do it on my Range Rover I get about double the distance.
that's weird, you sure the battery is ok?

i got superb range for the sc430?
Old 03-29-05, 10:49 PM
vvking
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem
Yes the keys do contain a battery and no they don't recharge from the switch.

My key battery is fresh and I still only have limited range (about 20-25 ft).

If Joe has his answers and doesn't mind me kidnapping his thread, I'd like to hear from others on the remote range question. Do others have control from far, far away? Is the range for all remote functions the same or do you have to be closer to use LuxLink functions? Did the range for your other key functions change after the LuxLink was installed?

Compared to other SCs I've owned, this one comes up far short in the remote range area.
I have better range for the lock/unlock function than the LuxLink functions. I often have to be much closer to the car for the remote top operation to work than I do for lock/unlock.
Old 03-29-05, 10:54 PM
locutusDE
Driver School Candidate

Besides the mod from luxurymotorworks - has anyone found out if it's possible to open the top while driving?

In Europe opening the top is very limited. That means if driving any faster than 5 km/h you cannot open the top. Is there a solution to raise this speed to about 30-50 km/h???

Thanks in advance!

Bye Oliver
Old 03-29-05, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by locutus
Besides the mod from luxurymotorworks - has anyone found out if it's possible to open the top while driving?

In Europe opening the top is very limited. That means if driving any faster than 5 km/h you cannot open the top. Is there a solution to raise this speed to about 30-50 km/h???

Thanks in advance!

Bye Oliver
well.... maybe you should think about why you are not allowed to open the top when driving..... can you imagine how much air resistance it puts on the car when top is coming down? the whole thing can break off if the car is fast enough...

so in short, no way you can do that, no matter what. i don't think anyone would be stupid enough to design that
Old 03-29-05, 11:30 PM
locutusDE
Driver School Candidate

well.... maybe you should think about why you are not allowed to open the top when driving..... can you imagine how much air resistance it puts on the car when top is coming down? the whole thing can break off if the car is fast enough...

so in short, no way you can do that, no matter what. i don't think anyone would be stupid enough to design that
There would be absolutely no problems when opening the top at speeds up to 30 km/h! Those modifications are available for many convertibles (to bypass speed limits or restrictions like opening the top only when pushing brake or using handbrake). Surely no one thinks of opening the top at high speed!

Bye Oliver
Old 03-29-05, 11:31 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

The factory top up/down is 4 miles per hour. It's not a good thing to move the top while driving any faster. You don't want the parachute effect. That would be very bad!
Old 03-29-05, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Longo Lexus
The factory top up/down is 4 miles per hour. It's not a good thing to move the top while driving any faster. You don't want the parachute effect. That would be very bad!
haha well, just when you think the braking on the sc430 isn't good enough
Old 03-29-05, 11:48 PM
locutusDE
Driver School Candidate

haha well, just when you think the braking on the sc430 isn't good enough
Ok, you're right. Safety first.

Quick Reply: remote top help