SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bluetooth Phone Quality Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 10:31 PM
markch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth Phone Quality Bad?

Has anyone else noticed the degraded quality of the connection when the phone is paired with your NAV/Phone system? Everyone I talk to from within my car complains about poor connection and dropped words.

I finally got the firmware upgraded on my V710 and now most Bluetooth functions work with the exceptions of the phonebook upload. Hope the class-action resolves that (www.kirtlandpackard.com/v710).

This has nothing to do with the firmware upgrade. The quality was the same with the prior version. I was hoping the update would have resolved the issue.

Last edited by markch; 03-24-05 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-27-05, 06:10 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Hey Mark...

I don't own an SC but do own the awful v710 phone. I'm actually disgusted by what Verizon has done to this phone, disabling all BT features for a phone their selling at an astronomical price! In any event, I can tell you I'm not having the issues you speak of in my 2004 LX. There don't seem to be any problems with the voice quality of the conversation, so I don't really have a great answer as to why you're experiencing what you are.

I read the PDF file and found it interesting that residents of NJ are able to get out of their contract with Verizon Wireless with no penalty if they purchased the v710. I think this should be the case everywhere. I also got the software update, and although it did correct the ringing and antenna signal problem, it still doesn't allow for transfer of the phone book, which to be is a VERY big issue. To my knowledge, there is no way to manually enter the phone numbers into the Lexus phone book and we all know Lexus doesn't dare allow dialing while driving. And yes, I am cognizant of the fact that one could still dial from their phone directly, but this doesn't excuse this ridiculous blunder by Verizon. According to the tech who did the firmware update on my phone, Lexus/Toyota and Audi were the only manufacturers that did not receive the ability to transfer phone book data with the firmware upgrade. Not sure why this is, but he said that he really didn't envision it ever being corrected.

John from Boston
Old 03-30-05, 08:28 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Probably a stupid question, but...

I have the V710 as well, but I don't currently have a vehicle with BT capability. Would the firmware upgrade be of any value to me? Does Verizon do the firmware upgrade/flashing for no fee?
Old 03-30-05, 09:24 AM
Enigma869
Driver

Unfortunately, if you don't have a vehicle with BT capability, then you won't be able to test whether or not the firmware update took place. When I originally brought the v710 to Verizon, they held on to it for over an hour and then gave it back to me and told me I was all set. Upon returning to my car, I realized my phone still wasn't working as it was supposed to. I had to return to Verizon and get the firmware update done a second time. Verizon does not charge for this firmware upgrade, as they were sued as part of a class-action suit and this was one of the settlements they decided upon.

John from Boston
Old 03-30-05, 09:31 AM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciate the information, John. I am looking at adding a vehicle to the garage that will have BT, but that probably won't be until fall. I imagine unless something better comes along before then, I'll still have the V710 and will need the firmware upgrade at that point. I just didn't know if it would be to my advantage to go ahead and have it done now.

It's a shame that Verizon has the best network in this area because that makes it incredibly difficult for me to justify leaving their deplorable customer service behind for another carrier with better phone selections.