SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Suspension question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-05, 08:20 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Suspension question.

Hi gang. Called dealer about the clunk when stepping into the car, and when crossing railroads and such, and was told no TSB from Lexus yet. Hmmmm, it sounds like it'll never be one. And don't want to let these people beat my car up for nothing; I went thru this crap on my GS400 and they never guessed the problem in 2 years (shimmy) until the TSB came out.

But the reason for this post is the following. Service manager said it most likely comes from the front struts' hydraulics (guy said our cars have struts and not shocks; what's the difference?). Then I asked if they could be swapped with the '05 ones, which are supposedly better. He said NO, unless all 4 were replaced, since they are COMPUTER CONTROLLED. If they'd just replace my struts with the same, why bother?

Unfortunately, I called right after finishing an oil change on my car; didn't have a chance to scrutinize this, but I'm almost sure there're no wires on our struts; otherwise we'd have the option to change suspension settings, and we don't.

Does anybody know if our car has indeed computerized struts? I'd like to take care of this problem, but want to understand what the cause could be. Thanks.
Old 05-03-05, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man what the hell was he smoking.... our cars are nice but it's not that advanced yet... the car has just the traditional springs/shocks system..... if it's something that advanced, how can most of us just swap to coilovers so easily. there is no computer control or whatsoever at all, i dont' see any wires connected to the springs/shocks system.....

but i think it does make sense to change all 4 suspension if you do, coz' it's more about balance imho

but i probably wouldn't trust much from what that service manager said....

the soarer in japan, however, does have the option of air suspension i believe, and that would be more complicated i suppose
Old 05-03-05, 04:46 PM
JCtx
Racer

Hey Rominl, thanks man. That's what I thought. All the cars I've seen with electronic shock control have the wires coming out from the top of the shocks, inside the hood (to keep water out). I'll call the manager and tell him he's full of it.
I still wish there was a fix for that clunk though. I refuse to let thos clowns drive the crap out of my car just to tell me they don't know what's wrong.
Do any of you have that problem corrected? I don't mind the slight clunking when stepping in, but it sounds bad when getting over a pot hole of a bump. And it doesn't have to be that big to happen. Thanks
JC
Old 05-03-05, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

no problem man, i am just sharing my 2 cents of comments. i have to admit i have bad ears. with the stock suspension i never heard any noice when going over bump or so. is this with the window up or down? seems like it's pretty loud?

now i have coilover of course i dont' hear anything.
Old 05-04-05, 07:43 AM
JCtx
Racer

Yes, I can hear it with the top and windows up, and even the stereo playing (not overly loud though). It's definitely not something loose on the suspension because there's zero noise over normal road imperfections. I'm almost certain it's the shocks.
Talked to the only dealer in town, and the 2nd service manager in a few months is gone AGAIN. The highest 'authority' was a service advisor that didn't know crap. I guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks or months again.
Maybe I can give a call to Lexus corporate? Where can I find the right number to call? Thanks.
JC
Old 05-04-05, 01:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Yes, I can hear it with the top and windows up, and even the stereo playing (not overly loud though). It's definitely not something loose on the suspension because there's zero noise over normal road imperfections. I'm almost certain it's the shocks.
Talked to the only dealer in town, and the 2nd service manager in a few months is gone AGAIN. The highest 'authority' was a service advisor that didn't know crap. I guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks or months again.
Maybe I can give a call to Lexus corporate? Where can I find the right number to call? Thanks.
JC
yeah you should call lexus corp imho, let them know the guys at the dealership are giving you bull and see how they can help. on lexus.com go to contact and i remember seeing their contact info

if it's something that loud then it's definitely something they need to look into
Old 05-05-05, 01:35 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have the "sit it the car after it sits overnight clunk"
but not the pot hole clunk you described.
Are you still on run-craps. that might be the pot hole problem.
Old 05-14-05, 10:42 AM
JCtx
Racer

Sorry for the delay. Yes Joe, I still have the run-craps, and will continue with them for a while; car only has 2,500 miles; don't want to throw new tires away. At any rate, car shouldn't have clunking sounds regardless of tires. Will follow Rominj's advice and call Lexus corporate next week. I think the 'clunk-when-you-step-in' is related to the one on potholes; I probably just have it worse than others. I'll let you know what Lexus has to say on this issue; they better not say they don't know about it, because the ex-service manager said he touched base with them, and they acknowledged the problem but not a solution. This was over a year ago. Have a nice weekend.
JC
Old 05-15-05, 12:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow man, 2004 and only 2500 miles, now that's really a weekend car
Old 05-15-05, 12:12 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Your 2005 probably have much more miles than that already ?
Old 05-15-05, 12:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Your 2005 probably have much more miles than that already ?
4k and ramping @_@
Old 05-17-05, 05:09 PM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem with my 2002 in that there is a "clunking" noise when I turn the wheel and step on the brakes, but ONLY when cold. For instance, I hear the noise from the front wheel area when leaving my garage in the morning at the bottom of the driveway which curves and is sloping down, but nothing after it is warmed up. It seems like it has something to do with the first time I step on the brakes, but I don't see or feel any problems with the brakes. If anyone has heard of this or has any ideas, I'd be very grateful.

I did have a creaking noise in my previous SC300 over large and gradual bumps when it was cold which I endured for years. It turned out to be the sway bar bushings, and I wish I had replaced them much sooner!
Old 05-17-05, 07:44 PM
JCtx
Racer

Interesting discovery Bubba; will pay attention to see if my car follows the same pattern. I think it will, since the step-in-the-morning clunk only happens the first time I use the car. The other day I wasn't paying attention, but I'm almost sure I heard it from the rear this time.
Does anybody know if the shocks are the same all around, or different front and rear? Maybe it's the same kind of shock but different lenghts. Rominl? Any other suspension expert?
JC
Old 05-17-05, 07:52 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Mines a 2002 with 7,000 on the clock

I only use it when the sun's shining .. living in England we dont get much sun!
Old 05-17-05, 08:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Mines a 2002 with 7,000 on the clock

I only use it when the sun's shining .. living in England we dont get much sun!
damn you guys have too many cars. if we dont' drive teh car every day we can't get to work

if that's the clunk sound you talk about, that's the brake pad shifting when cold. i know it's sorta common on the gs

Quick Reply: Suspension question.