SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lost Lock

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-05, 06:02 PM
Silvertoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Lock

My 2002 sc430 had a meldown. I have no idea how but the drivers side door lock was lost-can't figure this one out. Had the car washed and went back to the office and no lock. Went to open the door and the handle came off of the door. Has anyone else had a similar problem. The car is still under warranty so I want them to cover it but Lexus is fighting me. There is no evidence that someone tried to break into the car as ther is no damage around the lock { or lack thereof} The car also lost the ability to have the key interlock with park so you can now remove the key in drive. Also the light on the dash with the gears doesn't work and my radio door doesn't work. I thought Lexus was supposed to be bulletproof.
Old 05-16-05, 06:11 PM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Someone broke into your car and screwed around with things.

Your insurance rather than the warranty should pay for this mess.

Apply Occam's razor.*

--------------
* A principal which holds that when more than one solution to a problem exists, the simplest and most obvious answer is likely to be the most valid. In other words, never seek a complicated explanation when a simple one is available.
Old 05-16-05, 06:53 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah i agree someone tried to break into your car

have you noticed anything missing

where from in nj

but if this wasnt a theft attempt

then that is really weird

this happen to anyone else
Old 05-16-05, 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow man, this is weird, something is really missing.... the lock can almost impossibly fall off, and even if it falls off, it gotta be INSIDE the door panel, especially when the cover is still there. otherwise someone must have took them out
Old 05-17-05, 03:19 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertoy
My 2002 sc430 had a meldown. I have no idea how but the drivers side door lock was lost-can't figure this one out. Had the car washed and went back to the office and no lock. Went to open the door and the handle came off of the door. Has anyone else had a similar problem. The car is still under warranty so I want them to cover it but Lexus is fighting me. There is no evidence that someone tried to break into the car as ther is no damage around the lock { or lack thereof} The car also lost the ability to have the key interlock with park so you can now remove the key in drive. Also the light on the dash with the gears doesn't work and my radio door doesn't work. I thought Lexus was supposed to be bulletproof.
I agree with the consensus that supports an attempted break-in. I experienced a similar occurence with a `94 SC400 that I once owned. I went to get into the car one morning, used the remote (which worked) and, as I reached for the driver's door handle, noticed that there was a mess of wires where the handle used to be. According to my Lexus technician at the time, thieves tried to disable the alarm/anti-theft system by causing a "short" in the circuit. Thus, the reason why wires were hanging out of the space in the door where the handle once was. The technician said that it appeared that the would be thieves were close to succeeding and that probably something scared them away. In your case I would say that the thieves used similar tactics and were successful in damaging your electrical system. You should inventory the contents of the vehicle and contact your insurance company in order to claim under your comprehensive coverage.
Old 05-17-05, 01:02 PM
rombrigs
Driver School Candidate

Nobody tried to break in.

The lock cylinder assembly and trim around it is held in by a screw from behind (the door panel has to come off to access it). It kind of acts like a set screw. This came loose and detached itself from the cylinder. I guarantee you the lock cylinder is floating around the floor of the carwash right now or in the sewer. If you still had the lock assembly, you would see the threads on the back for the set screw and if you look at your door you will see the tip of a gold screw recessed in the rubber trim (rightmost edge).

The morons should have used a little locktite.

Your looking at about $340 for the parts, installation, and to have a locksmith rekey the new cylinder. Been there, done this.

-Roger
Old 05-17-05, 07:05 PM
Silvertoy
Driver School Candidate

Roger,
Thank you for your reply. The dealership removed the driver's side panel to reduce the base vibration from the stereo and probably didf not reattach the panel appropriately causing the lock to be lost. Now the question is will they be willing to accept responsability and pay for the repair?
Old 05-17-05, 08:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertoy
Roger,
Thank you for your reply. The dealership removed the driver's side panel to reduce the base vibration from the stereo and probably didf not reattach the panel appropriately causing the lock to be lost. Now the question is will they be willing to accept responsability and pay for the repair?
taking off the door panel has nothing to do with the outside door latch though, that's completely different
Old 05-17-05, 09:10 PM
Cruizing
Rookie

It may have been a break-in attempt. I had this happen to me. They drilled out the lock without damaging the handle or door. To replace the lock is expensive. They need to cut a temporary key to fit the new lock. In Canada there is only one person that has the codes to do this. It also takes an hour of shop time to r+r the door.
Old 05-19-05, 01:01 PM
Silvertoy
Driver School Candidate

Red face

By finding out what happened to my lock, I was able to pitch a fit at the dealership and they will cover the parts & labor to replace my lost lock. Thanks to Club Lexus members for their imput
Robert
Old 05-23-05, 01:09 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

>Apply Occam's Razor<
In this case, Lockam's Razor?

Refreshing to see someone here (who else, but) referring to Occam's Razor (the Law of Parsimony).
I had a friend whose concept of Occam's Razor was to always assign unexplained events to extraterrestrials. Simple enough.