SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cadillac XLR as a choice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 08:53 AM
Captmike
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cadillac XLR as a choice?

After the jerk at the Lexus dealer in Fresno screwed up my attempt to test drive the SC, I'm starting to consider the XLR.

Of course I'm asking the same question over on the XLR forum that I ask hear and I suppose I should just consider the source...that is to say, what forum that I'm asking the question on. I'm sure that each forum has its dedicated car owners.

Having said that, there is not one person so far on the XLR forum that would consider the SC or SL500/600...some of them have owned both and have said without a doubt the XLR is the way to go.

As a current owner of a 2003 MB E320 I can tell you that it had many problems, it's only now....2 years later that I have gotten all but one worked out.

I demo'ed a SL500 and while I was impressed with it's ride, power, transmission....I was not impressed that there were some squeaks in the are rests on the doors and some wind noise at highway speeds with the top up.
Old 06-09-05, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

from what i heard and read, the sl has quality issues here and there, some owners they have been going back to dealerships a lot. we considered the sl500 when we were shopping for the sc430, but we gave up coz' of the quality issue.

cadillac, sorry but i didn't even think about it. it just does nothing for me pretty much
Old 06-09-05, 09:18 AM
tfischer

Received 220 Likes on 163 Posts

And even if you like its looks (and not everybody likes the looks of the SC either) and even if you don't mind taking a chance on the quality control issue, don't get the Caddy if you want to put the top up or down while the car is in a garage. I also hear that, if you operate the top just after a rain when water is on the car, the bizzare way the trunk opens up to allow the top to store (it opens from the rear only, not both ways like the Lexus or the MB) dumps all the water into the trunk and onto anything you have placed in there.

These are not big deals, but may be things to consider.

The big deal for me would be the #1 ranking in the Powers survey that the SC430 has attained for two years in a row. That's the rank of this model, not just for Lexus as a brand. Reliability and happy owners are good indicators of a quality vehicle.
Old 06-09-05, 09:32 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

For the price of the XLR, I'd just go for the SL, & chances are it won't be better in overall quality than the SL.
I would never consider the XLR(don't like the looks both interior & exterior neither but that's subjective), & the fact that it's selling below expectations & they have to cut production shows.
Old 06-09-05, 09:35 AM
Captmike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AmethySC
For the price of the XLR, I'd just go for the SL, & chances are it won't be better in overall quality than the SL.
I would never consider the XLR(don't like the looks both interior & exterior neither but that's subjective), & the fact that it's selling below expectations & they have to cut production shows.
You said SL twice....did you mean to say SC somewhere?
Old 06-09-05, 09:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Captmike
You said SL twice....did you mean to say SC somewhere?
No, I never intend to refer to the SC at all in my last post

However, the SC430 is definately the best choice overall for the money, & the safest choice, don't let ONE salesman/dealer discourage you from the car.
Old 06-09-05, 10:49 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never liked the caddy when it first came out, only when foose reworked the body in rides, it started to look a bit more appealing... now the interior, the steering wheel just doesnt seem to fit/match the rest of the inside and the odd, almost 90 degree angle on the center console that makes it look as if it didn't flow <design point of view> just doesn't do it for me, my 2cnts..

PS forgot also, thanks to the 'rear seats' on the 430, you can recline a bit more
Old 06-09-05, 11:00 AM
MNPine

I think from a money is no object

SL500
XLR
SC430

From a quality standpoint

SC430
SL500
XLR

The XLR has a lot to offer I think even with the issues that have been mentioned. For the money a 1 or 2 year old SC430 is hard to beat. I keep saying a SL500 is my dream car but the longer I own the SC 430 the more I think it is really a great car.

The XLR has a HUD which I miss from my C5 Corvette days. Once you get use to the HUD it is hard to do without. My wife discovered the NAV system on the SC 430 to be a great feature as well. Before she used it the NAV system would not have been an important feature to her.

XLR has some engine upgrades and other things coming soon so you may want to take another look at it later this year.

I did not know that the SL500 had its share of quality issues. The two MB I have owned have been trouble free. Of course my last 2000 Corvette was trouble free as well.

Old 06-09-05, 11:18 AM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

After sitting in a XLR and SC430 in a test drive event a couple of months back, I would say a SC430 is a better choice. The interior and pedal feel of the XLR was extremely disapointing in a car with this price tag. Go test drive a SC and then an XLR and you will know what I mean.
Old 06-09-05, 12:21 PM
MNPine

I did that XLR, SC, BMW, etc test drive as well. I only got to drive the XLR once since it was the longest line and everyone wanted a shot at it.

I understand what you mean about the SC and the XLR ride differences. The HUD does not overcome the other XLR shortcomings but is a nice feature, IMHO. I am a fan of the XLR. With it being assembled in the Bowling Green Corvette plant it is always a car of interest on the streets of Bowling Green.

In fact one labor day weekend it received more attention than the Corvette did.
Old 06-09-05, 12:24 PM
bjoraker
Driver

Though I prefer my SC, I think the XLR is a beautiful car. It does have quality problems compared to Lexus. I am seriously considering buying an XLR-V used, obviously that would be in a few years since it is not even out til the end of the year. Despite all the negative remarks on this board about the XLR and many of them are true, I know the owners on the XLR forums love it. I think you need to try again for a SC430 test drive... The quality in the SC seeps through in every way. I wanted one for years and after test driving it I bought it on the spot.
Old 06-09-05, 12:31 PM
XZLR8
Driver

I have driven the XLR twice now. The first time, coincidentally, was at the Lexus event last summer, then again last fall after a colleague purchased one. Both times I have been very surprised at how much fun they were to drive and faux-Vette-like (which makes perfect sense). Personally, I don't mind the exterior, although I don't know how I would feel about it long term. (And as another poster said, people have similar issues with the SC.) I just was not impressed at all with the interior quality. In fact, I was completely turned off. Say what you want about the SC, but it's difficult to fault Lexus on that front.

I do think the SL is gorgeous. I just can't justify the extra cash knowing that you're not really getting that much more car, not to mention you are taking the reliability gamble.

I'd certainly encourage you to give the SC the shot it deserves, which means actually taking a test drive.
Old 06-09-05, 12:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

regarding the interior, probably it's just me but i don't really like the xlr. i love the interior design of the sl though (minus all the rattle and squeak of course). overall quality the sc430 is definitely the best of the 3 hands down, no question on that, but i can understand if someone thinks that the sc430 is a bit boring to drive. it's more like a luxury cruiser than a real sport coupe like how the xlr and sl are marketed imho.

i have to admit too i didn't like the sc430 as much but after i bought the car, it's just growing on me so much more. i think the sc430 with top up is really dead quiet inside
Old 06-09-05, 12:48 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I still say go for the SC430 for best overall quality & value, or the SL for the ultimate pimp factor in this class if money is no issue. The XLR just does not do it for me especially for it's price.
For a real performance sports car, I'll take a C6 Z06 Corvette over all 3 of them. The Corvette looks a lot better than the XLR too IMO.
Old 06-09-05, 07:06 PM
SC430icand
Driver School Candidate

There was a comparison done by Car & Driver between the SC, XLR and SL. The issue is October 2003. You can go back two years for back issues and I think the cost is approx $8. I don't recall the exact write-up but do remember some comments - see below...

I use to own an old SL (1977) and I've been to Bowling Green Kentucky where they assemble the Vette along side the XLR. Based on what I saw in the assembly line (every year I tour assembly plants and I've seen the MB in Alabama, BMW, Toyota, Nissan, and so on), my experience with the SL and now my SC, I would tend to agree with many of the comments.

- SC - Quality and what you get for the money
- SL - Looks, power, handling, money no object (but I would get an SC so I have a spare for the times I would need the SL to be in the shop)
- XLR - power, American Made

BYW FYI, most impressive assembly plant would be the following order:
Toyota, BMW, MB, Nissan, Vette/XLR

Good luck
SC430icand

Quick Reply: Cadillac XLR as a choice?