SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

A bad day and a lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-05, 05:06 PM
markch
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bad day and a lesson learned

I normally don’t drive my car to work because I don’t want to get ding in the parking lot, but today was the exception. I had plans to leave early so I drove. Well, you guessed it. Some complete cretin scraped my rear bumper with their Huge SUV. Should I be surprised that they didn’t even leave a note?

So lesson learned and a suggestion. If you have a cell phone with a camera, when you park, take a picture of the license plates of the cars next to you. At least you will have something for the insurance company if you need to file a claim. Since this parking lot is primarily used by the employees at work, chances are I’ll find out who did this since I know what SUV it was.

My insurance will cover the cost less the deductible but it’s still over a $1,000 to repair. Fortunately the damage is only to the bumper and not the metal so the repair should be flawless.

The body shop does all the work for the Lexus dealership and is trained and certified by Lexus. But I have to wait till August to get the work done since their most experienced painter is on vacation. This totally sucks!

2005 SC430 with only 3,400 miles – oh what a wonderful day.

Last edited by markch; 07-01-05 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-01-05, 07:06 PM
SC430icand
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your experience. I think people who put door dings or other cars are most inconsiderate and they just don't care. I hear you and understand how you feel since I'm very picky where I park for this particular reason.

Here's a tip. I drive my car to work almost everyday (7 miles each way) and just about everyone drives alone. I always park at an end spot as close as possible (1-2 inches away for the curve) to the end. Also, I only park where one side of my car is next to the curve and the other side next to the passenger side of the car next to me. Since almost everyone drive by themselves, there's usually no passenger in the car next to you that will open the door to ding you. So between getting as far as possible and next to a car who's doors will like not be opened while you're park, your chances are better for not getting dinged. I've been doing this for years and I don't have any dings on any of my cars. Also, I watch the type of cars I park next two. Two door cars with long doors (yes like ours) usually swing out more. So I don't park next to these type of vehicles...

Good luck with you repair and in finding out who hit your car.
sc430icand
Old 07-02-05, 07:39 AM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

i empathize bro...just recently found a dent above my left front tire...apparently car next to me cranked the week too soon and hit my sc...and again no note
Old 07-02-05, 07:53 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm sorry for what happened , that's why I always try to park in the end spots & as far away from other cars as possible, so far no dings for me, I hope it stays that way.
Old 07-02-05, 08:03 AM
flatfoot
Driver

I feel your pain and I know how pissed you must be. The bumper should be an easy fix.

Flatfoot
Old 07-02-05, 09:01 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience. No matter how careful we are with our cars, it will always be a losing battle. There will always be some careless idiot who will find a way to damage our cars.

Glad that the damage is limited to the bumper. Should make for an painless repair.

Let us know when you find the SUV who damaged your SC...and try to remain calm
Old 07-12-05, 10:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

sorry to hear that man, these craps happens

hope you get it fixed soon. that's why i always park very far away from everyone...
Old 07-13-05, 10:56 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my motto. park as far away from populated compact parking spaces as possible.
find an open parking space to separate at least one empty space from your car and the others.

I had my bumper scraped when I parked in a cross-hatch space and a mustang parked directly right behind me. I thought I was safe.

But when I came out the front corner of the mustang's front license plate scraped my the corner of my rear bumper and left a 1-inch gash. I was devastated.

Thank god that I had it fixed by Dent-Pro that frequently visits the Fremont dealership during the week.

If you think you're safe where you parked, think again. It's amazing what people will do to try to find a parking space and squeeze themselves into it and scrape someone else without realzing or know that they caused it, and take off.

Now, I just park far knowing that I'm safe from the rest of the population.

You got to be **** like me when you gots 102 coats of Zaino.

teeman3
Old 07-18-05, 03:00 PM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Sorry to hear. Someone pull too far into their space and left an imprint from their license plate screws in the front bumper of my Mom's SC. Something on their bumper also put a small tear in the Starsheild.

Her battery was dead on her camera phone, so she just wrote down their plate. Not sure if it's even worth pursuing with insurance since it will likely be less than the deductible.
Old 08-16-05, 09:32 AM
markch
Rookie

Update to my original post. Just got my car out of the shop. The fix is flawless and the door ding they also left in the front fender is gone (paint-less dent repair). Still no sign of the dirt bag SUV. They seem to be avoiding the parking lot like the plague. Go figure.
Old 08-16-05, 09:39 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by markch
Update to my original post. Just got my car out of the shop. The fix is flawless and the door ding they also left in the front fender is gone (paint-less dent repair) . . .
Good to hear that
Old 08-18-05, 08:57 PM
vvking
Driver School Candidate

Default rear bumper nicks

Well, after having my 2002 SC430 for over 4 years now, I have accumulated several nicks and "license plate screw impressions" on my rear bumper. Are these bumpers just really soft, or what? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix these inexpensively?
Old 08-18-05, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no "inexpensive" way, just need to patch them and repaint the bumper.

i don't think the bumper is softer or so