SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What to do???

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05, 12:06 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default What to do???

Took my car for a spin this morning to check on a house I'm financing to my brother-in-law (it's been A YEAR today), and the SOB left a huge hole where the water cover should be right in the middle of the driveway; no orange cone, no nothing. You guessed what happened: didn't see it, and fell right into it with the right front tire. Fortunately, I was alone, and with the other 3 tires still on ground. The sound was nasty, but didn't feel a jolt like when the downward movement of the car is suddenly stopped (the kind that your spine feels). I was able to power the car out of the hole without a problem.
The aftermath. Thought it hit in the middle, but no damage visible. The brunt of the hit was taken by the towing 'hook', and the bottom of the bumper was badly scraped, but not broken. I was surprised not even the black plastic piece in front of the tire was broken (just scraped at the edges). Will lift the car later today, and check the car with a magnifier (panels misaligned, operation of the roof, other hits, etc).
My question to you is if you'd replace that piece, which is the ENTIRE front end. I don't know if the liability policy builders have would cover this damage (I was also stupid not to see it, with all honesty, but was checking out the house, and I shouldn't be looking for holes on driveways anyway, right?), but my comprehensive would, at the tune of $1K deductible. The damage is hardly seen at all since it's mostly at the very bottom of the piece (you can see a bit from 10' away if looking hard, but haven't touched it up) . I probably can live with it, but wonder if it'd lower resale value by more than my deductible. Car is an '04 with 2,900 miles on it. I also wonder if those pieces come already painted from the factory, and if replacing it would be worse than leaving it alone. I can take a pic if I can figure out how to post here (don't have a picture 'hosting' service). Thanks for your advice.
JC
Old 07-03-05, 12:49 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Joe,

I think the part you're referring to is the bumper cover. Honestly, after a "few" years looking at used SCs, it's rare to see one that doesn't have some scrubbing under there and few people would deduct for such normal wear. Your other alternative (replace the bumper cover) may actually cause a discountable problem since mis-matching the paint is not uncommon. I'm told that the "flex" material they add to the paint changes the color slightly and must be accounted for. Anyway, look around at the stock of SC300, 400s and 430s in your area and half will have mis-matched paint on the bumper covers. Around here, dealer paint these covers routinely as part of making cars sale ready (some even do it outside in the parking lot) and I guess most of the buyers don't really see the difference.

Anyway for my money, touch up the little spot that you can see and be finished. Don't take on the expense of the parts, paint and labor (probably $2-3K) to possibly end up with a more noticable problem.

No, they don't come painted from the factory. Too bad as that would solve the cold match problem).

George
Old 07-04-05, 01:10 PM
herragge
Pole Position

IMO I would change the bumper. Somethign like that would bother me for a long time knowing that there was damage done to the bumper. Selling it, I would imagine would be harder as well since I'm sure the new owner will inevitably see some damage. Fixing it is definetly the solution but whether switching out the bumper or just use some paint scratch is up to you. It doesn't cost 2-3K to paint one bumper either. For my full AC replacement body kit it costed 2500CAD which is about 2000USD and thats with both the front and rear end bumpers and a very quality job. I live in an area as well that is not very competitive where paint places can charge that much for paint jobs as no one else will even TOUCH body kits. In a competitive market like Cali I'm sure a very quality job can be had for $500 easy no problems.

That being said I do have a good condition blue front SC430 bumper that was replaced by my AC body kit if you need it! (my opinion does not change however even though I have bumpers for sale)
Old 07-04-05, 02:10 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

He asked about replacing the whole piece, not just painting the cover.

George
Old 07-08-05, 09:54 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey, thanks a million for your help guys. Here's more detailed info: the piece I was talking about is the 'bumper cover', which is the piece from under the headlights and below. I checked the car under and nothing was broken. I guess the car 'bounced' as it fell in the hole, damaging the bumber underneath (the steel 'hole' used for transport prevented the car from bottoming out on 'hard' parts), but not even the little 'spoiler' in front of the tire was damaged when I powered forward (should have powered rearward IMO; next time <he he>), so the weight of the rear left of the car raised the right front edge up above that piece (it was barely scratched at the bottom of it).
I decided it's not worth replacing the whole thing, as the damage is barely seen. A good touch-up job would be acceptable. If part came painted from the factory I'd probably do it, but I'd regret doing it if the paint match wasn't perfect, which is very likely in this crappy town, where options are limited. Will take a pic soon before doing anything, and will ask for your more informed opinion. It wasn't as bad as I thought.
Thanks again for all your comments and help.
JC
Old 07-08-05, 10:28 AM
jk335
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very good body shop should match the paint perfectly. I am going ahead and painting the bumper cover on the rear of the SC, since there are many scratches on there. I also feel as though that damage would bug the hell out of me as well, so do yourself a favor and find a good shop that uses factory paint and flex paint. They match up very well, if you have a good shop, which I have used many times before. The also blend the paint into other panels for a really good look.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but you can fix your mistake and carry on enjoyign your car.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-12-05, 11:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, i would just change the bumper as well. better yet, maybe you can just wait till the 06 is out and see if you like the 06 bumper more or the current one
Old 07-20-05, 08:04 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Sorry to hear about that ELP JC. I still think your car probably looks better than most on this forum. Just glad you weren't hurt, or your car wasn't damaged more. I hit a freakin' coyote with my NSX about 6 months ago. It was a ***** getting paint to match, but it looks great finally. I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! Take care!!!!
Old 07-24-05, 07:15 PM
rich1fried
Driver School Candidate

Whichever of the above solutions you choose, filing an insurance claim would be foolish. The small amount that you would collect (above your deductible) would result in premiium increases which would make the money collected seem minor. Your claim history stays with you for years. Save your claims for the big dollar events.
Old 08-18-05, 04:28 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Doc C please PM or e-mail me