SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replacing the run flat tires and a spare tire ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-05, 08:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Sigh. . . the things some are willing to put up with for a lowered car with body kits
I' ve scrapped mine in stock height entering the parking lot of my local cineplex a couple times. If & when I get another set of (bigger) aftermarket wheels & need to lower it, I probably have to park further away from the cineplex & walk . . .
yeah, with the sc430 we have given up going to a lot of places
Old 08-10-05, 09:02 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

We have the factory spare tire and even with the top down
I can get a gallon of milk a 6 pack 1.5 liter of wine and still
have room for 4 plastic bags of grocries. If we go to Sam's Club
we have to put the top up and we get a lot of stuff in the trunk.
also have thaen some trips with lots of stuff in the trunk and
back seat. Get rid of the run craps and enjoy the car with a
much much better ride And "Don' t worry be hippy".
Old 08-10-05, 10:21 PM
talwang

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
yeah, with the sc430 we have given up going to a lot of places
rominl, I find you a solution.

Old 08-11-05, 02:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

haha air suspension is definitely an answer. but i kinda like the performance aspect of coilover, where air runner still couldn't match completely

plus with the high price tag, i am not sure if my wife would like it, let alone the fact that we have to mount the module somwhere inside the car
Old 08-11-05, 05:19 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe ...

>I can get a gallon of milk <
MILK?! You're wasting valuable space.

There are some places I never take my SC; Sam's Club and Lowe's, for example. There are too many distracted people pushing too many oversize wagons and carts around those parking lots.
Old 08-11-05, 08:15 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the datasystem air ride controller for?

Old 08-11-05, 11:14 AM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tien CS

Ive been readin how much you guys like your Tien CS. Can you explain please for me why they are better than for expample, than my H&R springs? I am interested in the magic of the Tien, how are they adjustable, can you do the adjustments yourself?

Please let me know if I need them. Im getting a Wald Kit and I dont want to scrape too much. Hopefully, my H&R will be sufficient.

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-11-05, 11:47 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

tien is just a brand, and cs I assume coil overs correct me if I am wrong. The tien set comes with a spring, shock, and coil overs built in. Coil overs just work by giving the use an adjustment to move the spring up or down the strut thus giving the option to raise or lower the car. this is done by spinning the base of the coil over around the shock since it is threaded. you can do this by just jacking up the car until the spring is no longer compressed and turning the spindle. the shocks they supply with the set are probally more heavy duty than the stock ones since they are meant for the car to be lower. Again I am just assuming all this.
Old 08-11-05, 11:56 AM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Thanks, Is he right about all of that ROMINL?
Old 08-11-05, 01:08 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

yea I am right
Old 08-11-05, 01:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the air controller doesn't apply, the sc430 in the states don't have air suspension. it's just independent suspensions.

the coilvoers (and in this case the tein cs) is far superior to springs/shocks setup. coilovers are basically springs and shocks engineered together as a system, and the tein cs allow you to adjust the height and also the dampening of the shock. tein is the brand and cs is the model.... there are other models like flex, ss, etc... but i think cs is the only one available for the sc430.

it's not hard to adjust the height, but it's not like push botton. you have to jack up the car and take off the wheel to adjust it. some elbow grease. the dampening you can adjust it at the top of the coilover system, it's just a **** and you turn it, to make it stiffer or softer. you can also get the edfc units to control it without the car, provided you do all the wiring.

coilovers are much better than springs/shocks coz' they are engineered together, so performance wise it's omre responsive and match better. especially in your case, seems you only have springs, your shocks are under a lot of stress coz' it's always compressed, and your shocks can't withstand the higher spring rate, your shocks will be blown a lot faster than normal. that's why i never get springs/shocks systems, i only get coilvoers. they are a bit more money but they are well worth it.

mike, where are you in cali? there are so many members in cali (including me) and we all have sc430, you can probably see for yourself and maybe even a test drive to see just how good it is.
Old 08-11-05, 01:26 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

So you arent assuming anymore, you are sure, thanks tony. I didnt mean to question you, I just wanted another person who actually has the Tien on their SC430 to comment.
Old 08-11-05, 01:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh and if you don't want to scrap with the wald kits, good luck. i think it's a MUST for everyone with wald kits. maybe better if you have stock height. but given how low the front is, it's just too hard, especially people like me who lowers the car so much...
Old 08-11-05, 01:44 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I love low cars, I just dont like fiberglass, it always seems to crack. I been through 3 front ends That wald lip is fiberglass right? Are there any poly urethane ones?

If your car is just lowered an inch your shocks prob wont blow ever. Toyota/Lexus have pretty good shocks, my celica has been lowered on some ground controls coil overs on stock shocks for 4 years and my stocks are still good.

Last edited by tonydt1g3r; 08-11-05 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-11-05, 02:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't know of a poly kits for the sc430. jp has one that's supposed to be even stronger, but the price tag is really no touch by most people. fiberglass can crak if you hit hard enough, but it's all about how you drive it right? you gotta pay to play.

about the shocks, it depends on what car. the shocks on the celica is probably stiffer so i can withstand more compression from the springs. but the sc430 has a pretty soft shocks, very similar to the gs. on the gs, if you don't get new shocks and just lower the car, the shocks will go pretty fast

Quick Reply: Replacing the run flat tires and a spare tire ?