SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Replacing the run flat tires and a spare tire ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-05, 06:48 PM
yasir
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the run flat tires and a spare tire ?

Tried to do a search but no info so decided to ask you all this question.A friend has an 04 SC 430 and is wanting to replace the run flat tires so what are his options ? Is ther a spare that can be put in the trunk and if yes then where do we look for it ?
It was my first time seing an sc 430 up close and to tell you the truth i really like the car,very nice.Thanks for your help.
Old 08-09-05, 12:08 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Until someone with more SC430 knowledge steps in I will try & help.

Your friend will be much happier with his car when he gets rid of the runflats & this is not a fitment problem with his OEM Rim. I use the same rim on on my LS400.

I cannot answer for the spare.

Did you search under "runflats" here?
Old 08-09-05, 02:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

your friend can get the donut spare option from dealer, it's like 800 bucks, but the trunk become almost no use.
Old 08-09-05, 05:59 AM
Traturn
Driver

You can go 2 routes with the spare.

buy everything (there is a TSB), or buy just the spare tire/wheel & mounting bracket + hold down.

2nd option is only about 400ish in parts, but you'll have an ugly, trim-less trunk that is useless. As opposed to a nice and neatly trimmed useless trunk.

60k car may as well dump the extra $3-400 and make it look good!
Old 08-09-05, 06:37 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why dont you just spend money on road side assistance? then you dont need the spare just a cel.
Old 08-09-05, 10:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
why dont you just spend money on road side assistance? then you dont need the spare just a cel.
with my car? forgoet it. no way you can get it on the flat bed at all, not even with the front lip gone
Old 08-09-05, 10:49 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would buy a BMW "mobility kit" from an M3 or M5 off of EBAY & augment with Lexus Roadside or AAA. This is a cig light powered compressor & leak spray in a small pouch combo.

In My LS , I'm just going to carry a 16" rim & tire combo w roughly the same outer diameter. Plenty of room in my trunk though.
Old 08-09-05, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by damon
I would buy a BMW "mobility kit" from an M3 or M5 off of EBAY & augment with Lexus Roadside or AAA. This is a cig light powered compressor & leak spray in a small pouch combo.

In My LS , I'm just going to carry a 16" rim & tire combo w roughly the same outer diameter. Plenty of room in my trunk though.
with those repair kits, say bye bye to the tire pressure sensor afterwards, if they are still in there. and for low profile tires (19s or so), those kits are very bad for the tire. the shop told me the tire is pretty much gone aftewards, can't repair even if it's just a hole
Old 08-09-05, 12:56 PM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2004 SC430 with runflats and I have no problem with the runflats. I have been riding on runflats in a Corvette for several years so maybe I just got use to them. I like the trunk space with the runflats. It looks like I am exception on this forum.

If I ever have the chance to ride/drive in a SC430 with non-runflats then I may change my mind.
Old 08-09-05, 01:19 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
with my car? forgoet it. no way you can get it on the flat bed at all, not even with the front lip gone

Are you serious? Dude my car is pretty damn low prob 3 inches off the ground at most and it can get towed with a normal tow truck with the forks that go under the car, a flat bed is prefered. Anyways dont some of those guys bring spare tires for you and stuff?
Old 08-09-05, 08:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
Are you serious? Dude my car is pretty damn low prob 3 inches off the ground at most and it can get towed with a normal tow truck with the forks that go under the car, a flat bed is prefered. Anyways dont some of those guys bring spare tires for you and stuff?
i am serious. my car is also about 3 to 4" off the gnd i can't even come close to get on a ramp or driveway straight on, so forget about flatbed. same with my gs400, no way. i guess i can take off the whole front bumper, that might help. but by then i will need to worry about the back (exhaust and rear lip) when the car is going up. i know my gs4 will hit, i doubt if the sc430 can make it too

now the spare tire idea might work. but then for those of us who have bbk in the front, man... banging my head on the wall
Old 08-10-05, 12:06 AM
sc430mike
Pole Position

So what do you have rominl? A spare for the sc430 or roadside assistance? I am not sure what to do for mine yet, I just have roadside assistance but no kit.
Old 08-10-05, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well i always have roadside assistance, aaa. but i really dont' count on them for putting the car on flatbed.

i have spare wheel setup that will clear the front bbk so that's good to go for the gs4. for the sc430, i guess i will just have to get another spare wheel for it. but more than likely i will only put the spare wheel in the car when i am doing long trips on that thing.
Old 08-10-05, 07:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i am serious. my car is also about 3 to 4" off the gnd i can't even come close to get on a ramp or driveway straight on, so forget about flatbed. same with my gs400, no way. i guess i can take off the whole front bumper, that might help. but by then i will need to worry about the back (exhaust and rear lip) when the car is going up. i know my gs4 will hit, i doubt if the sc430 can make it too

now the spare tire idea might work. but then for those of us who have bbk in the front, man... banging my head on the wall
Sigh. . . the things some are willing to put up with for a lowered car with body kits
I' ve scrapped mine in stock height entering the parking lot of my local cineplex a couple times. If & when I get another set of (bigger) aftermarket wheels & need to lower it, I probably have to park further away from the cineplex & walk . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-10-05 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-10-05, 09:53 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I am used to driving a low car its like second nature, but then again I have macpherson suspension not double whishbone, so I think it handles bumps and stuff a bit different.

Quick Reply: Replacing the run flat tires and a spare tire ?