SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Run Flats need replacing after 15K miles - is that normal? If so what to get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-05, 04:58 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a budget try these:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3
I 'm so happy with these Tires. Check this link for the whole story.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=0
We bought our 2002 SC430 certified pre owned and the 1st owner had the good
since to put these on the car. Traction is great wet or dry and what a comfortable
ride yet handles great & Very Quiet. Read the story about how this tire was designed
in Europe for Sports and GT Cars. Yes I have a spare and some time we put the top
up when we go to the grocery store then there is lots of room in the trunk.
We took a road (1500 miles rt) trip to the Gulf coast of Mississippi 6 weeks ago.
By the time we got from Ft Worth to Shreveport and stopped for gas I noticed some-
thing shiny in the rt fr tire (center of the tread). It turned out to be a screw. We drove
the rest of the way and had it repaired with a plug the next day at a local tire shop.
They didn't even have to take the tire off the car. 10 bucks! I can't complain.
The best part about the tires is the price, 200+@ tirerack. The second best part
is the sexy tread pattern. I turn the wheels all the way one direction when parked
and get compliments not only on the car but the tires too.oodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 I 'm so happy with these...

Last edited by Joe Peters; 08-26-05 at 05:04 AM.
Old 08-26-05, 12:21 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm another happy Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3 owner. With those and the Daizen sway bars, my SC430 is a joy to drive - great on dry; great on wet (don't even go NEAR snow).

I happened to purchase these at about $150 each at Tirerack, but I noticed that the price jumped up to around $200 the week after my purchase. Tirerack shipped them directly to my dealer who mounted them for me.

Oh yeah, Joe is right ... cool-looking tread design.
Old 09-21-05, 08:40 PM
bsklar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not happy with Pilot Sport AS

I also read with interest comments on tire replacements for Run Flats that I replaced at 7500 miles. I went for the Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires due to the recomendations on this board. Was happy for about 5 or 6 thousand miles. Then noticed road noise and severe pulling. Talked to my local high end tire folks and they have pulled them off several SCs. Said the only way the could keep the tires from cupping was to run them with 45 -50 psi. I am not recommending that anyone do this just letting you know that I am getting rid of them and will try someting else. Lexus is no help and will not suggest a viable non-runflat for the car.
Old 09-22-05, 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

that's weird, i am loving mine so far. they are pretty good. you sure you got good alignment? most tires when they wear they get loud anyway. the pulling is what i am confused about, shouldn't be

and next time you can try the pzero nero. imho they are the quiestest i have had so far, and softest
Old 09-22-05, 09:30 AM
Bubba
Driver School Candidate

The tire pressure monitors are very easy to move to another wheel or tire with the only problem being compatibility with some wheels (not the tires). If you keep the same wheels and simply put new tires on, be very sure to tell the installer (if not Lexus) to be very careful in installing them. Since the monitor includes the valve stem, they may not be able to repair it if it is damaged and you have to get a new monitor to the tune of about $180 each. I bought my car used and the valve stem on one wheel was broken even though it didn't leak air which was discovered when they went to mount my new tires. What should have been a simple $5 valve stem repair turned out to be $180 because someone wasn't careful in installing it in the first place.

Also, I think the monitors are location or at least side dependent, so be sure to tell the installer to label them when removing. I'm not sure if this is true, but the existing ones had "DF" and "DR" painted by hand on them and I seem to recall being asked which wheel or side when ordering a new monitor from Lexus.
Old 09-23-05, 10:13 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba
The tire pressure monitors are very easy to move to another wheel or tire with the only problem being compatibility with some wheels (not the tires). If you keep the same wheels and simply put new tires on, be very sure to tell the installer (if not Lexus) to be very careful in installing them. Since the monitor includes the valve stem, they may not be able to repair it if it is damaged and you have to get a new monitor to the tune of about $180 each. I bought my car used and the valve stem on one wheel was broken even though it didn't leak air which was discovered when they went to mount my new tires. What should have been a simple $5 valve stem repair turned out to be $180 because someone wasn't careful in installing it in the first place.

Also, I think the monitors are location or at least side dependent, so be sure to tell the installer to label them when removing. I'm not sure if this is true, but the existing ones had "DF" and "DR" painted by hand on them and I seem to recall being asked which wheel or side when ordering a new monitor from Lexus.

Good lord $180 bucks for that sensor is quite a fee to pay.
Old 09-24-05, 07:19 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
that's weird, i am loving mine so far. they are pretty good.
I' ve had the Pilot Sports A/S for 2 years & very happy with them
Old 09-26-05, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I' ve had the Pilot Sports A/S for 2 years & very happy with them
and with their tread life i can't be happier
Old 10-02-05, 01:40 PM
2fast4u
Driver School Candidate

I'm new here, started searching alot on this site just to catch up with you guys but many forums on this site don't save very many threads. Since all threads are compressed to 1 forum (SC430) so I think 3 pages saved is not enough.
Anyways, I'm question related to tires is:
1/ how many of you driving around w/o run-flat tires,if so, where do you put the spare tire, or you don't have 1?
2/ How Lexus's road side assistance will assist us if we have a flat tire on aftermarket non-runflat tires? will they loan us a spare tire?
Old 10-02-05, 06:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

1) i drive around with 20s and no runflats. i only put spare tire in the trunk when i am doing long trips
2) i think they will still tow your car on the flat bed for you. however with my car (lowered, kits, aftermarket wheels, etc... there is no way they can help...
Old 10-03-05, 04:53 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Talking

No run-craps for me ever again, I had a bad experince
with them on a Corvette. I had a good experince with a
flat on " real tires ". If you have a flat Lexus road side
service will pick u up and take you to the steelership.
There prices on tires were very high so I just had them
remove the wheel/tire and took it to discount tire. They
installed a new tire at a fair price then I took it back to
Lexus and they put it back on the car (charged me 10.00).

We now have a donut spare but if we had a flat I would
do the same thing again. The spare makes my wife feel
safe & it only takes up about 1 1/2 paper grocery sacks of
space ( big deal ). We can still get a lot of stuff in the trunk .

Good luck with your SC. Best car I have ever owned, it
the best of all worlds.
Old 10-03-05, 11:10 AM
2fast4u
Driver School Candidate

For Sc430, there's no space in the trunk for small spare tire.
though, there's a half tire shape standing virtically against the rear but then I would not be able to lay down the rear trunk's carpet, that means all the tow tool will be out on display>>> no cool<<<
Old 10-03-05, 11:33 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you purchase the kit, you get new carpets ...
Attached Thumbnails Run Flats need replacing after 15K miles - is that normal? If so what to get?-doodah.jpg  
Old 10-03-05, 12:25 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

I was suprised how much room I still have
Old 10-03-05, 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup you can fit a donut spare in that space

well, this past weekend my wife drove up long trip and we put one stock wheel in the trunk lying down. she was still able to fit all her luggages around

Quick Reply: Run Flats need replacing after 15K miles - is that normal? If so what to get?