SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

paint question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 03:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

black paint around the fogs? what is it? i just detailed the whole car this past weekend and around the fogs it's chrome trim?

and yeah keep us posted mario. about the painted hood, the main thing is about a perfectly matched color hood in perfect condition. it's from factory doesn't mean the color will match 100%
Old 10-03-05, 04:02 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
black paint around the fogs? what is it? i just detailed the whole car this past weekend and around the fogs it's chrome trim?

and yeah keep us posted mario. about the painted hood, the main thing is about a perfectly matched color hood in perfect condition. it's from factory doesn't mean the color will match 100%
Henry the only chrome there is, is a frame around the foglight itself. There are 4 horizontal slits or lines around the foglight area. The raised part is painted the color of the car and the inside is painted black. I took photos but the file size is too big. I will retake them and post after I help my son with his homework. Stand by
Old 10-03-05, 04:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh those slats are painted black? man i didn't know that, i thought they were "real" slats, didnt' know it's all solid and just some outward and some inward

any case, so that means even the bumper was repainted before?! ok this is getting worse if it's true....
Old 10-03-05, 05:21 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Yes the outward slats are painted to the car color and the inside is painted black.
Old 10-03-05, 05:24 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tfischer
What you should expect from the dealer is a new car, since a re-painted hood is a material deviation from what you ordered and paid for, despite the fact that it seems the repainting is pretty hard to detect or notice.

What you will get will depend upon the the dealer to a certain extent, upon the Lexus regional management to a certain extent, and of course upon the laws of Canada, which I know nothing about. I don't even know if Canada has any laws.

Still, unless you signed something that says "as is," you should be in pretty good shape.
I agree with tfischer.

I think dealer can state all they want but if they did not tell you the truth by addressing the repaint issue, what do you think they will tell you if the car has been recked in any way instead of just a scratch? This is not something that is blown out of proportion but merely an act of integrity by the dealership which we all come to appreciate the competency that each Lexus dealer possesses. The dealer is considered a merchant and if they did not disclose the fact the car has been repainted and still selling the car as a new car, I believe there is some legal ramifications to it. I am not an attorney but seeking for legal advise may not be a bad idea. Sorry to hear that, Mario. Keep us updated.

Mark.
Old 10-03-05, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

here are the pics

Old 10-04-05, 10:46 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

wow I just stoped to see an sc that was parked on the road and that black piece around the foglight is just black plastic. It is not even supposed to be painted black and there is no paint jaggedness around it from the cars actual color like I have with the white.
Old 10-04-05, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

uh oh.... so that means the bumper was repainted as well before?! you got a much worse issue man...
Old 10-04-05, 01:49 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

OK, today I called my dealer and told them I don't want the vehicle and I am dropping it off. They told me to bring it in. I met with the manager. I showed him the butcher job on the foglights. He said my eye is amazing. Anyway he said they are with me all the way and they have been had also. Which I know is true, because I picked it up the day they got it from Vancouver. Vancouver said they know nothing about it. This seems like a big cover up. Even the salesmen were coming up to me all stunned that this could be possible. Anyway the manager said they are going to put the car inside. Lexus head office is coming out tomorrow to see the vehicle. He went on to say that he has located and put a hold on a white /ecru 06. (they have a pebble beach in the showroom).

So far my dealer is being a class act. Lets see what head office has to say.

Wow, do I really want a Lexus again?
Old 10-04-05, 02:50 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by camillian
So far my dealer is being a class act. Lets see what head office has to say.

Man, sorry to hear about the situation. That said, if you think YOUR dealer has been honest with you and you still like the car, don't let this hiccup steer you away from the car. Regardless of what has happened, the SC is still a very nice car. Take the new one, double check it , and enjoy.
Old 10-04-05, 03:16 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camillian
Mario, the reason why you purchased the SC or Lexus I believe should not changed just because a dishonest act of the dealership (not even the dealership that sold you the car because it appears they don't even know what's going on). If they are holding an 06' for you, that should compensate a great deal since you are getting lots of upgrades. Stay with the family until your lease is up. Trust me, you won't regret owning a piece of art.
Old 10-04-05, 04:32 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, I am not second guessing my decision. I loved the car for the month I had it, and i will stick with an sc430. I even think the guys at my dealership are great. First class. I just felt that question or statement had to be put forth, because some where down the line someone representing lexus has tried to pull a fast one. Integrity should be the most important issue with a higher end manufacturer.

This car has a build date of November 04. That means it got into Canada sometime in late December or early January. So it has been around for a good 8 months.
There is no record in the computer on any painting anywhere on this vehicle. Vancouver said they didn't touch it. Someone has fixed this vehicle and kept it quiet. What kills me is I could do a better job on the foglights than whoever did it. I wouldn't have painted the black plastic with black paint. I would have taken them apart , painted the car and put new ones on since they come black without being painted from factory. This is mind boggleing. Now the hood is another story
Old 10-04-05, 04:45 PM
tfischer

Received 213 Likes on 159 Posts

Your dealer is a class act, which is the norm for Lexus dealers.

The SC430 has the highest owner satisfaction ratings ever recorded.

You can tell from the posts here that this is a very unusual situation that Lexus is taking care of. Take the new car. I mean, what else would you want?
Old 10-04-05, 06:27 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tfischer
Your dealer is a class act, which is the norm for Lexus dealers.

The SC430 has the highest owner satisfaction ratings ever recorded.

You can tell from the posts here that this is a very unusual situation that Lexus is taking care of. Take the new car. I mean, what else would you want?
Yes I will, but I still have to wait for head office to make the decision?

Otherwise I'll need a lawyer
Old 10-04-05, 09:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

wow the lexus dealershi is very nice! and personally if you can get a 06, i think that's an even better deal!

if you don't want the "new parts" off teh 06, let's talk!

Quick Reply: paint question