SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-06, 08:30 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The jacking points are fine for short term use however keep in mind that the metal will bend over time. A wood block with the right notches that fit nicely into the jack points is best. Some jack up the rear of the car via the differential which is fine to position the stands on the sides. Just do not use the differential for long term use.
Hope that helps
Lee
Old 05-09-06, 08:34 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may wish to consider a couple of additional expenses.

First, a custom fit, cable lockable "NOAH" exterior car cover. This keeps the vent air systems dust free and clean while sitting outside. Along with the paint, rubber trim and interior, since it's an ultraviolet light shield. A custom fit won't blow off in the wind.

Second, a "Battery Tender - Plus", 1.25 amp trickler charger to keep your battery and electrical system in good shape. This is unlike a normal battery charger in that it senses for a trickle charge when needed, then switches on and off as required. (Pep Boys have on sale this week in Arizona). I use mine just to keep my batteries in full charged condiction.

Placing on jackstands; jackstand the front wheels first, since it's heavier. Then the rear wheels.
I have heard the opposite on the air pressure, suggesting to fill the air pressure just below the recommended maximum pressure on the sidewall. But this was for bias ply or radial tires, not run flats. You might consider a call to Lexus for their opinion.
Old 05-09-06, 03:25 PM
EskieFan54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all
Doug
Old 05-09-06, 05:01 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts
Default More links on storage . . .

Link One

Link Two

Link Three
Old 08-26-08, 01:29 AM
jasonj
Rookie

Default Long Term Storage To Do's

Hi guys,
It's been awhile since I posted here but been regularly checking up on the posts.

I am in need of your expert advice. Due to work, I will be spending my next three months in US. I will have to leave the car in my garage for three months without it being driven. What are the “To Do” lists for me prior to my departure? I plan to leave low gasoline in the tank and disconnect the battery. Is there anything else that I need to consider in doing?

TIA!

Jason
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)-garage.jpg  
Old 08-26-08, 05:24 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are using ethanol enhanced fuel, you should consider adding a fuel stabilizer product to your gas tank. Add it early and run it to insure the stabilized fuel is throughout the fuel system.
Old 08-26-08, 05:36 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

get a battery manager like this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...manager+iii.do

to protect the interior from moisture, u could use something like this:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...siccant+bag.do

Then you'll be set and not have to worry about a weak battery when you come back and start right up.
Old 11-28-11, 09:02 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter Storage suggestions

Does anyone have ideas how we should store our 2003 SC430 for the winter.

I'm parking it in a detached garage at my late father in-laws house. The car came with a battery buddy trickle charger mounted to the top of the battery. I was told to leave it plugged in all winter so the battery drains all the way down and starts the recharging process again.

I'm not convinced this is a good idea...what if the car catches fire. The home is vacant and I only stop by once every few weeks.

Anything else I should do besides throw a cover on it. Put additives in gas tank or get tires off the ground (jack stands)

TIA
Old 11-28-11, 09:39 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll let others chime in from up north but I've heard the battery tender is a great idea, obviously turn off everything, car cover would be good, check the garage for rodents/squirrels and seal it up good. Tons of people use battery tenders with no issues. I'm considering getting one for my garage queen myself.
Old 11-28-11, 10:55 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

rodents? wow I never thought of that. It will be in Chicago....must keep the politicians away.
Old 11-29-11, 06:14 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

I don't know what a "battery buddy" is, but as far as I know, the "Battery Tender" is the device to use for long term storage as it stops charging when the battery reaches full charge, and only recharges as necessary; a continuous charge, even a trickle, is not good for the battery over a long time period. There are gasoline stabilizers that can be added to the tank to retard oxidation, and are readily available at auto and at hardware stores - there is no downside to using something like that, and it is inexpensive. Other than that, you should be fine for a three or four month period. Starting it up during the storage period and driving it a bit to move the tires would be good but not necessary. I store mine with the battery tender for most of the winter and have had no problems; the car starts right up after three months of inactivity.
Old 11-29-11, 06:19 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I store my SC430 every year for 6 months as I live in the winter wonder land of Vermont.

I add the fuel additive, vacuum it really well, so there is no smell of food or food particles, clean the outside, put foam/rags under the windshield wipers so the blades do not stick to the windshield, crack both the windows about half inch to allow air to flow through the cabin, put high density foam blocks under tires to avoid flat spots, stuff intake and exhaust with rags, disconnect and remove battery from car and bring it inside for warm storage, and then put cover on.

I do not believe in moth ball, dryer sheets, or putting out bait for rodents. If you did a good job cleaning your car it shouldn't be an issue, however...if you're in an area with high concentration of rodents...nothing will keep them if they want in. maybe a prayer will help. I have been storing vehicles of all types since 2004 and have never had a rodent issue knock on wood.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-29-11, 06:22 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
I was told to leave it plugged in all winter so the battery drains all the way down and starts the recharging process again. TIA
I don't believe that any automobile charger would discharge the battery completely and then recharge it. This technique is used for Ni-Cad batteries but not lead-acid automotive batteries. I agree with the others here that you should be using a smart-charger such as a Battery Tender. These won't cook your battery and deplete the electrolyte over time like a trickle charger.

Raising the car off of the tires is a good way to avoid flat spots on your tires. I can be a pain to accomplish though.
Old 11-29-11, 06:40 AM
jimxo
Pole Position

Battery Buddy may be incorrect, It may be Battery Tender. My wife has the car at work today so I will check it later,
Old 11-29-11, 12:46 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh yeah, rodents. They have an affinity to Lexus and Toyota. Nice warm sealed cabins and engine compartments. Good intake/exhaust. Don't believe me...but read some of these crazy stories! They also like cabin filters and air filters!

They like warmth! See the first one...YUK!

http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/vie...itemid=901741&

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=215919

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-on-gs300.html

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=62274

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=63778

Quick Reply: SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)