SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 08:50 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Oh yeah, rodents. They have an affinity to Lexus and Toyota. Nice warm sealed cabins and engine compartments. Good intake/exhaust. Don't believe me...but read some of these crazy stories! They also like cabin filters and air filters!

They like warmth! See the first one...YUK!

http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/vie...itemid=901741&

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=215919

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-on-gs300.html

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=62274

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=63778
YIKES!!!! I need to find some more wood to knock on!!!!
Old 11-30-11, 10:21 AM
Cliff1F2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If storing the car in a garage with an unsealed concrete floor, a vapor barrier between the car and the floor is useful to prevent rust formation on the undercarriage.
Old 11-30-11, 02:52 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Rataway.com

I found out about it AFTER I had some of my wiring eaten away. One of my O2 sensors and a wire to my engine computer were eaten through. They also got into my ventilation duct and chewed up some insulation. The insulation got stuck on the blower wheel and made it unbalanced. The fan shook the entire dash. Most of the customers for RatAway come to buy AFTER they've had damage. Some think it has to do with the new materials used for insulating wires and it smells good to rodents. I don't know.

The damage wasn't done to my SC but rather to my Chrysler van. Thank God.

Last edited by Bon; 11-30-11 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-30-11, 02:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,364 Posts

We assembled a lot of great links and suggestions for the last Club Lexus newsletter. Link to the index here

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/mai...cle-ready.html
Old 12-04-11, 11:00 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A mouse can squeeze through any hole big enough to poke its head through. In many cases, that's about the circumference of a pencil. If sacrificing vermin is not abhorrent to you, scatter a few bags (no need to open them) of Havoc around the perimeter of the garage floor.

I've used a Battery-Tender for 10 years and am still using the battery that came with the car.

I don't know if there is a generic high-density foam you can find, but you can get tire "cradles" here www.tirecradle.com. I've been using them for 10 years. Incidentally, a small auto museum nearby (about 150 cars) uses them under all their cars.
Old 12-05-11, 05:08 PM
NWcoast
Driver School Candidate

I am using a small float battery charger which just maintains the battery charge at the level it is when last driven. I try and run the car every 7-10 days or so. Before using this the battery became a problem as the temperature dropped.
Old 03-23-14, 04:20 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Winter Storage

Last summer I purchased a 07 SC430. I put it in winter storage on the first of November by pumping up the tires and disconnecting the battery. I plan to bring the car out of storage around the first of May. Some of my friends tell me that I may not be able to start up the car once I reconnect the battery because once the car loses power it has to have the on board computer re-programmed by the dealer. Is this going to be a problem for me? Paul
Old 03-23-14, 05:27 PM
FLYCT

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You shouldn't gave a problem starting the car. I would fully charge the battery before installing it in the car. Batteries loose charge just sitting idle.

You will need to reprogram your memory seats, reset the preset radio stations and reselect proper US zone on your GPS. These are user functions described in your owners manual.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 03-23-14 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-23-14, 05:46 PM
Slingshot1
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Damn, we heard you had a bad winter, but you can't get your ride out til May? We lucked out in Denver with a mild winter. If you have the power at your storage site a battery tender will save a lot of work. Hope spring arrives soon for you!
Old 03-24-14, 07:58 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

I have tried a lot of things for winter storage of my SC, and found this solution a few years ago, thanks to a friend who found it first.
Unfortunately, I have a one-car garage and two cars. Fortunately, there is a flat area in my side yard next to the garage. In the summer, the SC goes into the garage, often with the top down, and the RX lives outside. I drive the SC very little if at all during the winter.
I have tried leaving it in the garage, but that gives me a cold and often snow covered RX to wrestle with. I tried the SC outdoors under a cover, but was not happy with that (see photo), and getting the cover on and off can be a bit of a chore.
Then I found the "portable garage" (Shelter Logic), which is not all that much more expensive than a good car cover, and getting the car in and out requires only zipping open the "door." (See photo showing mid-assembly and completed.) I drilled a hole in the side of my garage for the Battery Tender cord, so the car is readily available when I need or want it during the storage season. Lights and shelves are available.
I put the SC in there (much more convenient than driving to a storage locker place) in Mid-December, and just got it out last week. This involved unzipping the door, unplugging the Battery Tender, and backing out.
Not everybody has the land configuration to take advantage of this solution, but it is working well for me and my friend, who keeps his Miata in his all the time. Highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)-sc-in-snow.jpg   SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)-winter-storage.jpg  
Old 03-24-14, 08:46 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Cool idea. Actualy I live in Irondequoit NY, right on the shore of Lake Ontario and we get over 100" of snow a year. Do you think your temporary garage could stand up to that load?
Old 03-24-14, 10:01 AM
tfischer

Received 217 Likes on 161 Posts

I think so; it's very strong and well made. You want to be sure it's anchored to the ground well so it does not lift up in the wind. I was able to anchor one side into the garage wall itself; the other side used the standard ground anchors supplied with the kit.
Check out the specs at the Shelter Logic web pages.
With that kind of a snow load, you might want to upgrade to a heavier vinyl than standard, and be sure to stick with a rounded top. After examining my friend's garage, I moved to the dark green from the standard grey, and moved up one thickness on the covers.
PS: It's called "temporary" for zoning reasons. With no concrete pad and with the ability to be disassembled quickly, it's not a "structure" under most zoning codes, so you can put it anywhere you want. With just the frame up, we decided to move it back a few feet from the edge of my garage to make it less conspicuous (the green helps there, also). It's very dry inside, but I added the "vents" after seeing all the condensation that formed inside and dripped onto the car.
It's better than my car cover because nothing is rubbing the finish of the car and I can get the car in and out during the winter in 60 seconds. I'm fortunate to have a good space for it; the RX, only about 8" longer than the SC, fits in there also, and I've done that from time to time.

Last edited by tfischer; 03-25-14 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Removed references to Syracuse winning NCAA Tournament.
Old 03-25-14, 01:45 PM
bhop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Moonstruck.....my wife grew up in Irondequoit....her mother still lives there...winter is very long in Rochester NY..!
Old 03-26-14, 06:24 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Yes winter is long in Rochester, but we go to Nalpes FL for the months of February and March. getting ready to start back north on Monday. We sail on Lake Ontario and that is the best ever. Paul
Old 11-28-16, 07:41 AM
ruger
Rookie

Default Winter storage and battery life

I have a very low mile 2004 SC that Im going to store for a Chicago winter in my garage...I have put it on a tarp covered with a cheap carpit..Plan to move it very now and then ,to help preserve the new RF tires...Filled with high test gas with stablizer added. Got a cover from Cosco's...My question is on the battery life. as the battery is new but after setting six weeks would not start the car....Put a small 2 amp trickle charger for about 45 mins and it started My question how to keep the new battery in good condition over winter,tell about April..Cant drive it do to no libility insurance tell back on in spring...Looking for info on the best way forward....Please reply as this is my first winter storage on this fine car......PLEASE REPLY....

Quick Reply: SC430 Storage / Winter Storage Master Thread (merged)