SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Changing out wood in SC430

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 07:57 AM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing out wood in SC430

I'm thinking of getting an SC430, it MUST have tan (ecru) interior, but I hate the yellow wood in the 02-03 SC430s.

How hard would it be to change out the wood to the same color used in the bclack interior SCs?

Anyone done it or have pics?
Old 10-24-05, 08:04 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Don't have the exact figures, but I think it's going to be expensive to do that, & I suppose you're looking for a used SC430.The new 2006 has ecru with walnut, which IMO does not look as good as the ecru with golden bird's eye maple combination.
Old 10-24-05, 08:17 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02: I own an `04 SC430 Millenium Silver/Ecru/Birdseye. Before that, I owned an `02 with the exact same combinations. I was in awe the first time I saw the Ecru/Birdseye. I had never seen a light-coloured wood paired with an ecru leather before and I thought it looked perfect with such a unique car. I still like the way it looks with the car!
Old 10-24-05, 08:43 AM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

I personally asked that to the master tech at the dealership and he told me that possible, YES, just that it would cost you an arm and a leg to do so.. for instance, they can't order the smaller wood pieces by themselves on the big parts , i.e. you would have to buy the whole door panel with the wood color you want and then exchange them and so on.. btw this is assuming you want to get a different color from the oem ones, the other option would be to die the current pieces
Old 10-24-05, 08:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Skulinex
. . . YES, just that it would cost you an arm and a leg to do so.. for instance, they can't order the smaller wood pieces by themselves on the big parts , i.e. you would have to buy the whole door panel with the wood color you want and then exchange them and so on..
plus the steering wheel too.
Old 10-24-05, 10:15 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by braheem
I'm thinking of getting an SC430, it MUST have tan (ecru) interior, but I hate the yellow wood in the 02-03 SC430s.

How hard would it be to change out the wood to the same color used in the bclack interior SCs?

Anyone done it or have pics?
don't know if you know but the yellow wood is no longer available for 06+ SC. So if you are getting a new one, you won't have to worry about it. BTW, I LOVE the ecru/yellow wood combo!!
Old 10-24-05, 10:35 AM
imbuggin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket

there are a bunch of after market companies that offer replacement wood and carbon fibor. It was not that expensive. The labor to put it in I have no idea. Search yahoo,google and ebay for replacement wood trim kits
Old 10-24-05, 01:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
don't know if you know but the yellow wood is no longer available for 06+ SC. So if you are getting a new one, you won't have to worry about it. BTW, I LOVE the ecru/yellow wood combo!!
yup, good point, just get an 06 and problem solved

and you can pretty much forget about replacing the wood. the sc430 has TONS of wood pieces in it, and from dealership, you don't even want to know the price tag. and it's not easy to remove them for re-do as well
Old 10-24-05, 03:13 PM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What about when people get the blackwood mod done on thier car, it's the same thing just different wood wither one would make me hapier then the yellow, I'm trying to tone down the 3-tone look (black dash, silver electronics, ecru interior) it's a weird combination and in my opinion only looks good on a car which is Black on Black, it eliminated the 3rd tone by matching the dash to the paint and leather, but i have a black on black GS400 and I'm getting tired of the morbid interior.
Old 10-24-05, 04:55 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would agree, that yellow wood is not for me. My significant other feels the same way so tan was out. Picked up black/burl combo and could not be happier.
The nav door wood be the tough one IMO. Not sure if it screws onto the door or if adhesive is involved. I actually thought the same thing and figured why bother.
Old 10-24-05, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by braheem
What about when people get the blackwood mod done on thier car, it's the same thing just different wood wither one would make me hapier then the yellow, I'm trying to tone down the 3-tone look (black dash, silver electronics, ecru interior) it's a weird combination and in my opinion only looks good on a car which is Black on Black, it eliminated the 3rd tone by matching the dash to the paint and leather, but i have a black on black GS400 and I'm getting tired of the morbid interior.
the blackwood on the gs (for example) are a lot easier, less pieces and easier to remove

just the radio door and the nav door on the sc430 are already very hard to deal with
Old 10-25-05, 05:21 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

My 05 was white on ecru and the golden wood made it look exotic. I went to pick up an 06 last week with the walnut. Allthough I got used to the walnut for the few minutes I had the car, it looks alot more reserved. I would take the golden wood back in a heart beat.

I don't think you can dye them either. You would have to sand them down and that is un heard of.
Old 10-25-05, 08:07 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by camillian
My 05 was white on ecru and the golden wood made it look exotic. I went to pick up an 06 last week with the walnut. Allthough I got used to the walnut for the few minutes I had the car, it looks alot more reserved. I would take the golden wood back in a heart beat.
You have traded your 05 for a 06 already ?
Old 10-25-05, 01:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by AmethySC
paint problems on his front hood and bumper. you forgot the thread already?
Old 10-25-05, 01:23 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Well I guess you can say that, but not technically. If you recall my 05 that came from Vancouver was painted, it was damaged on the dock in Vancouver and for some odd reason wasn't documented. My dealer took it back and replaced it with an 06. I discovered that the 06 had its rear trunk painted the day i went to pick it up. However poorly this one was done it was done at the factory. So it is still considered original paint. Therefore no documentation needed. Anyway I should be getting my third sc in a few months later this week.

Quick Reply: Changing out wood in SC430