SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

M3 or SC430? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-05, 12:54 PM
droptopguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking M3 or SC430? HELP

I have an 2003 ES 330 and a BMW 3 series conv. i am planning on selling the 3 series and either get an SC430 or a M3 conv. I can't make up my mind and its driving me crazy!
I have test drove the BMW z4 and loved it. but it is just not practical ( only has 2 seats) I know the lexus backseats are a joke but I don't need to put people back there. only a tennis bag or random stuff. The M3 is definately more performance oriented but the SC isn't too much lacking in that aspect. I also would like a change and the M3 looks quite like the rest of the 3 series fleet. The lexus is absolutely gorgeous. I am leaning more towards the Lexus but would like to know about any advice or experience you guys have to offer. Thanks
Old 11-06-05, 01:12 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tuff choice... depends on what your looking to accomplish. The M3 is a pure sports car with driver feel being the key, the SC430 is luxury sport with comfort, sport, and reliability being the key.
Old 11-06-05, 01:26 PM
droptopguy
Driver School Candidate

I know, It is a tuff choice. but I am thinking the lexus has more to offer while the bmw has only one major aspect over the SC. I also like the way the lexus feels. I love the feel of a 2 seater and with the lexus backseats being the way they are, well it kinda gives you that feel. : )
My BMW I have now has no problem with traction on wet roads or any conditions for that matter, I can push the pedal to the floor without spinning out while my ES 330 takes a little while to get going. I am wondering wether the SC will be much better than my ES. Being a sportier car I am sure the SC would be better but to what extent?
Old 11-06-05, 02:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This has been asked just recentlly. Here is the link with input on this subject matter.
Lee
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178890
Old 11-06-05, 02:47 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by droptopguy
I know, It is a tuff choice. but I am thinking the lexus has more to offer while the bmw has only one major aspect over the SC. I also like the way the lexus feels. I love the feel of a 2 seater and with the lexus backseats being the way they are, well it kinda gives you that feel. : )
My BMW I have now has no problem with traction on wet roads or any conditions for that matter, I can push the pedal to the floor without spinning out while my ES 330 takes a little while to get going. I am wondering wether the SC will be much better than my ES. Being a sportier car I am sure the SC would be better but to what extent?
The SC is going to give you MUCH MUCH better acceleration than your ES. The ES330 0-60 is in the mid 7 second range, the SC430 is in the low 6's. This is a HUGE difference.

Here is a test to take:
Rank 1-10 based on the importance to you. This will give everyone on here a better understanding of what you're looking for.

-Warranty-
-Reliability-
-Acceleration/Handling/Performance
-Luxury-
-Comfort-
-Features-
-Sale Price-
-Resale Value-
-Looks-
-Fuel Economy-
Old 11-06-05, 03:26 PM
droptopguy
Driver School Candidate

1. looks
2. features
3. comfort
4. accelleration handling performance ( I can always fix up my lexus. add a few horses here and there )
5. luxury
6. reliability
7. fuel economy
8. warranty
9. resale value
10. sale price

by the way- I am 6 foot 2.....will fitting in the car (comfortably) be a problem fo me? Sometimes a test drive just isn't enough to really tell.
Old 11-06-05, 03:33 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

1. looks
2. features
3. comfort
4. accelleration handling performance ( I can always fix up my lexus. add a few horses here and there )
5. luxury
6. reliability
7. fuel economy
8. warranty
9. resale value
10. sale price

by the way- I am 6 foot 2.....will fitting in the car (comfortably) be a problem fo me? Sometimes a test drive just isn't enough to really tell.

I don't think either car is going to give you much of a problem with leg room. If you were 6'5 that might be a different story.

I would say get the SC430 based on the order of importance. Is reliability really that far down the list?
Old 11-06-05, 04:05 PM
droptopguy
Driver School Candidate

I didn't think I really had to worry about reliability either way I went. : )
1. Has there been any problems with the top on the SC?
I had to have my bmw top relaced just recently. (reLaced not rePlaced)
2. also, how will handling compare to the sc?
thanks for all the help I am new to this site and am very refreshed by how much help is being offered to me. This is a wonderful resource.
Old 11-06-05, 04:46 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I didn't think I really had to worry about reliability either way I went. : )
1. Has there been any problems with the top on the SC?
I had to have my bmw top relaced just recently. (reLaced not rePlaced)
2. also, how will handling compare to the sc?
thanks for all the help I am new to this site and am very refreshed by how much help is being offered to me. This is a wonderful resource.

Welcome to CL!

Anyhow, to answer your first quesiton, Lexus has been #1 in long term and short term reliability with the fewest problems of any car made for the last 13 years! Many BMWs have been known for minor and major problems. I haven't heard of any complaints with the SC430 top because of the fact it is a hardtop.

2. The handling of the M3 will be FAR better than the SC430, butt the ride of the SC will be FAR SMOOTHER than the BMW. The M3 SMG edition that I almost bought was VERY VERY stiff and not plesant on the rear. The SC has buttersoft leather and is made to give you the sport luxury feel when driving.
Old 11-06-05, 04:58 PM
LexusDaisy
Rookie

Default Less hassle

The M3 will need more attention from the dealer both because you likely will tear up more stuff especially if manual clutch, and the M3 is not nearly as reliable as the Lex. Do your self a favor and drive the Lex rather than work on the M3.
Old 11-06-05, 05:09 PM
Coffey454
Rookie

Because you rank "looks" as your top priority - Go with the SC. Looks are subjective and I can tell you really love the looks of both of these cars. Buying the M3 vert for it's looks is just wrong - it has too much merit as a hardcore sports car and had made compromises in comfort to make it such a monster. Reliability for the E46 M3 is not stellar, many BMW enthusiasts choose a 330ci with the //M Package over it for this reason.

The SC is a beautiful, perfectly constructed, bullet-proof yet cushy piece art. This design, although not favoured by all, will prove to be in the same class as the 1960's Lincoln Continentals as industrial art that looks better with time.

Buying a Lexus is never a bad idea.
Old 11-06-05, 05:58 PM
pearls
Driver School Candidate

I just returned my 2004 M3. Its not exactly a tough choice in which car you should choose, because the M3 and the SC 430 are two completely different cars, and it just depends what you're looking for. I had enough of sports cars, and wanted something totally the opposite. The main criteria this time luxury. Something beautiful inside and out, and the engine being smooth and quiet. The SC 430 was exactly all this. I've sat in lots of beautiful cars, and still, nothing beats or compares to the beauty and quality finish of Lexus...particularily the SC.
The M3 was an amazing car as well. But I found it very difficult to drive the M3 slow. Its not a car you just take it easy and cruise around. At least, it wasn't for me. Its was like a track car in every sense. It always wanted to go fast. And the only way I managed to change my 6 gears butter smooth was when I was stomping on the gas! But then came the constant stress of cops, pedestrians, watching out for road bumps( I had 19" ). The M3 was exhilarating, but I don't know. I got tired of it, and found it very stressful. My SC430 I just picked last week....its just one smooth machine. It makes me feel very relaxed and stress-free.

Its like comparing apples and oranges, the M3 and the SC 430. But the new M3 should be out in 2007/2008. If you get the E46 now now, it'll be an old car in a few years. There are already pics of the new M3 Something to also think about.

Nothing looks like a SC 430. But a M3, though I owned one..still, I always thought it was just a hyped up 3 series. And in Vancouver, the BMW 3 series are more common than cheap Honda Civics.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-06-05, 06:37 PM
droptopguy
Driver School Candidate

Thank you all! You guys are the greatest!
I would like to restate question 2:
How will handling compare with my bmw 1999 323 convertible with that of the sc430?
Also: 1. I am guessing that the sc will perform better with accelleration (with the given extra horsepower)
2. I am wondering about cornering...will I have to slow down a bit...( tear..sigh )
Old 11-06-05, 11:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

seriously, stock wise the handling of the sc430 is pretty floaty, it's not really good for handling at all

but put on some coilovers and the daizen sways and the sc430 can hang with the 323 or 325 easy.

but of course, if you talk about pure performance (speed or handling or braking), the m3 is way ahead of the sc430, but sc430 has a lot more class, luxury, comfort, and quietness in it
Old 11-07-05, 03:19 PM
droptopguy
Driver School Candidate

Awesome, I appreciate your help! How much would you think that would run me for both? or can you give me a good site with the parts? thanks again

Quick Reply: M3 or SC430? HELP