SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navigation while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 08:42 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveLS430
BT430, Try holding override for 3 secs or more even though it is not selectable. My wife just informed me that the setting doesn't hold though. When she got back in the car after it was turned off, she could not navigate while driving. Well atleast I know I can do it when I want!
So you have to go to the menu every time u get in the car if u want to use your navi?
Old 11-14-05, 08:55 AM
tfischer

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

No. That's not at all what he said.

He would only have to go into that menu if he wanted to use those features of the Nav System that are unavialable while the car is in motion.

In the past 3 or 4 years I have only wanted to do that 2 or three times. Given that "Home" and page 1 of "Recent Destinations" are available while moving, this is not a great big deal.

Besides, entering addresses and doing all the other things that are made available by this hidden menu option are best done by a passenger, not the driver, and it has always seemed to me that it is a shame that a passenger cannot access the full set of features of the system. Since this would be someting, I hope, that would be mostly used by passengers, and not used all that often (longer trips, I would think), it's not that big a deal for the passenger to access the hidden menu to open up the features to change while in motion.

Which is easy for me to say, since my '02 does not reset itself.

And I am tired of that splash screen.

Where were we?
Old 11-14-05, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
So you have to go to the menu every time u get in the car if u want to use your navi?
NO car will hold these settings at all. you ALWAYS have to re-do the whole procedure every time you start the car. as soon as the car shuts off, the feature is gone. this is a dianostic page, you are not supposed to know it anyway.
Old 11-14-05, 11:58 AM
tfischer

Default Yep.

He's right.

I just checked my '02 Nav System which I adjusted over the weekend in accordance with the instructions listed above and, sure enough, it reset itself.

As noted above, I don't think this is a big deal, but it's nice to know.

Also, be aware that access to the System Option page, which is the first step, is not available while the car is in motion, so the change has to be made before you start moving. Once you are on the expressway, you are not going to be able to make this change.
Old 11-14-05, 01:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, basically you have to do it when the car is not moving. you can do it at the stoplight, but the car has to be stopped.

to me it's not a big deal neither. just a quick 10 secs process
Old 11-15-05, 09:00 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

for different aftermarket navigation systems this feature is usually enabled by the grounding of a wire or the use of a switch, do you think this could be done with the SC also? Who makes the navi for the sc? I know for pioneer systems its just a grounding of a wire.
Old 11-15-05, 11:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for different aftermarket navigation systems this feature is usually enabled by the grounding of a wire or the use of a switch, do you think this could be done with the SC also? Who makes the navi for the sc? I know for pioneer systems its just a grounding of a wire.
i believe it's from pioneer. but you can't gnd a wire. you need to temporarily disable the speed sensor and it will allow you adjust the nav, but you need to swith it back on again so it can calculate your position. so you need a switch if you wanna do that

imho i would rather do these tricks before i drive my car rather than pulling out the nav unit (need to empty the trunk) and cut wires
Old 11-15-05, 12:50 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Ok this doesnt sound too bad to me. Pioneer for the most part make it easy with their navi's usually a ground. If it was an alpine it would require more work. This is all speculation what if there is a speed sensor involved it usually means that some wire is coming out and putting out some kind of voltage signaling that its in use and a ground when its not moving. Or it could be a little more complicated where 0 speed is at some constant voltage. Or they use a relay to the navi. I would guess either the first or second choice. If we could get a wire diagram of the navi then we could figure out what wire feeds into the navi to allow it then check the voltage of it to see if its being grounded or being sent a certain voltage. In either case we could either ground that wire or use a resistor to send it the right voltage. Who knows the speed sensor could be a different input into the navi. The navi could have one wire to allow input while driving and another input for speed. We will never know unless we look at the wire diagram. Whoever has a buncha time for their weekend confirm this
Old 11-15-05, 01:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

trust me, i already know the diagrams

all you need is to access the nav unit in the trunk, one of the wire is the speed sensor. need to cut that and put a switch on and you are good to go thank god it's not voltage sensing, i guess it's just a zero or not speed sensor
Old 11-15-05, 01:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a wiring diagram coming in the mail and will locate that wire. Same thing in the GS400 as well. One wire, snip, switch, and presto.
Lee
Old 11-15-05, 01:36 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
trust me, i already know the diagrams

all you need is to access the nav unit in the trunk, one of the wire is the speed sensor. need to cut that and put a switch on and you are good to go thank god it's not voltage sensing, i guess it's just a zero or not speed sensor
ohh so theres a switch to see weather or not to check the speed sensor. So how often does gps update?
Old 11-15-05, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ohh so theres a switch to see weather or not to check the speed sensor. So how often does gps update?
nono, there is no switch to see whether check or not check, but i was saying you can add a switch to disable the speed sensor so the unit *thinks* the car isn't moving and allow you to adjust the nav.
Old 11-16-05, 06:23 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the nav display should swivel to the right slightly. When in that position it could be used on the fly, since the driver wouldn't be able to see the screen in that position. Only a passenger could adjust or enter in destinations. That should make it a better system, and still satisfy Lexus' picky attorneys as well. Just a thought.
Old 11-16-05, 06:35 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Haha that would **** me off, I like to watch DVD's while driving long road trips
Old 11-16-05, 06:37 AM
tfischer

Someone noted: "I like to watch DVD's while driving long road trips."

Jeez. I like to take naps while driving long road trips, but I don't think it's wise.

Quick Reply: Navigation while driving