SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wheels Sensor Information/PICS -SC430

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-05, 06:15 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When they first put them on my wheels, the sensor came loose from under the band and the adhesive gave way and the sensor was spinning around inside the tire. It was an easy fix. The sensor was flush down inside the lowest part of the wheel, so I didn't think it would harm the sensor if I had a flat, since the edges of the rim would protect the sensor. I was using this setup without the run crap tires, so I could understand how it could possibly damage the sensor then. The stem was not on the sensors for this app. That's the reason why we went this direction because the hole in the HREs was not compatible with that stem. The Lexus dealership had no problem with that setup. No wheel shop was involved. Has HRE and others finally changed there wheels to be compatible with TPS of different types yet?? I thought the systems that use the ABS system to measure wheel RPMs was a much more logical way to go. No sensors in the tires whatsoever. I think someone at the NHTSA has a relative in the wheel sensor manufacturing business, because they were not too positive about the ABS type systems. Take care.
Old 11-16-05, 06:52 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc C
When they first put them on my wheels, the sensor came loose from under the band and the adhesive gave way and the sensor was spinning around inside the tire. It was an easy fix. The sensor was flush down inside the lowest part of the wheel, so I didn't think it would harm the sensor if I had a flat, since the edges of the rim would protect the sensor. I was using this setup without the run crap tires, so I could understand how it could possibly damage the sensor then. The stem was not on the sensors for this app. That's the reason why we went this direction because the hole in the HREs was not compatible with that stem. The Lexus dealership had no problem with that setup. No wheel shop was involved. Has HRE and others finally changed there wheels to be compatible with TPS of different types yet?? I thought the systems that use the ABS system to measure wheel RPMs was a much more logical way to go. No sensors in the tires whatsoever. I think someone at the NHTSA has a relative in the wheel sensor manufacturing business, because they were not too positive about the ABS type systems. Take care.
So as long as you affix the sensor, either glue, band anything as long as it sticks. Then your fine. You dont need to use the valve stem at all just have the sensor inside the tire and your good to go?
Old 11-16-05, 09:17 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Makes sense as it appears that the tiny hole on the back of the sensor is where it reads the pressure so just mounting the sensor inside the tire without the stem and using the wheels stem should work though best care scenerio is to mount it with the sensor stem as no band or adhesive is required.
Lee
Old 11-16-05, 10:13 AM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Makes sense as it appears that the tiny hole on the back of the sensor is where it reads the pressure so just mounting the sensor inside the tire without the stem and using the wheels stem should work though best care scenerio is to mount it with the sensor stem as no band or adhesive is required.
Lee
Absolutely. But, for wheels that won't work with the stem, it's a decent alternative. It would be nice for the industry to standardize things so all sensors worked with all wheels etc. Doubt that will happen anytime soon!!!
Old 11-16-05, 10:16 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely good information in this post about these sensors. Doc-your information really doe open things up for a few people. Thanks
Lee
Old 11-16-05, 04:49 PM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This may have been touched on but when the Lexus dealer tried to steer me towards TRD wheels they mentioned the weight offset in the wheel to counter balance the TPS unit.

I am sure external weights would do the same thing but they did stress the point.
Old 11-16-05, 06:50 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

Hmmm.. I've never heard anything like that before. So, then TRD makes two different types of wheels? One for TPS and one for non-TPS?? You would still have to have weights wouldn't you, because once you put tires on, they will need to be balanced? It seems odd that a wheel company would do that when the weights still need to be present for the tires. I'm probably wrong, but that sounds fishy to me.
Old 11-17-05, 04:07 PM
MNPine

From the Lexus Web Site

The TRD wheel is specifically designed for the SC430. The wheel is hub-centric and is counter-weighted to offset the air pressure sensor used in each OE wheel.
Old 11-17-05, 10:44 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

I didn't know they offered TRD wheels on the Lexus website?? That's good. I wouldn't think they would offer Toyota anything on the Lexus website. If you like the TRD wheels, get them. It still seems ridiculous that they would worry about counterbalancing the sensor in the wheel, when everything would be balanced once the tire was put on anyway. Are they a forged wheel? I wouldn't give a rat's *** if they had a counterbalance for the sensor, if they ended up weighing more than, or similar to, the ugly OEM wheels. Seems like HRE and other premium wheel manufacturers have got along just fine without this. My friend was looking at a new GS. The dealer wanted close to $5,000 extra for chrome OEM wheels. That's so stupid!!!! You can get some amazing wheels for much less than that. If your dealer is asking a huge markuup, I'd stay away from that deal.
Old 11-18-05, 01:11 PM
MNPine

did not want to mislead you but here is the web site.

http://www.lexus-parts.com/prodlist.asp?ModelID=109
Old 11-18-05, 05:04 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=MNPine]From the Lexus Web Site

OOOOHHHH. It's from the DEALERSHIP's website. Well hell yeah. The wheel's are probably filled with Helium too to make them lighter. That "hub-centric" thing is good too. Don't want the wheels that are "not-so-hub-centric"!!! I'm just messing with you. I'd get the wheels you want, and not worry about the amazing counterbalanced wheels. The TRDs look nice. I've seen several SCs with them. Anything's better than the pie plates that were on the SCs originally.

Just don't let them sell you the optional seatbelt package made with real saskatchewan sealskin bindings!!!
Old 11-19-05, 05:58 AM
MNPine

[QUOTE=Doc C

Just don't let them sell you the optional seatbelt package made with real saskatchewan sealskin bindings!!! [/QUOTE]

If this had been offered then I would have probably already closed the deal.

The TRDs are not at the top of my list but I do want the TPS system to continue to work. I suspect I will stay with the runflats. I have gotten use to them on my past ride and the SC430.
Old 11-19-05, 09:22 AM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Do any aftermarket sensors work with the Lexus system.Lexus wants too much for a second set for my summer wheels.I'm not even sure if the Lexus setup would even work trough the valve stem holes.
Old 11-24-05, 08:44 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Lee, let us know if you find those batteries... and where. And do you move the little 'arm' to the side to pull the battery, lift it, or what?
Oh, and do you have to epoxy the new battery like it was before? With what kind of epoxy?
Thanks man.
Old 02-16-06, 06:37 AM
clubaddict
Driver

any news on the DXC TPS adapter/mount to work with aftermarket wheels?
this whole wheel sensor issue is why im a lil hesitant in changing out the stock wheels...

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
I have seen this in person and on one aftermarket wheels we tried to fit. There were two issues.

First: the valve stem hole on the aftermarket is too small for the TPS (so the holes on the wheels require re-drilled -- do not attempt to do this because if a well known local wheels manufacturer (i will reserve the name and the experience) ask its customer to do it himself after he is custom ordering a set of wheel from them (yes, you wonder how custom the wheel is if the customer again need to customize the valve stem hole just to fit TPS), then I wouldn't want to do it myself)

Second: Most TPS has a slight angle to it. To fit an aftermarket wheel the valve stem on the TPS needs to be 90 degree to the base (where the sensor is) in order to stick on the wheel to avoid damage to those pricy sensor when you have a flat tire. So with most of our JDM wheels that have typical L shape valve stem we are screwed.

DXC is currently developing something to cure this. I hope he has answer for us soon....

Quick Reply: Wheels Sensor Information/PICS -SC430