Wheels Sensor Information/PICS -SC430

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-06, 05:45 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
exactly as i suspected!!

Lisa, I got your PM I will reply you shortly.

Here is another warning for people trying to have wheels/tires shop do your TPS. A honest and competent shop will tell you straight up that with the current TPS design unless the wheels valve hole design and the barrel can retained the TP unit, it is impossible to have TPS mounted and secured the way that it supposed to work. This (the picture shown by lisa) is the typical route (lazy route and for sure will damage your TP unit) that most of the shop will do. If someone ever mentioned to you about using a band or anything funky or I should said fxxky way to have it mounted, you should just walk away.....

thats rediculous how they installed those TPS sensors. Thats the most retarded solution ever. Gxotic I dont think that "it is impossible to have TPS mounted and secured the way that it is suposed to work" I think the metal bands along with some other type of adhesive would work just fine. There have been others on the forums that use the bands along with adhesive, even done at a lexus dealership and have no problems. Obviously shops like the one lisa went to is incompetent but there are some high quality shops that do a good job of securing the TPS sensor inside an aftermarket rim. All the TPS sensor does is monitor Tire pressure, the valve step is just a method in which they use to mount the sensor but I think the metal bands are a feasable alternative if done correctly.
Old 02-17-06, 08:01 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i thought you said you did the sequence to turn off the system or something? from what i read, on the new IS, you can turn off the tps sensors?

not the case for sc430, we need to physically unplug them, if anything
i did not know there was some method of shutting of the warning light. can you direct me to the thread that describe the technique of disabling the light? what ever i did may be a fluke.
thanks
Old 02-17-06, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
thats rediculous how they installed those TPS sensors. Thats the most retarded solution ever. Gxotic I dont think that "it is impossible to have TPS mounted and secured the way that it is suposed to work" I think the metal bands along with some other type of adhesive would work just fine. There have been others on the forums that use the bands along with adhesive, even done at a lexus dealership and have no problems. Obviously shops like the one lisa went to is incompetent but there are some high quality shops that do a good job of securing the TPS sensor inside an aftermarket rim. All the TPS sensor does is monitor Tire pressure, the valve step is just a method in which they use to mount the sensor but I think the metal bands are a feasable alternative if done correctly.
well then explain to me. the lexus oem wheels, the tps is connected to the valve stem, which is just straight. however on A LOT OF afermarket wheels, the valvestems are L shape, from the center of the wheel, come out, 90 degree, and then come out to the front face of the wheel.

now with the oem tps, how can you FIT it in that hole (regardless of any band or adhesive) and have it FLUSH with the surface of the wheel? that's just impossible. right now in lisa's car, the tps are almost like straight upside down, make it very close to the surface of the tire. if she hits anything, the tire will compress, guess what's going to crush.

Originally Posted by onihc
i did not know there was some method of shutting of the warning light. can you direct me to the thread that describe the technique of disabling the light? what ever i did may be a fluke.
thanks
ummm..... i am not 100% familiar with the new IS, but try to search in the new IS forum or make a post and ask about that. i got an impression reading that before?
Old 02-17-06, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

take a look at the pics in the beginning of this thread and understand how the tps works and fit on the wheels. unless your valve stem holes are on the side of the wheel to begin with already, that means your tps is now upside down. no matter what metal band you get, it's not going to help jack when you hit something

Last edited by rominl; 02-17-06 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-17-06, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by onihc
thanks
and here you go the thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+tire+pressure
Old 02-17-06, 09:24 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tony,

I am not trying to argue your point. I have research this issue for an extensive period of time and even visit several shops and that is why I found out all these so call "solutions" to make the TPS work. The reason those bands don't sell on me are the following:

1st. - I have seen and heard people have trouble with those "band". Either they came off after a while or they are not probably done to later on cause TP unit to position loosely (which we all know is disaster waiting to be happened)

2nd. Even if you use the band, it still doesn't address the "L" shape stem that was intended for aftermarket wheel. After spending $3K or $4K for a set of nice wheels only to see a valve stem hole readily visible without a valve stem in the proper place??? I mind as well just keep my stock to have a complete look.

3rd. I have yet to see a proper positioned TP unit that can provide me a peace of mind. After all, I only want Air and TPS inside my tires. Not some additional foreign objects.

Lastly, to me it is never "DONE CORRECTLY" if you need to use other alternative means to make something work. It might be an "easy solution" or "temp. solution" to get around it. i.e. People use black tape to cover the dash warning light - an easy cheap solution but the fact is the warning light (issue) is still there. that is why I never bother to use the tape.

Again, this is just strickly MY OPINION.
Old 02-17-06, 09:50 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

theres nothing better than OEM fitment. I am not arguing that, I am just saying a properly fitted band along with some adhesive should work fine. I have an extra set of TPS sesnsors that I bought just to mount in aftermarket rims. I believe with some 3m double sided tape on the band and on the TPS sensor it should be sufficient for them to stay in place. Its just my opinion. Others have stated using the band and have had no problem at all while others say it doesnt work. I am just saying if you go to an experienced shop I am sure they can make it work for you if thats what you really want.
Old 02-17-06, 09:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Bands/belts not a perfect solution, but . . .

I' ve had the sensors with bands around the HRE wheels on my G35 coupe for 2 years now, & it's working fine so far, I won't take them off until I run into problems
Old 02-17-06, 01:50 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm, seems like no one read my arguements above? who can possibly give me a good explanation on the tps standing straight up then? it definitely makes it much easier to be damaged when you hit something (could be mild) on the road. imho the bands and othe reasons aside, this is already one HUGE reason not to do it
Old 02-17-06, 02:02 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

points well taken tony. yeah, if u really need to have the tps on a aftermarket wheel, i guess this is what you have to do. I apologize if my statements above offend anyone. Basically, what I tried to do is prevent what happen to lisa is not happening to anyone else here. Many shops just want to get your money and since they are not working on their own car some of them would careless about the potential issue that arrives later.

Henry, you are right. Funny that when i visited WW that time, a G35 owner returned to WW complaint about the TPS malfunction. Reason? TPS was standing straight up! and a speed bump or just merely going up to the driveway of his house damage the TPS due to the low profile tires.
Old 02-17-06, 02:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
points well taken tony. yeah, if u really need to have the tps on a aftermarket wheel, i guess this is what you have to do. I apologize if my statements above offend anyone. Basically, what I tried to do is prevent what happen to lisa is not happening to anyone else here. Many shops just want to get your money and since they are not working on their own car some of them would careless about the potential issue that arrives later.

Henry, you are right. Funny that when i visited WW that time, a G35 owner returned to WW complaint about the TPS malfunction. Reason? TPS was standing straight up! and a speed bump or just merely going up to the driveway of his house damage the TPS due to the low profile tires.
hahaha well, i guess i have my point proven already. in this case, i don't really know how important the band is
Old 02-17-06, 04:01 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, seems like no one read my arguements above? who can possibly give me a good explanation on the tps standing straight up then? it definitely makes it much easier to be damaged when you hit something (could be mild) on the road. imho the bands and othe reasons aside, this is already one HUGE reason not to do it
no one can give a good explaination for the TPS standing up its just rediculous. Whoever did that is obviously retarded.

The band allows for you to mount the TPS sensor inside the rim flat, and if you use some adhesive I really think it would hold quite well.

my opinion is that if you have some rims worth 4g's using some $200 TPS that are installed well might be worth the risk. There is always a chance that they will break but I think the rims are worth it. If you get a flat tire on those low profiles its often very hard to tell the difference of it being flat or not and damaging the rim on a flat tire is a very common problem.

Though bands arent the best idea there are some people who have had success with them and right now there is really no other option, thats all I am saying.
Old 02-17-06, 04:39 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

my opinion is that if you have some rims worth 4g's using some $200 TPS that are installed well might be worth the risk. There is always a chance that they will break but I think the rims are worth it. If you get a flat tire on those low profiles its often very hard to tell the difference of it being flat or not and damaging the rim on a flat tire is a very common problem.
i hear you tony. this is true because the other day i thought i had a flat but after testing it ... still good 35lb.

I don't understand how come those big wheels manufacturers haven't come out with something to cure this!! what is going on with their R&D department?
Old 02-17-06, 07:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

no one can give a good explaination for the TPS standing up its just rediculous. Whoever did that is obviously retarded.

The band allows for you to mount the TPS sensor inside the rim flat, and if you use some adhesive I really think it would hold quite well.
I can't imagine the TPS not being flat with the bands, yes I know it can drop off if not done right or for some other reasons, but there is nothing wrong with wanting the sensors with aftermarket wheels for the reasons stated.
To me , when you modify a car, you are always taking some risks to a certain extent. People can risk scraping their bottom of their cars/bodykits with lowering, which means possible expense for repainting/repair. There are other examples etc.
So what if you damage one of your sensors, just replace it with another one.
Old 02-17-06, 07:34 PM
Cruizing
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the original sensor valve stem is sticking out of the centre part of the wheel as most aftermarket wheels then the sensor is standing on end and is a risk for damage. If the sensor is banded the valve stem that came with the wheel only is visible and the sensor is strapped to the low spot inside the wheel.

Look here to see how it is done.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1269381&forum_id=1

Quick Reply: Wheels Sensor Information/PICS -SC430