SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

06 Tail light install with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-10, 06:00 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I only show 6 pages on my end. Mine were the original install and then down a bit-the ECU install pics. All up now. Am I missing something?

Post #128 to be exact. It shows 14 pages on my end.
Old 12-26-10, 06:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

This is an awesome thread!

How much was the the set up from Carson's? Is it still available?

Anybody working on a group buy?
Old 12-26-10, 09:34 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

we've really beat this one to death...check in the vendor marketplace for any group buys

initially there was a group buy, I don't think Carson does it anymore but check their site:

http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=1991

I think they both come out to about the same.

Here's the Sewell link:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2004/4323.html

Group buys were initially in the $600ish range...some have gotten a little less, most pay around $600-$650 including tax.

You need to register to get the CL discount. I just bought mine about nine months ago....when you search you'll see some pretty elaborate write ups on DIY, prices, etc
Old 12-26-10, 08:09 PM
mandyfig

Was a bit late. Was trying to gather some new interest in a group buy.

We want the works, plug and play. About ~$1K with Sewell, with the discount.
Old 12-27-10, 08:52 AM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Was a bit late. Was trying to gather some new interest in a group buy.

We want the works, plug and play. About ~$1K with Sewell, with the discount.
Not worth it IMO. The amber bulb out is barely noticeable and it's awfully hard to justify the PITA to install the luggage compartment/tail light bulb ECU, the time etc for just the little amber light showing on your dash. I have never looked back and I'm super **** about my cars and very picky!

I'd do the $600 tails first...take a look at the ECU and what goes into the install and you may agree with me...one look at all the resistors that needed to be unplugged and re-plugged back in as well as the panels you need to remove to get into it and I was sold that the amber light is not worth $700!

If it does bother you, check out the DIY on deactivating the light altogether or covering with a black piece of electrical tape. Again, I am super **** and saw myself doing one of these mods, but never did because it doesn't bother me at all. I may do the tape one of these days, but by the time I get to it the bulb will probably burn out! LOL

good luck and post some pics if you do it
Old 12-27-10, 10:01 AM
mandyfig

So let me get this, for $600 I will have an LED tail, with plain amber signals and a bulb on in my dashboard. Does this $600 include the upper piece above the tail? The reason is I have one of the upper pieces cracked and want to replace it anyway. Was looking at ebay and can not find that piece so far.
Old 12-27-10, 10:52 AM
scdroptop

Yep, for $600 you get:

Two wiring harnesses
Two upper lens
Two lower lens
Two amber bulbs-which I strongly recommend you DON'T buy and buy these instead:

Chrome amber bulbs-will make your lens look much better all clear instead of clear with the orange bulb showing...look at earlier pages I posted pics of my car with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/992-C...Q5fAccessories

For $600ish you can get this kit, DIY for free in about 30 minutes to an hour depending on your skill level. Best practices: wax the lights and surrounding areas under the lights too for easier slide out/in and reduction of scratches. Don't pull on the panels hard or you'll break tabs.

After the transformation, you will have the amber "bulb out" indicator light on your dash that you can either live with (no biggie) or pay another $600+ for the luggage compartment ECU and install that. I was ready to pull the trigger until they brought it out and I saw all the transistors/fuses that needed to be pulled out and re-installed plus looked at the access to it and counted the number of panels/fasteners I'd risk breaking and aborted mission saved the $600 and moved on. Like I said before, I am super **** and picky about my cars and I really don't notice it. It's not like it's bright red and flashing or beeping at you. Your wiring harness is sending a false signal to the tail light/luggage ECU because of the LED harness/bulbs instead of the regular 7443 bulb which makes the indicator light go on. Many folks have covered it with a piece of black electrical tape and I believe someone else figured out how to unplug the bulb itself and another got a black sharpie and colored it in. Either way-it really doesn't bother me!

For $600 savings you can do these THREE mods instead: lexus aluminum pedals, DRL front LED lights and add Vais or Soundgate iPod integration!!! Maybe still have money left over if you jump on that Soundgate deal!

Old 12-27-10, 12:42 PM
mandyfig

I am in for the $600, who do I buy these from? Sewell, Carson? And thanks for the chrome amber bulbs.
Old 12-27-10, 12:46 PM
mandyfig

Time to call Darrell or Luis. Plus I have other stuff I need to get.
Old 12-28-10, 08:49 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

there's four screws holding your odometer assembly in. remove that and take out the bulbb
Old 12-29-10, 08:14 AM
mandyfig

I read someplace that the LED bulb was not removable hence they actually tape it up or put black markers on to hide it.

I am still on the fence spending $600+ for a set of new tails. Love it but can not justify it for now.

Secondly I may want to keep mine stock as is. These cars we have will be sought after pretty soon. There's not many out there. The older it is and more pristine and OEM it is might have some merit.

Last nite watched a movie Kabluey (bad movie) but an SC (prob a 2006, has LED tail) was featured. Made my day.
Old 12-29-10, 09:02 AM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I read someplace that the LED bulb was not removable hence they actually tape it up or put black markers on to hide it.

I am still on the fence spending $600+ for a set of new tails. Love it but can not justify it for now.

Secondly I may want to keep mine stock as is. These cars we have will be sought after pretty soon. There's not many out there. The older it is and more pristine and OEM it is might have some merit.

Last nite watched a movie Kabluey (bad movie) but an SC (prob a 2006, has LED tail) was featured. Made my day.
Wow! did not know a newer SC was featured in a movie...haven't seen any SC hollywood time since the earlier links we did on SC's and hollywood/stars and they were all 02-05 models. Interesting...

IMO rear tails are worth TWICE the investment. It changes the whole look of the rear. They are more rounded rather than flat and give the SC a more modern look especially with the chrome bulbs and when they light up. I was following a 2006+ the other day in Dallas and admired them (since I really don't get to see my own) and I fell in love with them all over again. But then just today I saw a white crystal gold 02-05 and thought the tails made it look so dated. Just my opinion...but black and white cars especially benefit from the rear tails because of the stark contrast in colors and the bright LED's
Attached Thumbnails 06 Tail light install with PICS-rqplthsw2mjxzblnka.jpg   06 Tail light install with PICS-_trc_sc430_tailights_led_01f.jpg   06 Tail light install with PICS-led-tails.jpg  
Old 12-29-10, 09:04 AM
mandyfig

Derek you will always get me in trouble!

Now that you have shown me a before and after, I will not resist!

Thanks for the side by side.

In fact the wifey says she likes the LED...a good signal?
Old 12-29-10, 09:11 AM
scdroptop

Strike while the irons hot! This one doesn't count towards the budget! If your wife knows about it and likes it then it doesn't count!
Old 12-29-10, 09:40 AM
mandyfig

But you gave me options (other than LEDS for $600) and now I am looking at them, like the AL Pedals, VAIS, etc. LOL!

Also I know I have suspension problems I will deal with. In fact just found out that one of my rear upper arms is busted and they can only be purchased as an assembly and the discounted price was $550, OUCH!

Based on what I have found out on the history of my SC, it has aftermarket wheels (probably 20's) put on them right off the bat. I can see where the hitmarks were from these wheels.

Wish I did not have this issue, but it is what it is. Just do not know what's it doing to my ride, I can bear the once in while thump (due to worn bushing) but do not know if this will affect my tires. Still have to bring to my mechanic.

I do need an alignment though, but will need to fix the upper arm 1st.

Quick Reply: 06 Tail light install with PICS