SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

06 Tail light install with PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-06, 05:05 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lee:

Your advice on the mods for this car are fantastic. Just did the tailight upgrade using your instructions and they work and lookk great. Also got the Ruff wheels from Stefan who has some nice things to say about you as well. Thanks for all your help.

Mitch
Old 02-05-06, 05:08 AM
sc430uk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lee is the man when it comes to mods
Old 02-05-06, 10:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mlbpbg
Lee:

Your advice on the mods for this car are fantastic. Just did the tailight upgrade using your instructions and they work and lookk great. Also got the Ruff wheels from Stefan who has some nice things to say about you as well. Thanks for all your help.

Mitch
you put in the ecu as well?
Old 02-05-06, 03:12 PM
sc430uk
Driver

yes the uk ecu works the same, i think the cars are the same just slight differences in the way they look
Old 02-05-06, 03:57 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mlbpbg
Lee:

Mitch
Glad to be of help. Post some pics for others to see. May persuade some here to jump aboard.

Funny as the other evening (night the windshield broke) an Avalanche pulled up next to me at the gas station and wanted to talk cars as he said he had a black one. He went on comment on how nice my 2006 SC was. I corrected him of course and told him of the lights.
Lee
Old 02-05-06, 04:47 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
he said he had a black one. He went on comment on how nice my 2006 SC was. I corrected him of course and told him of the lights.
Lee
Well, he knew enough to know that the taillights changed for the 06.
Old 02-05-06, 10:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Glad to be of help. Post some pics for others to see. May persuade some here to jump aboard.

Funny as the other evening (night the windshield broke) an Avalanche pulled up next to me at the gas station and wanted to talk cars as he said he had a black one. He went on comment on how nice my 2006 SC was. I corrected him of course and told him of the lights.
Lee
yeah, it's always good for us to stay "fresh" right? ;0
Old 02-06-06, 12:20 AM
Bebber
Rookie

Default what's the new voltage to the LEDs?

Hey Lee,

Great job with the step by step write-up. You are the man!

I'm a little skeptical that the LEDs would have gotten brighter with the new ECU setup. I'm skeptical because most LEDs (being the tiny semiconductor diodes that they are) run on much lower voltages (like +1.5V or +3.3V ) than the standard automotive (+12V to +14V) lamp voltages, meaning that Lexus would have to step down the voltages locally within the new LED taillight assemblies using either resistors in series or a more complicated circuit. The very fact that Lexus would be condiitioning the voltage locally suggests that it would be unlikely for them to further modify the SC430 wiring voltage for the 06 model to emit a higher voltage.

The way to test out this theory is to take a simple voltmeter and measure the voltage at the disconnected wiring harness of the tails using the new ECU and also using the old one to see if there is any variation. A simpler way to test it is just to compare the brightness of the LED tails side by side with one car that is using the 02-05 ECU and one car that is using the 06 ECU.

I say this just because I don't personally see the value of the ECU upgrade vs the taping of the dash "Lamp Out" LED (cost wise at least) unless there is a verifiable gain in brightness of the LED tails. I'm sure inquiring minds want to know.

-Josh EE, Viterbi school of engineering.

PS: Has anyone tried snipping the leads of the "Lamp Out" dash LED instead of covering it with tape?
Old 02-06-06, 05:09 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
you put in the ecu as well?
Yep. It works like a charm and looks great
Old 02-06-06, 05:13 AM
mlbpbg
Rookie

Lee
Funny (or not) you should say that. The windshield on my '05 broke about 3 weeks after I bought the car for no apparent reason. Insurance glass guys messed up the repair so bad it had to go to a body shop to have it redone (at their expense).
Old 02-10-06, 12:10 AM
the hustler07
Lead Lap

Those lights make a HUGE DIFFERENCE , its just like the 92-96 model, you gotta take the old lamps off. My brother just did this mod to his white '02, from reading this thread, i'll have to see if the body shop put in the new 06 ECU
Old 02-28-06, 11:59 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bebber
Hey Lee,

Great job with the step by step write-up. You are the man!

I'm a little skeptical that the LEDs would have gotten brighter with the new ECU setup. I'm skeptical because most LEDs (being the tiny semiconductor diodes that they are) run on much lower voltages (like +1.5V or +3.3V ) than the standard automotive (+12V to +14V) lamp voltages, meaning that Lexus would have to step down the voltages locally within the new LED taillight assemblies using either resistors in series or a more complicated circuit. The very fact that Lexus would be condiitioning the voltage locally suggests that it would be unlikely for them to further modify the SC430 wiring voltage for the 06 model to emit a higher voltage.

The way to test out this theory is to take a simple voltmeter and measure the voltage at the disconnected wiring harness of the tails using the new ECU and also using the old one to see if there is any variation. A simpler way to test it is just to compare the brightness of the LED tails side by side with one car that is using the 02-05 ECU and one car that is using the 06 ECU.

I say this just because I don't personally see the value of the ECU upgrade vs the taping of the dash "Lamp Out" LED (cost wise at least) unless there is a verifiable gain in brightness of the LED tails. I'm sure inquiring minds want to know.

-Josh EE, Viterbi school of engineering.

PS: Has anyone tried snipping the leads of the "Lamp Out" dash LED instead of covering it with tape?
did anyone do this to see what voltage is comin out and if the LED's will shine brighter or dimmer depending on ECU?

Also does anyone have all the part #'s to order?

Last edited by tonydt1g3r; 02-28-06 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-01-06, 08:05 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone? I got a friend at lexus and want to get the employee discount just need to get all the part #'s.
Old 03-01-06, 09:10 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I will have to see if I can pull up my invoices.
Old 03-01-06, 10:18 AM
lisalisa
Pole Position

Default part #'s

hi guys..

here is something i can help with...i just got my lights..and here is the list of the part #'s for each..

1- 76801-24020- reflector
1-76802-24020- reflector
2-81555-24140- socket
1-82670-24093- ECU
1-81551-24130-sc lens
1-81561-24130-sc lens
2-90981-11048-bulbs.

hope this helps!

lisalisa

Quick Reply: 06 Tail light install with PICS