SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ADVOX coilover install and impressions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-05, 10:09 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile ADVOX coilover install and impressions

In my relentless pursuit of eliminating uncertainty I installed a set of Advox coilovers today in the SC.

Now I had the Bilstein PSS coilovers in the car and they transformed a bit floaty sport coupe into a car that corners as flat as anything I have driven. The PSS's are that good! In fact even though I have them up for sale, I am contemplating holding on to them in case I decide to put them back on.

Now I bought these preowned from another member as they normally go for $3500.00+

They are high quality units and well built however I did notice that the front assemblies do not come with a bracket for the speed sensor wire which to me is ridiculous for something costing as much as these retail. The Bilsteins and Tein units I had for the GS had them.

Install went without a hitch and once completed and I was cleaned up I went for a test drive on my favorite turns around a large hill. Now with the PSS I could nail these at some high velocities and the car would stay composed without a hint of float. Accurate as a arrow and very well balanced with neutral handling.
With the Advox the first thing I noticed was that the ride is very similar to stock with just less sway and float. Nowhere near the PSS however but the ride is substantially better than the PSS which at times is very stiff.
With the PSS I could make a 110mph lane change and the SC would be planted. Not so with these Advox units. I would compare the handling now to a 540 BMW which is not bad but nowhere not even close to where the PSS units were capable of.

At this time I only have less than 100 miles on these units and will put on another few hundred before really writing up a conclusion and deciding if they are keepers. I have been told that these are softer than Tein CS's but I was not a fan of those for the GS though the SC kit is stiffer from what I understand. If these do not work out then maybe I will try the Tein CS units for the SC430. Too bad they take so long to get.

Look for an update to this thread with a few weeks.

Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 11-19-05 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-19-05, 11:16 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are nice coilovers. Congrats on the install. From your past posts, though, I think you are more of a PSS guy then an Advox guy.
Old 11-20-05, 12:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very nice stuff there lee, thanks for the review. and i agree, from what you have posted, i think you will probably love the pss more, probably even more than the tein cs.

and yeah, i believe the advox are even softer than the tein cs
Old 11-20-05, 10:02 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys, I think these will be a bit soft for me but I will give them a try for a few miles to see. I may just go ahead and call Todd and order a set of Teins in the meantime. Man R&R these things gets tiring after a while, but at least I will be happy with what ever I stick with. Does anyone know if the EDFC for the Teins will fit in the rear under the carpet? Does not appear so.
Old 11-20-05, 11:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Thanks guys, I think these will be a bit soft for me but I will give them a try for a few miles to see. I may just go ahead and call Todd and order a set of Teins in the meantime. Man R&R these things gets tiring after a while, but at least I will be happy with what ever I stick with. Does anyone know if the EDFC for the Teins will fit in the rear under the carpet? Does not appear so.
check pm lee
Old 11-21-05, 06:42 PM
SSK0771
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to buy them from Pual2x but it looks like you beat me by couple of days.

Anyway if you ever get sick of them, let me know.

I think those are the exact coilover I was looking for. Stock ride w/o floaty feeling.

Congrats.
Old 11-21-05, 07:36 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Well I have driven them a few hundred miles and so far I am content. Now the handling is nowhere near the PSS Bilsteins as mentioned before. The turn in reaction is not as razor crisp either. That said it is much improved over stock and it's progressive nature from it's dual pistons is evident as the harder you push the harder the resistance. Almost the best of both worlds. Worth $3600.00. HELL NO! But certainly worth as much as others charge for theirs.
Am I keeping it? Well since the EDFC will not fit my new Tom's STB I will probably hold onto these.
Lee
Old 12-03-05, 08:32 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Just an update. We went on a nice long twisty drive through the mountains yesterday and the car was flawless. With the Supra TT brakes I was able to go deep into the turns without any smell or fad-time after time-and there were MANY turns. See pic.
The car was well poised in the turns and I was able to nicely slide out the rear end several times controllably. I am now very impressed with these Advox units and it appears that they are keepers. Only issue I had was the steering in the car is a bit slow and needs a faster ratio.
Pics in the Digital Photography forum.
Lee
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...39#post1609439

Old 12-03-05, 10:08 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great info, Lee.
Old 02-07-06, 07:04 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Lee,

So I was catching up on some reading on the bilstein pss, unfortunately that website that was selling the pss's for about $900 fixed their price so it sells for over $1300 now So I think you should sell your advox setup and the toms stb to me and this will allow you to get the tein cs setup.

But seriously my question is only the second gen GS suspension fits in the sc430 right? And is there a difference between a gs300 and gs400/430 suspension on second gen. I see alot of 1st gen gs suspension for sale but that wont fit right?
Old 02-07-06, 09:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

gs300/400/430 suspension are all the same
Old 02-10-06, 08:29 PM
aspguru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Pearlpower do you want to sell your old coilovers?
Old 02-10-06, 09:44 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. Sorry, sold those a while ago.
Old 02-10-06, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

oh you sold the bilestein already?!

and when is your tein cs coming
Old 02-10-06, 11:50 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
oh you sold the bilestein already?!

and when is your tein cs coming

LOL. Funny Henry. Nope, I have settled with the Tom's. Very happy with them so far.

Quick Reply: ADVOX coilover install and impressions