SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-06, 03:45 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Mods, why don't you make this a 'sticky'? Thx.
Old 09-02-06, 06:55 AM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow-up question about the TPM: Is there a way to determine if one of the batteries has gone bad? Does the light come on?
Thanks
Old 09-02-06, 07:27 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by velocity12
Follow-up question about the TPM: Is there a way to determine if one of the batteries has gone bad? Does the light come on? Thanks
I have 2 more related questions:
-If one battery goes bad, WHICH one?
-Has anybody had to replace the batteries yet? They're supposed to last 5 years, but how about mileage? Maybe we us low mileage drivers can get a few more years of life? Just curious.
Old 09-02-06, 08:38 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Time drains batteries, no so much mileage. It's the reason most purchased today are dated.

A debate is underway to install a hourly time gauge into the hybrid vehicles, along with the standard mileage odometer. Auto manufactures are pushing back, of course.

Sitting inside a tire or rolling around doesn't matter.

A Lexus diagnostic tool may be needed to determine which of the five has a defective battery.
Old 09-02-06, 08:43 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I have 2 more related questions:
-If one battery goes bad, WHICH one?
-Has anybody had to replace the batteries yet? They're supposed to last 5 years, but how about mileage? Maybe we us low mileage drivers can get a few more years of life? Just curious.
I posted battery information on this forum a while back. They are available though a tad pricey and do require soldering.
Old 09-02-06, 04:25 PM
Topless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping '03 OEM Rims for '06

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
You can't discount the extra protection of the rims with the low pressure warning though. One can always say that " I check the tire pressure regularly with my own gauge anyway ", but it's the UNEXPECTED loss of pressure, you can check them, but what if shortly after you put air into them, you runover some sharp objects & damage your tires & then you hit a big pothole with the pressure very low, that MIGHT happen too

Anyway, I got the bands at no extra cost from HRE with the wheels, & I might have paid only about $50 or so more in labour transferring them from the stock wheels to the HRE's, so I have already got more than my money's worth AFAIC since they have accurately warned me of low pressure a few times already, once with a punctured tire, who knows what might have happened to my rims had I not have the TPS on ?

As I have said, it's not a perfect method, it's kind of Ad Hoc & you have to weigh the pro's & cons, & I prefer the valve stems or the bored holes of the Rezax, but if I decide my next pair of rims will be HRE's again & they come with the bands, I would not hesitate to use them again rather than just abandoning the TPS.

BTW Henry, my G35 coupe with the banded TPS on is my daily driver for 2 1/2 years, & no I don't rack up 35K+ miles per year driving between North & South Cal regularly like you do , & my mileage on the odom is probably a little below average, but the G35c already has more mileage on it's odom than my SC430 although it's one year "younger".
My Dad (70 years old) bought a 2003 SC430. The car is in mint shape except for the rims. They are chromed stock rims, the previous owner curbed all four of them, with what people on this forum refer to as "run craps".

My Dad hates the way the car rides with the run flats and I don't like the way it looks with the curbed chrome rims so I decided to buy him a set of powder-coated OEM rims and Michelin Pilot Sport AS tires.

I bought him a set of '06 take-offs. They still have the plastic protectors on them. I had originally planned on disabling the TPS. The only reason I was on the forum today was to print the information posted on how to disable it.

Now that I've read the entire thread, I agree with those of you that think the TPS should be kept functional. I know I've given a lot of details, but finally to my question:

Can the sensors from my Dad's '03 work with the '06 rims? I've tested his TPS and it works. All the sensors recognize a loss of air pressure.

I apologize if my post is too long. I've never "posted" before.

Sincerely,

Dall
Old 09-03-06, 09:31 AM
IKE-DIRTY
Driver

Default I Thought I Was Alone With This Problem

AFTER I THREW MY DUBS ON THIS STUPID BEEP WAS VERY ANNOYING SO IM GOING TO TRY WHAT YOU GUYS PROVIDED. THANKS FROM THE EASTCOAST
Old 09-04-06, 12:47 PM
IKE-DIRTY
Driver

Hey Rominl I Tried Your Methods It Was Simple And Quick Thanks For The Intel It Was Very Helpful
Old 09-07-06, 01:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

no problem man, glad it helps!
Old 10-04-06, 09:02 PM
bngmhse
Driver School Candidate

Lee, I can't get the pics, can you email them to me at "bngmhse@yahoo.com" ?
Thx,
Bill
Old 10-06-06, 09:34 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Bill,
Sorry, I apologize for any inconveniece. Try this page again, I just put the picture back up. Swtiched servers a while back.
Thank ,Lee
Old 11-11-06, 12:23 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Topless
Can the sensors from my Dad's '03 work with the '06 rims? I've tested his TPS and it works. All the sensors recognize a loss of air pressure.

I apologize if my post is too long. I've never "posted" before.

Sincerely,

Dall
Dall, I don't know if it's too late or not but I just had it done yesterday...To answer your question, yes the tpms will work on the 06' wheels assuming the battery isn't dead yet. All you have to do is call a Lexus dealership & just tell them the situation...You would like them to reset/reinitialize the tpms on the new wheels (assuming the tpms are installed on the new wheels already). It shouldn't take more than 15-20 mins tops & they shouldn't charge you anything unless the tpms aren't installed yet. Hope that helps & no you're post isn't long.
Old 05-22-07, 06:40 PM
John007
Driver

Uhhh... if u still need help reprogramming your tire pressure message me and ill show u how up do it
Old 07-05-07, 08:13 PM
toplevon
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Tpms

I'm a little new to this forum came over from Jaguar I was a scared to change my rims after reading the post on TPMS having to unplug the unit,I went to my rim shop and it does alot of High end cars they had no problem putting my TPM on my new rims he said the rims were made for the TPM .....I will post pics soon I am having the Diablo doors put on next ...I have enjoyed the forum so far.....

Last edited by toplevon; 07-06-07 at 02:31 AM.
Old 09-03-07, 09:44 AM
Hardtop430
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Rominl - Thanks for quick DIY. I just pasted the mileage point where lexus stops replacing the tire sensors. I used up a set of Michelin Pilot a/s tires, and replaced them with Pirelli P Zero Neros M+S. Had Lexus do the tires, but they wanted another $200+ to replace two dead sensors. Lexus has been buying me about 1 sensor per quarter. I've driven cars for 20+ years w/o this - glad to be rid of the hassle.

Quick Reply: How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?