SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-10, 12:49 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
A lurker and potential SC430 owner. The 02's came without the spare? Just the run flats?
Hi mandy,

Let me just say that when I was looking to buy a used one; I did not find even one that had not came originally with RunFlats.

The standard tires might have been offered but I doubt that they were 'pushed' during the sales pitch.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 01-24-11, 03:18 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Thanks Jerry, close to a month later, I have enjoyed my SC430. It came with cheap regular tires. And I mean cheap. But we will see what we can do.
Old 01-25-11, 07:33 PM
mandyfig

Am I correct when saying that when new TPMS sensors need activating, only the dealer can do it?
Old 03-13-11, 08:15 AM
mandyfig

Well after creating my canister to trick my other set of TPMS which works but have to carry the pipe bomb on the trunk, I have decided to perform the 5 min TPMS light gone DIY. It is actually less than 5 min but including the cleaning of the crud, well it was close to 5.

I do not endorse disabling the TPMS sensors nor I intend this to be permanent. Thanks to rominl for allowing us to make that choice. Soon as I replace my runflats with NRF's, I will re-mount by sensors and plug in the system back.

Prevention is the key not detection. Be proactive in checking your tire pressure, tire condition and be aware of your surroundings, places you visit and roads you drive on. Where you do normally get your tires punctured? Construction sites, rarely driven streets and places near the tire repair shops, LOL!

For now, no lights, no alarm and no pipe bomb in the trunk. Heaven forbid you get searched and might be detained for what looks like a pipe bomb, LOL!

Fresh pics taken from the process to follow, none that will help you more because the pics earlier showed it quite well. It will just help the others to look at the last page and get it done quicker. Thanks again rominl and the others that came before me who assured that it was painless and effective. Indeed it was.

Last edited by mandyfig; 03-13-11 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-13-11, 08:51 AM
mandyfig

Here we are, again do this at your own risk, I do not endorse the disabling of the TPMS sensors but suggest due dilligence on monitoring of you tires' condition:
Attached Thumbnails How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?-dscn1442.jpg   How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?-dscn1443.jpg   How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?-dscn1444.jpg   How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?-dscn1445.jpg   How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?-dscn1446.jpg  

Old 03-13-11, 11:05 AM
mandyfig

No more TPMS lights!
Old 03-16-11, 04:15 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well thats weird.. You can use a techstream laptop that connects to the car and it will give them all four color codes. And to test which one is bad they lower each wheels tire pressure and keep an eye on the laptop to see if the psi drops. If the tire you lowered the psi is not reading on the laptop(psi not dropping-theres usually a -number that reads for the bad sensor if i remember correctly) thats your bad sensor and the color is labled next to it. They write down the other three colors and then all they need is the color of the new sensor and then perform the programing with the laptop.. No need to dismount all four tires to retrieve the color codes when replacing just one.. Stealerships.... Tsk tsk..
Old 03-26-11, 09:26 AM
scratchwin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well actually, if using runflats, I would not remove the alarm. Twice I´ve had zero tyre pressure due to tears in the wall fabric and luckily the alarm flashed and sounded. But I do run around with the light on. Getting fed up of asking the idiots in Lexus, Palma Mallorca, Spain to fix it. They cannot. Could be dangerous to go high speed and have no air as the tyre will overheat and tear up. They do not go down if low tyre air pressure is present. So dont disconnect the alarm

Last edited by scratchwin; 03-26-11 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention that I painted my Lexus on the left for your delight
Old 03-26-11, 11:18 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
No more TPMS lights!
Hi Mandy,

Nice write-up.

Just a note: When I unplugged mine I did not unscrew the shift ****. I took out the seat heater dial holder. Then put the shift selector into the farthest back ( to the rear of the car ) position, this allowed me to lift the console & pull it back enough to reach in & unplug both connectors; and I have rather large hands.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 03-26-11, 07:33 PM
mandyfig

You are right Jerry no need to remove the shift ****, shifted it to Neutral. I did a friend's today and it took me 2 minutes. My friend held the panel up and I went in and unplugged the 2 connectors. 2 minutes!
Old 04-12-11, 01:11 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the pics! just did this in two minutes!
Old 05-25-11, 11:51 PM
MrFine
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok,

I fixed a flat on the rear passenger tire of my 05 sc430. Upon return, there was a loud extended beep repeating every 2 minutes. I read this thread, did the fix, (It's true you can do it in less time than it takes to read...) And guess what? The beeping continues... So then I unhooked the battery and still the infernal beeping continues, inexorably repeating every 120 seconds a tone that seems to be changing, taking on a more malicious taunting tone with every cycle... So I got my obdII reader, plugged it in and no codes! Apparently, there is nothing wrong with the car. That means my family (and our dog), must be having simultaneous group hallucinations of the same thing!!
Or there's something else that I need to disconnect...
Please help us before I shoot my car. I happen to enjoy it a lot.
The noise is driving myself, the wife, our kids and especially the dog nuts....
Since the TPMS has been disabled and the battery disconnected:
1.Where is the beeper located and how do I disable it?
2. Does leaving the battery disconnected for 24 hours affect automatic systems like windows, or the ECM, etc???
Once a battery is reconnected, what steps need to be taken to restore any programming?
Old 05-27-11, 11:22 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFine
Ok,

I fixed a flat on the rear passenger tire of my 05 sc430. Upon return, there was a loud extended beep repeating every 2 minutes. I read this thread, did the fix, (It's true you can do it in less time than it takes to read...) And guess what? The beeping continues... So then I unhooked the battery and still the infernal beeping continues, inexorably repeating every 120 seconds a tone that seems to be changing, taking on a more malicious taunting tone with every cycle... So I got my obdII reader, plugged it in and no codes! Apparently, there is nothing wrong with the car. That means my family (and our dog), must be having simultaneous group hallucinations of the same thing!!
Or there's something else that I need to disconnect...
Please help us before I shoot my car. I happen to enjoy it a lot.
The noise is driving myself, the wife, our kids and especially the dog nuts....
Since the TPMS has been disabled and the battery disconnected:
1.Where is the beeper located and how do I disable it?
2. Does leaving the battery disconnected for 24 hours affect automatic systems like windows, or the ECM, etc???
Once a battery is reconnected, what steps need to be taken to restore any programming?
Do you get the TPMS warning light on dash after unplugging it?

Rominl had a 05 when he posted this great method to disable TPMS, so it works on the 05 for sure.
Old 05-29-11, 07:44 AM
Waynema
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disble TMPS on LS460?

Hi, I am new to the forum. It is such a honor to join this great forum. Like most people in the forum, I am too are very annoyed by the TPMS alarm. Can someone show me exactly how to completely disable the TPMS on a 2008 LS460 before I go insane! I have found out how to do this on most model Lexus but not on a LS. I have been researching this for months. I have taken my car apart looking everywhere for the TPMS ECU with no success. I am truly greatful for any help from you all.
Old 06-15-11, 08:34 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
OK here it is. Look under your dash on the drivers side. Left of the steering column. Look for the large silver box as pic'd and remove the black plug.That's it. No other side effects. This disables the audible only, not the light. Thanks Henry.
Lee

My light is intermittent... even air pressure perfect, it will be off, then go come back on. I bent a wheel recently.

Even when the light is on constantly, (even with air pressure perfect)... if I take all the air out of a tire, the beeping occurs.

Is there any way to keep the beep and lose the light?

I ask because some form of warning would be nice and it seems as though even if the sensor is shot, it does still work in warning that the air is completely (or close to) flat.

Quick Reply: How to disable tire-pressure monitoring (TPM) system?