Dealer Tire Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 08:29 AM
Santego
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Tire Replacement

New guy on the Forum -

I'm experiencing the same tire noise problems others have described in previous posts. Reviews of all the posts have pretty much determined that the tire to fit my style and noise requirements are the Michlean PS A/S but the posts indicate that other than lexus installers have been used.

I've been told by my Lexus dealer that they have the only tool to fit the OE rims and they must change the tire. I have the tire pressure system and wish to keep it working.

Does anyone have knowledge of the dealers claim to be the only one to replace the tires on the origional rims? The rims are in great shape now and I don't want to go through a hassle with a "Bubba" shop trying to crowbar new tires on - At the same time, I don't want a pay Dealer pricing if a reputable and capable alternative exists. Besides, my dealer is 3 hours away from my current location.

Thanks to all the info provided on the site, great stuff!!

Old 12-05-05, 09:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welcome to clublexus, i am sure you will find tons of info here

you definitely need a good shop who knows how to deal with run-flats (they are very hard to take off and put on) and pressure sensor (you can't really "hammer" on it), but for dealership to say that only they can deal with the oem rims that's beyond BS.... for all i care lexus dealerships sometimes don't do that good of a job on mount and balancing anyway

so you need a good shop that knows how to deal with wheels, runflat, and TPS. maybe you can post in the regional forum and see who's around you to help. maybe you can pm davegs4 to see if he knows anyone local too
Old 12-05-05, 09:16 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Everything Henry just said.
Sad but true that a good tire shop with compentant employees is damn near impossible to find which is why I will be going to the dealer to install my TPS. Tired of the monkeys out there breaking tires and damaging rims and claiming ignorance afterrwards. Not saying the dealer will not damage the rim, just that at least you have someone to complain to.
Lee
Old 12-05-05, 01:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Everything Henry just said.
Sad but true that a good tire shop with compentant employees is damn near impossible to find which is why I will be going to the dealer to install my TPS. Tired of the monkeys out there breaking tires and damaging rims and claiming ignorance afterrwards. Not saying the dealer will not damage the rim, just that at least you have someone to complain to.
Lee
hahhaa, i know what you mean lee. too bad you are not in norcal otherwise i would have couple of places to suggest!
Old 12-14-05, 08:29 PM
beachdrive
Rookie

I am so glad that I had the dealer mount my Pilot A/S tires. I had two malfunctions of the tire pressure sensors within 6 months to a year (not sure about time lag) and the most critcal question from the dealer was "who mounted these tires?" I actualy had to provide the documentation. Other than mine they had never mounted Pilot A/S tire so were sure i did not get them from them and the service writer I worked it all thru had left for another car dealer.

Fortunately I could prove that they did mount them and as an added plus had bought the tires through their parts dept.
Old 01-30-06, 08:55 AM
Santego
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Finally located a COSTCO that stated that they had tons of experience with TPS and SC430 rims in Myrtle Beach. Decided to go with PS A/S and all is well. Took it to Toyota in Wilminton and they aligned all 4 wheels.

Now no road roar and steering is much better.