SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Girl's car

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 12:11 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc430mike
So is a M3 a mans car? I agree with some of you that if we mod our Sc430's that they will look harder and more tuff. I guess there are a lot of women with these cars, my friends mom just got one and I have seen several women with this car, but they are never modified. These posts are funny to read. Sometimes I have thought bad things about my car, that it may be feminine-but then I just think I could always put a kit on it or sell it and buy a m3. Its also funny that the phatest sc430's on these pages are ones driven by these guyz's wives, right? I wonder what they drive if their wives drive such awesome cars???
HAHA thats because the guy wants to hook up a car but doesnt want the wife to nag and say why you spending so much money on your car, so they hook up the wifes car and drive it around on occasion and still have fun hooking up the car without the wife complaining. The wife cant complain when her car is getting nicer.
Old 12-07-05, 01:36 PM
sc430mike
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh! Nice going by them, I didnt see the genius in that until you pointed that out. Now I understand. I would want to drive it every day though!
Old 12-07-05, 01:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ok gues, get back on topic can we? you can go to pm if you want. i am that close from closing this thread
Old 12-07-05, 03:47 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texsn95
A guy in a 430 is similar to a guy in a V6 mustang, it just doesn't look right.
lol lol
Old 12-11-05, 10:52 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I dont even know where to start with this one. Lets start off by establishing that I am totally die hard Lexus. Quite simply I believe that Lexus makes the best cars ever made. No one else can compare, not mercedes nor bmw nor anyone else. While it would be absurd to doubt that the sc430 is a good car, this very topic has been a frustration of my own. Lets face it, my SC400 is getting old, and could use a replacement, but what can replace it. The obvious choice would be another lexus coupe. However my first perception of this car was "Womens Car!", (I suppose for the same reasons I feel this way for lets say a VW beetle, except for the indash flower vase) I could believe the new body style when I saw it. Upon test drive, my prior perception was solidified. The feel was just not the same nor and lost was the aggressive sound of my 400.

I went so far as to take polls from others as to their perception of the SC430. I asked other shoppers at the dealership, people working at the dealership, fellow Lexus enthusiasts, friends, coworkers and anyone else I knew. Overwhelmingly approx 95% of those I asked said they would classify it as a womens car. Now don't get me wrong, in my eyes Lexus could never make a bad car. However, the sc430 just did not live up to the persona of the SC400 (which I had a unanimous aggreement of it being classified as a guys car). I think the SC430 would have been an excellent addition to the lexus line up with a different namebadge. However the SC430 is more a competitor in the roadster market, despite its rear seat, and the sc400 was more a tourer. This is evident in the fact that Lexus claimed that the sc400 was to compete against such cars as the BMW 840/850 and the sc430 against the MB SL.

In an effort to dissect the characteristics of a Man's car I came down to a fairly simple method for classification. Aggressiveness. In general, a measure of a Manly car is its aggressiveness. Look, feel, sound. How it stimulates the senses. And this is where the SC430 fails to prove its manlyness, its aggressiveness. This is what made the SC400 such a masterpiece. It was able to ooze aggression in every form without losing a touch of class.

The SL.
The Mercedes SL proves to be a classic, its previous bodystyle proving to be a success for approx 10 years is evidence enough of its acceptance in automotive world, whether male or female. The SL is car that is able to walk the line between male and female. But dressed in its AMG skin, SL55 AMG and the ferocious, unmatched SL65AMG (However, for me personally, the CL55 and CL65 AMG is a nicer car), this MB shows its masculinity to the extreme.

I saw some great pics posted of SC430s and some of them look pretty darn cool, but all the body kits in the world can't hide the bubbly hood and decklid of the sc430. "Man" and "Bubbly" just dont go together, with extremely rare exception of course (such as the Jaguar XJR-15). To comment on the Celica, yes this is a girls car, Toyota has tried very hard to give it an aggresive look, but somehow it manages to retain every bit of its femininity. Rice indeed does not make a car a mans car. Rice is anything that looks ridiculous, especially when its all for show and none for go.

A friend of mine who works at a leasing company has told me recently that lexus can't give away the SC430, there is just no demand. It doesnt have any distinguishing characteristics to drawn in customers from the competition, other than its quality, which may no be enough for the first time in lexus history (Oh, did we forget the es250 and gen1 gs300?). He also admitted that the vast majority of the sc430's are leased out to female customers.

I wouldnt trade my Lex for anything else, but Lexus definately needs to do some work to get on top of the game, they need some model options to compete against the MB AMGs, BMW M series, and Audi S models. That being said, like the car, hate the car, respect the car, the SC430 undoubtly appeals to the female shopper more than the male enthusiast.
Old 12-11-05, 10:58 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow, alot of text there. Some incorrect. Your friend has no idea what he is saying as proven by Lexus sales numbers. My suggestion to you-don't buy one. Buy a Mustang. There is a man's car, though I see more women driving them. Get the point?

Plus let me make this clear in one more time for you - IT IS A GIRLS CAR! I get more looks and praises in this car than any other car I have owned by mostly girls but also alot of guys. That said my SC300 NEVER received a compliment (wait, I think I had one), nor did my SC400. My GS400 received a few from time to time but nothing recently as the style is old and history much like the new GS already is.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-11-05 at 11:51 PM.
Old 12-11-05, 11:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by crazyjohn
Hello to all. I just purchased an 02 SC430 two weeks ago. Egyptian Sand with saddle interior. I have been told by more than half of my friends that it is a Girl's Car. I have a friend in Sarasota and he says that he sees at least 15 of those cars everyday, and he has never seen a guy driving one. I have another friend that just leased a SL500 in black, he laughs at my car. Just want to hear some opinions.
SC 430 is a girls car b/c if your a man driving it, it attracts tons of girls

Old 12-11-05, 11:31 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Any person that feels the car he drives reflects on his own masculinity is pretty pathetic IMHO. The masculinity is in the person, not the car he drives, & anybody who judges a person's masculinity by the car he drives is a totally worthless opinion anyway . . .
Old 12-11-05, 11:52 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Any person that feels the car he drives reflects on his own masculinity is pretty pathetic IMHO. The masculinity is in the person, not the car he drives, & anybody who judges a person's masculinity by the car he drives is a totally worthless opinion anyway . . .

Well said. Close this worthless thread.
Old 12-12-05, 01:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Well said. Close this worthless thread.
i agree, this thread has done it course. there is no point in keeping it open anymore, i don't see it going anywhere. thanks everyone