SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Girl's car

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 07:56 PM
crazyjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girl's car

Hello to all. I just purchased an 02 SC430 two weeks ago. Egyptian Sand with saddle interior. I have been told by more than half of my friends that it is a Girl's Car. I have a friend in Sarasota and he says that he sees at least 15 of those cars everyday, and he has never seen a guy driving one. I have another friend that just leased a SL500 in black, he laughs at my car. Just want to hear some opinions.
Old 12-05-05, 08:29 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyjohn
I just purchased an 02 SC430 two weeks ago. I have another friend that just leased a SL500 in black, he laughs at my car. Just want to hear some opinions.

I think you win in the end on this one
Old 12-05-05, 08:34 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah its girls car~~~ I bought it for my wife~~~ so its girl's car..... hahahaha

Whatever!! don't let people's opinion stop you from enjoy one of the refined, well built hard top convertible in the luxury auto market. The critics year after year has ranked SC as one of the best convertible in the market in all aspect. I don't see the car has any engraving on it that says "girl's car". I would tend to think people who make such comment are either can't afford such a nice car themselves or just pure jealous. As to your friend who bought the SL500. You will soon return the favor when you are enjoy the car under the sun and he is driving a C240 as a loaner!! hahaha.... So who is the wise one, you tell me.....

Don't care what other people say or comment. You purchase the SC for some reasons but definitely not because people told you to.

P.S. Here in So. Cal. I see most of SC with male driver, including myself today.... hahaha...

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 12-05-05 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-05-05, 08:36 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

I see mostly females driving it. The SL certainly is a man's car.
Old 12-05-05, 08:53 PM
texsn95
Rookie

A guy in a 430 is similar to a guy in a V6 mustang, it just doesn't look right.
Old 12-05-05, 09:01 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

does THAT look like a girl car?...the sc430 was ranked the HIGHEST Luxury car in initial quality EVER...I believe Mercedes was ranked what 10th?!?!?

as far as aggressive (manly)...stock for stock...the SL is more manly...but with the 30k you save for the sc...that'll buy a lot of manly toys...so who is really winning?

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - For the second year in a row, the Lexus SC 430 ranked as the most reliable new car on the market, according to a study released Wednesday.

Lexus is Toyota's luxury brand.

J.D. Power's annual Initial Quality Study said owners of an SC 430 reported 54 problems per 100 vehicles in the first 90 days of ownership. (The average number of reported defects across the industry is 118 problems per 100 cars.)

Mercedes may drop goal to top quality survey, chief says

BARCELONA - DaimlerChrysler is debating whether to abandon its goal to place its Mercedes-Benz brand first in the prestigious J.D. Power and Associates car quality survey, Mercedes chief Eckhard Cordes said on Friday.

"We are carefully analysing whether this is a reasonable goal or not, and then we will answer the question once we have finished our analysis," he told reporters on the sidelines of an industry conference here.

The premium Mercedes-Benz brand has been pulling out all the stops to address quality problems that have dented its elegant image and raised doubts about its avowed goal of topping J.D. Power U.S. survey of initial quality in new cars by 2006.

"In order to become (number) one in J.D. Power, it is not only about hardware quality. It also has to do with the American taste, how they want cars," Cordes had earlier told the Automotive News conference.

A car's ratings may be marked down, for instance, if buyers feel they have too many functional buttons on the steering wheel, he said.

"One has to carefully analyse whether with a global car it is really advisable to strive for being J.D. Power number one," he added.

"If we come to the conclusion that the clear answer is 'yes', we want to be number one. But you see that we are still debating this, or whether we are better off with number two or number 3. That is still open."

Should the company decide a second-place ranking is acceptable, that does not mean that cars sold under the Mercedes brand are worse than those sold under the top-ranked brand, he added.

Cordes did not specify which J.D. Power survey he was referring to. In the J.D. Power 2004 Initial Quality Survey of auto nameplates, Mercedes-Benz ranked No. 10 with 106 problems per 100 vehicles. Toyota's premium Lexus brand ranked No. 1 with 87 problems.

Old 12-05-05, 09:04 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

^^ The issue isn't about reliability. Everyone knows Lexus> Benz. To me the SC is too curvy. I guess girls like the cute curvy look.
Old 12-05-05, 09:08 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I've only seen 2 female SC430 drivers thus far. All the rest are males.

Who cares about dumb car stereotypes anyway . . .
Old 12-05-05, 09:11 PM
DPRSupra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeXuSrAcIn
^^ The issue isn't about reliability. Everyone knows Lexus> Benz. To me the SC is too curvy. I guess girls like the cute curvy look.
gotcha...i like your opinion on supras and turbos by the way...chick car? personal opinion
Old 12-05-05, 09:14 PM
texsn95
Rookie

Originally Posted by DPRSupra
[IMG]does THAT look like a girl car?...the sc430 was ranked the HIGHEST Luxury car in initial quality EVER...I believe Mercedes was ranked what 10th?!?!?

]
Very much so. While it gets this award and that award, the 430 screams anything but aggressive. My buddy and I were leaving work and I saw a 430, I asked him if he liked it and he said "hell no, that looks like a pansy car". lol
Old 12-05-05, 09:15 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

yes, and the issue when i purchase the car i care about what i like about the car and what the car will bring me as to its value, quality and etc. Certainly not what people think about if its a man's car or female's car..... (IT IS NOT EVEN AN ISSUE.)
Old 12-05-05, 09:23 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

I see mostly females driving it. The SL certainly is a man's car.
I' ve read in a few other forums of the SL characterized as a middle-age trophy wife's car Not that I necessarily agree with it though , there are also many grey hair men driving it too
Old 12-05-05, 09:31 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AmethySC
I' ve read in a few other forums of the SL characterized as a middle-age trophy wife's car Not that I necessarily agree with it though , there are also many grey hair men driving it too
... Nice one!

I think we should do a servey to first see how many female SC driver and male female driver here and then how many people think its man's car, female's car, or unisex, or maybe who cares, I like the car...
Old 12-05-05, 09:31 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what really defines a "guy's car?"
A car that has aggressive lines and less feminine lines?
A car that has alot of horsepower?
A car that has a certain look to it when a guy sits in it and you know it's a guys car?

Well sure, that's what every guy wants, right? To feel proud and cool and not ashamed of his car and not looked downed upon.

Let me tell you this, I could have bought a C5, M3, 350Z, A4/A6, Mustang GT or the S2000,
but I got the SC430. WHY? Because, it's got everything that I wanted all in one.

Drop top hard top
V8 300 HP
top of the line Mark Levinson sound system
adequate sports handling
plush leather
delicate craftmanship interior wood
quiet interior cabin
reliability
luxury

I wasn't thinking it's a girl's car when I bought it. I have no regrets that I did.
My homeboys got M3's, SL55's, Lex's, mustangs, G35's, supra's, camaros and audi's.
They seem to compliment on what I have and done to my car.

I drive it in public and no one has ever told me that the SC430 is a girl's car.
Actuallly, up here in NorCal I've seen more guys than gals driving this car.
And those who walk up and upon further inspection of my car (after a few exterior mods like WALD kit and Soarer badging, they seem to ponder "what the hell is this car and drool all over it".

Isn't buying a car about how an individual feels about those factors when test driving it?
you are what you drive and you drive what you are.
Who cares that others define a certain car a "girls car" and a "guys car"?
It's all about you and only you can enjoy the better things in life that you can afford and commit to.

Remember, you are driving a LEXUS! A command performance and luxurious expectations that this company lives up to.

you put a turbocharger in this "girl's car" and tell your friend (the SL500 dude) that you smoked his a-s, then let's see what he has to say?

I rest my case!
Old 12-05-05, 09:52 PM
LeXuSrAcIn
Lexus Test Driver

You SC guys need to stop getting so defensive. To me what defines a girly car is a car that when a girl sees she says "oh thats a cute lil car."

But again, its all just a matter of opinion. I'm sure there's people that think a F50 is a girly car.

Quick Reply: Girl's car