SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

430 questions to answer (round 2)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 10:58 AM
helriser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 430 questions to answer (round 2)

All right a month or so ago, I posted some questions about the sc430 that you great people helped me out with. Now I have a few more as I am very interested in this car and just want to make sure it's everthing I hope it will be for me.

1. I read some complaints about vibrating/rattling door panels due to stereo bass- Is it just the vibration from the bass only or is it loud to the point of being a nuissance? I am a fan of loud stereo in my car, and I'm defintely planning on blasting all my hip hop music as loud as possible. So I due expect vibration, but nothing to the extent that will interfere with my enjoyment of the moment.

2. I also read about rattling in the rear part of the roof. I got rid of my convertible bimmer just because I could no longer endure the rattling noice that was emitting from the convertible roof at every bump on the road. The dealer made it clear that they could only lubricate it, but would eventually return as convertibles are doomed with rattling roofs. That is exactly why I thought maybe a hardtop roof would not have this problem.

3. Now I know the SC is no bimmer in performance but I've been so use to the sharp handling of the bimmer, especially when making wide turns at 60MPH without having to tap the brakes at all. When I tried this in other cars, I always feel like the car is heading for the curve and am forced to apply braking to avoid a potential crash. That being said, will I be able to simulate my driving style on the SC? Or will I get that not so pleasant PRE-ROLLOVER sensation?

4. How does the car fare in body lean?

5. Can you go 90 on the highway without engaging into a battle with the wind?

6. Just for kicks but not really important to me- What is the big deal with the new 06 tail lights? How are they better or different? I know the front are now adptive which interest me, would they fit on an 02?

Thanks in advanced for all the replies
Old 12-07-05, 12:11 PM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

Here's my responses to your questions, based upon owning a non-modified '02 for well over 4 years:

1. As far as I can tell from here, this is a problem with some cars, but by no means common. I play the radio loud all the time and have never had this happen. My dealer tells me he has had this complaint about twice in 4 years. As far as I know, the dealers know why it happens and are able to fix it if you have it. I may be wrong, but I think this has only popped up on the earlier models.

2. This is really rare. Even more rare than #1. Be wary of generalizing from insufficient data. In my experience, the 430 with the top up is just about as quiet as my SC400 coupe. If you are used to a rag top, you will be amazed. It's like two, two, two cars in one.

3. This question implies that you are going to buy this car without driving it first. That would be not wise. Secondly, the SC is not designed to handle like a sports car; it's designed to ride more like a luxury car, despite its small size. For my tastes, it handles pretty well, and I go around corners much too fast for most of my (female) passengers. It's no Porsche, but it's not trying to be. Still, it handles and performs better than 98% of what's on the road in your general viciinity.

4. Body lean is not a problem. See #3 above.

5. Yes. Same is true for 120. (The car weighs almost 4000 pounds.) At 90 you can engage the cruise control and enjoy the music.

6. The new tail lights look a little bit different, and this drives some people so crazy they are spending hundreds of dollars to change out their old ones. Still, they just light up red when you stop, and nobody but an avid SC afficianado could ever tell the difference. No big deal in my opinion. The new headlights are "adaptive" which I think means they turn a little to the side with the steering wheel. That is a nice touch, but most of us get along pretty well without it. Not a deal breaker.

Thanks in retrospect for your questions.
Old 12-07-05, 12:17 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the headlights arent a deal breaker but I love them on the porche cayanne, helps alot when its real dark outside and your making a turn. I wish there was a way to hook up the 06 headlights on the older models
Old 12-07-05, 12:40 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '03 SC 430 with 35k:
1) The best sounding stock stereo I have ever heard. Never had the problem with vibration and I like my music on the loud side.
2) I can't believe this car is a convertible. I live in Boston so the top is up for awhile and I still can't believe how quiet this car is.
3) I think you already answered the question. BMWs have a feel not replicated by any other car. The SC is no bimmer, which is one of the reasons I like it so much. There is a nice blend of handling and comfort that suits me just fine. This, however, is such a personal taste that one size doesn't fit all. If you want to tear into the twisties then this may disappoint you. Drive one and drive it for more than 5 mins, put it through its paces and see if it meets your approval.
4)non issue for me
5)yes, wind is no problem at most speeds. If you want to tell us at 140 mph what it's like I'll take your word on it.
6)LEDs now used in the taillights, little more cutting than my '03 but no big deal. Also adaptive headlights are nice, especially in the more remote areas where pitch black is norm but here in the city it's not very useful.
Old 12-07-05, 02:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

1) the ML is best in its time, but now i have heard better. the rattle on the door panel (in my case, wood trim) was all i have, other than that it's a good
2) i don't have roof problem at all, dead quiet
3) seriously, in terms of driving feel you can't really compare it with bimmer, you can't make it into a bimmer. with sways and the tein cs, my car hadles a lot better and flatter, but doing super fast turns i still don't feel as "stable" as bimmer
4) stock form? i think the car leans a lot. the sways help on the problem a lot
5) this is where lexus shine, their drag coeff is so low, wind noise is never an issue. like other said, even at over 100 it's nothing
6) no more amber, just clear, and it's led. totally cosmetic
Old 12-10-05, 08:31 AM
helriser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the replies. I really appreciate it. As far as performance is concern, I'm well aware it would not be anything like a bimmer. But I just wanter to make sure I wasn't gonna get a Toyota Camry drive either. Not that there's anything wrong with Camrys.
Old 12-10-05, 09:57 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm, as everyone else has already posted. As far as performing like a Bummer, I would rather not, then the car would be slow like the 330 convertible I toasted a few days ago on a long bank turn. If you plan on keeping it stock (which I do not recommend) then yes enjoy it for what it is. Otherwise it can be turned into anything you wish like most cars yet still keep much of it's character.
On the taillights, even those that are not SC430 fans will recognize the huge improvement the new taillights add to the rear of the car. However, they may not be aware that it's the tails that add to the nicer rear end. It just looks great is all they know. More importantly-I like it.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-10-05 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-10-05, 06:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by helriser
Just wanted to thank you guys for all the replies. I really appreciate it. As far as performance is concern, I'm well aware it would not be anything like a bimmer. But I just wanter to make sure I wasn't gonna get a Toyota Camry drive either. Not that there's anything wrong with Camrys.
hahhaa, come on, give the car a bit more credit the car, even in stock, can run multiple circles around the camry