SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 / iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-06, 10:07 AM
prex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it has the TEXT button, you should be set, other easy way to test is burn an audio cd w/ CD TEXT (roxio ez cd creator and nero burning rom can do it, among others) enabled and see if it shows up.
Old 01-02-06, 01:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm.. i will go take a look when i go down to socal again

i don't recall about the text button, but i remember one time i burned a cd with cd text, put it in the rx330 and it showed up fine, but on my sc430 i tried this and that and couldn't get it to work

would be nice if it can show.
Old 01-02-06, 02:19 PM
prex
Driver

http://www.asdfg.org/sc430-2005radio.jpg shows the text button. i am quite sure the 2005 has it, chances are you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-02-06, 05:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

thanks for the pic prex, this weekend i am defnitely going to try it!
Old 08-03-06, 10:09 AM
egoldy
Driver School Candidate

Default Reply To IPOD Integration - SC430 - 2003

I just bought a pre-owned Lexus SC430 - 2003 and was trying to find ways to integrate my IPOD into it. Did some research, and came across this site which began to point me in the right direction.

Long story short, I paid a company to install this:

http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html

along with the new Harmon Karmon "Drive and Play" thing.

The implementation is VERY clean -- picture perfect. I had been using the ipod with a higher end cassette tape adapter, but the sound this way is much better - not to mention the interface being 100 times better.

I've heard there are some UI quirks with the Drive and Play, but so far, I'm loving this thing. Ipod is hidden away in the middle console, works very nicely across both of my IPODs (I have a new video 60 gig as well as an older 40 Gig that I'll probably leave in the car)..

All's good!

Eric
Old 08-03-06, 12:02 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey Eric, that sounds like a pretty good solution. I just have 2 questions:
- Does our car have text capability? I've never seen letters in mine ('04), so doubt it. I guess only on SAT radio newer radios, huh? If no text, how do you operate it?
- What kind of disassembly has to be done to get to the radio connector, and does unit fit behind it? I guess Pearlpower could answer this from the top of this head .
Old 08-03-06, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Hey Eric, that sounds like a pretty good solution. I just have 2 questions:
- Does our car have text capability? I've never seen letters in mine ('04), so doubt it. I guess only on SAT radio newer radios, huh? If no text, how do you operate it?
- What kind of disassembly has to be done to get to the radio connector, and does unit fit behind it? I guess Pearlpower could answer this from the top of this head .
not sure about 04 but on my 05 i see the "text" botton at the bottom of the screen. so whenever a cd that has text in it, you can press it and it will show? i just never tried it yet
Old 08-03-06, 05:37 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Where does it say 'text': inside the LCD screen or on a button? Our radios should be identical man.

I have a 'TRAF' and 'RDS' buttons I've never used, so that means our screen definitely has text capability. Just don't know if it'd work with the iPod. Maybe somebody with this product can enlighten us; I WON'T be the first, that's for sure .
Old 08-03-06, 05:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

dunno, i never checked a pre 05 car, can't say for sure. but i remember on the buttons right below the lcd screen, towards the right, there is a text button (i think it's with the scan button or something?)

now whether it will work with ipod that i don't know. i know such thing (if available on the sc430) will work with audio cds with text. ipod, i think it's up to the device. i thought vaistech stuff are supposed to do it
Old 08-04-06, 07:11 AM
egoldy
Driver School Candidate

All,

I took a few pictures to show how clean this install went.

http://img188.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ture004hr4.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ture005ck3.jpg

http://img477.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ture006lr9.jpg

You can also see the Parrot CK3000 I had installed if you look below the vent on the left of the steering wheel.

To answer the questions above:

- The Drive and Play has it's own interface, so it doesn't use the text capabilities. I was originally going to have them stick it in the ash tray area (take that out as I don't smoke in the car), but I like where we put it more. It's very easy to look at when you're using it. The UI control panel is perfect -- i lost the very very useful change holder though .. wah wah wah..

In terms of the disassembly, I paid someone to do all this for me. He told me it was tricky, but not as bad as the Mercedes are (which he said are a nightmare). The Parrot was actually trickier than the drive & play / VAIS as it had to be directly wired to the speaker.

The installer stuck ALL the stuff (and there were three things - -the VAIS box, the drive and play controller, and the parrot controller all behind the console..

The IPOD (as you can see from the picture) was put in the center console for easy usage..

BTW, I did my first long drive with it yesterday and am honestly blown away. Even without the Drive and Play UI, the SOUND from this sucker now is CD quality -- incredibly clean.

Eric
-
Old 08-04-06, 07:15 AM
egoldy
Driver School Candidate

Also, for those interested in the drive and play, this is a good site:

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx
Old 08-04-06, 07:56 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

The following article is from yesterday's wires.

Although any deal with Apple would be of no immediate help to current owners, a built in connection would be a lot better than all this aftermarket stuff we have been messing around with for years. I look for Lexus/Toyota to jump on this train soon -- it's pulling out of the station now, and it's bound for glory.

Look for something like this in your local fishwrap:
================================================

August 3, 2006
Apple to Integrate iPod With Car Radios
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:50 p.m. ET

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) -- In the latest boost to its dominance in portable music players, Apple Computer Inc. is teaming with General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Mazda Motor Corp. to integrate the iPod into car audio systems.

GM and Ford are the nation's No. 1 and No. 2 automakers, and the new alliances mean the iconic audio gadget will now be compatible with more than 70 percent of the new 2007 model vehicles sold in the United States, Apple said Thursday.

GM and Mazda will offer iPod integration on all new models, Apple said, and Ford will offer it on many of its Ford and Lincoln Mercury models later this year.

Carmakers say they are responding to a booming trend in which sales of iPods and other MP3 players are predicted to more than double from 58 million units in 2005 to 132 million in 2009.

The iPod holds about a 75 percent share of the portable player market in the U.S.

Working with the iPod maker is part of increasing effort by Ford and other car companies to make it easier on drivers to access a variety of gadgets -- from cell phones and navigation systems to music players -- while on the road.

''Consumers are listening to music, they're messaging each other, and they want to engage in all those activities in their vehicles but in a safe manner,'' said Doug VanDagens, director of Ford's product and business development in the electronics group.

Germany's BMW AG two years ago incorporated iPods directly into its car audio systems, allowing users to plug the music player into an adapter that goes into the glove box and access the iPod's music library through the car's standard controls.

By last fall, as sales of the iPod continued to surge, Apple had signed similar deals with about a dozen more car companies, including Acura, Audi, Ferrari, Honda, Nissan, and Volkswagen.

Ford said Thursday it will offer the iPod integration as a dealer-installed option called ''TripTunes Advanced'' at a suggested price of about $200, plus installation. An adapter that doubles as a battery-charging station would go in either the glove box or center storage console. Users would then be able to control the iPod through buttons on the steering wheel or the radio. Playlists, artists, and other song information will also be displayed on the cars' systems.

In addition, Ford plans to add auxiliary audio input jacks on nearly half its lineup, starting this fall. Tunes from any gadget -- iPods, other MP3 or CD music players, cell phones and game handhelds -- will then be playable on the cars' audio systems without the need for extra adapters or FM transmitters.

Demand for built-in satellite radio features has also prompted Ford to expand its relationship with Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. VanDagens said more than 90 percent of Ford and Lincoln Mercury cars will offer satellite radio by the 2008 model year.

GM said it will offer its iPod-only setup called ''Personal Audio Link'' at dealerships for all 56 of its models at a suggested retail price of less than $160, plus installation.

''We know our music-loving customers have been clamoring for a system like this, but we were determined not to go into the market with one unless it was truly integrated, easy to use and affordable,'' said Nancy Philippart, executive director of GM accessories. ''I think this system will be music to our customers' ears.''

Indeed, analysts say U.S. automakers are once again lagging behind foreign companies in new features, but in this case, ''at least they're finally getting more attuned to what consumers want,'' said Art Spinella of CNW Marketing Research.

The new iPod option particularly could help struggling GM, which has been attracting younger customers in recent years. ''It won't translate into sales in a dramatic way, but it certainly keeps customers from discarding the brand or its cars while shopping,'' Spinella said.

GM lost $10.6 billion last year and is under threat of losing its title as the world's largest automaker. Ford also has been losing market share to Asian manufacturers for a decade and has been badly stung by high gas prices because big trucks and sport utility vehicles account for a majority of the vehicles it sells.