SC430 / iPod integration

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 12:59 AM
prex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 / iPod integration

Finally finished my project to integrate my SC430 and iPod. Ended up using:

* VAIStech AIC-100i, unfortunately the ipod features are unusable with my year (2003), so it wound up being a very expensive aux input and nothing more. Brought the aux to the lower part of the armrest with a 1/8" jack, and then terminated the SiK imp (more below) on another 1/8" jack next to it, so I connect them to pass the ipod through, or can plug in another 1/8" device instead. Wired the 1/8" jack to both inputs on the VAIStech with RCA Y adapters so I wasn't constantly selecting a dead input twice on every cycle of input select.

* SiK imp (http://www.sik.com), for dock connector (power and line level output), ran it through the cupholder. Permanently wired into +12V underneath the shifter.

* Griffin Technology AirClick, took circuit out of the remote, drilled hole into back of steering wheel audio controls, wired remote track next/ff function to little button placed in hole, bundled remote safely in electrical tape and hid inside steering wheel. Will have to do some take-apart should the battery on the remote die, but no big deal.

I spent some time trying to wire the AirClick guts to the factory steering wheel controls and had no luck, you can get one button working till you turn the ignition on, then it stops working. If you ever take apart the factory controls, the microswitches are very easy to break -- be careful when reassembling to not apply too much pressure or they will snap in half.

Goal was same as always, leave car looking as stock as possible, as I am greatly disinterested in changing it's appearance or functionality.

http://www.asdfg.org/sc430ipod/ for a bunch of pictures.

Happy holidays!
Old 12-20-05, 01:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

very nice clean setup there. too bad the aic-100i doesn't work on your 03. so does that means the system is indeed different from yr to yr?
Old 12-20-05, 01:08 AM
prex
Driver

thanks! correct, vaistech reports that there are "bugs" in the pre-2004 radios that keep their kit from working. we tried shipping it back and fourth a couple times and made no progress, apparrently it's a lost cause. i'm jealous of anyone enjoying on-nav track name display and full use of their steering wheel controls w/ ipod, must be nice!
Old 12-20-05, 05:51 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh Noo I had my hopes all up after reading their website, I guess the gen 3 navi isnt compatible.
Old 12-20-05, 08:16 AM
spyderdude
Driver School Candidate

I installed hamon kardon Drive and play. I just intercepted the 4 wires that goes from the Head unit to the amp and then fed the brain module of the HK drive and play. it works great. my set up isn't as clean, but i love the result. it sounds great!
Old 12-20-05, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
Ohh Noo I had my hopes all up after reading their website, I guess the gen 3 navi isnt compatible.
you have 02 right? i wonder when did they change to the 3rd gen
Old 12-20-05, 10:12 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
you have 02 right? i wonder when did they change to the 3rd gen

I just assumed it was 3rd gen, I havent actually looked at the navi cd to make sure.
Old 12-20-05, 11:10 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does this mean my new iPod Video is compatible with my 05' SC... time to do some research now... or if someone can volunteer their services...... (((((((((Rominl))))))))
Old 12-20-05, 12:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
does this mean my new iPod Video is compatible with my 05' SC... time to do some research now... or if someone can volunteer their services...... (((((((((Rominl))))))))
mark, if you get those vaistech thing, you will be able to play any kind of ipod i think (except shuffle), but it might become very expensive mod if you can't show the title.

and me? why would you hurt one's feeling when that guy doesn't even have a damn ipod
Old 12-21-05, 11:46 AM
spyderdude
Driver School Candidate

i basically used the information in http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...howtopic=9612&
i saved about $200 with this verses using viatech. i think viatech is worth it cuz it is lots of headache to do it by intercepting the wire. I still had to spend about $100 on cables, DC blocker, and the switch.
Old 12-28-05, 03:51 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html

Okay, looks like this unit is a plug and play for iPod. At the price of $299 I am debating if it justifies the price especially SC is our weekend car now (well at least we tried but I think our van will soon be our weekend car... ). Has anyone gotten this one? I hope maybe i can modify the ashtray to accommodate the ipod.
Old 12-28-05, 03:55 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Okay, looks like this unit is a plug and play for iPod. At the price of $299 I am debating if it justifies the price especially SC is our weekend car now (well at least we tried but I think our van will soon be our weekend car... ). Has anyone gotten this one? I hope maybe i can modify the ashtray to accommodate the ipod.

just wait till they re release the one that does the video also, and you get to watch dvd's and ipod in one for like 400
Old 01-01-06, 11:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i read in another thread that someone put it in and the song names don't show up?

our 05 i am not sure how things differ
Old 01-02-06, 02:53 AM
prex
Driver

If your system supports CD/MD text display ("TEXT" button, nav on-screen display, etc) then you get track names. I think that means 2004+, or even 2005+, can't remember when it was added.

Life for me goes on without it, I really wish Apple would offer a mode where you could scroll just the track name while playing in a very large font. All of the firmware hacks let you swap the font out, but if you go past 10 points in any typeface you get a mess.
Old 01-02-06, 08:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm.... maybe someone can correct me, but on my 05 i can't get it to display cd texts?

Quick Reply: SC430 / iPod integration