SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Cross-country touring in the SC430 - What's your experience?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-06, 09:26 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cross-country touring in the SC430 - What's your experience?

The wifey and I love long-distance cross-country touring. Our current vehicle of choice is a Honda Odyssey minivan because 12-hour days are a breeze in it. We now, however, want to switch to open air touring. I wanted a touring motorcyle (like a Goldwing), but she wants an SC430.

What has been your experience with the SC? Do you tour top down? Is the top down experience just a novelty? Do you find the enclosed cabin confining on long hauls? (That's the main reason we don't use the GS430 on long trips).

I see the SC as much more practical (but more expensive and less exciting) alternative to the Goldwing. Luggage space should be comparable, the retractable top beats rain gear anytime, and road-rash incidents should stay in the past. Opinions?
Old 01-01-06, 10:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

5 to 6 hours is no problem for sure. but more than that, personally i think more space would be nicer
Old 01-01-06, 11:05 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Given the two options I would go with the SC. Long drives are fine and comfortable. But the SC would give me a bit more security on the open road along with the top option in case the weather turns south on you. That said I will know more when we take a 7 hour drive up to No Ca later next month,
Lee
Old 01-01-06, 11:52 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats wrong with a normal SC400?
Old 01-01-06, 11:56 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
HUH? He is contemplating either using his Goldwing or SC430 for a long trip. Where does a SC400 come into play? Though that is a nice touring car as well.
Old 01-01-06, 01:04 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
5 to 6 hours is no problem for sure. but more than that, personally i think more space would be nicer
That's my main concern. I suspect that at 6'3" I may find the enclosed cabin a little tight on the long hauls.

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Given the two options I would go with the SC. Long drives are fine and comfortable. But the SC would give me a bit more security on the open road along with the top option in case the weather turns south on you. That said I will know more when we take a 7 hour drive up to No Ca later next month
By all means, share your experience. I was just up there last week with the Ody. Tried to drive the Pacific Coast Highway after visiting the Hearst Castle, but it was socked in by fog. Drove inland instead from Cambria through the hills and vinyards and onto I-5 up to Sacramento. Beautiful scenery. And by the way, it was on CA Highway 1 that we got the bug for open air touring. We couldn't stop talking about it all the way back home to Texas.

Originally Posted by SC400-V8
Nothing, but like I said in my original post, we'd like to switch to open air touring--a convertible or a motorcycle, and the only convertible that we'd consider would be an SC430. We're definitely sold on Lexus.
Old 01-01-06, 03:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

lee, 7 hours for you to go from socal to norcal? you kidding me. you mean back and forth? if i can make it in 5 hours normal and 4 hours in a rush, i am sure you can do better

seriously, i have driven back and forth in the sc430 between socal and norcal, it was nothing
Old 01-01-06, 03:43 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lee, 7 hours for you to go from socal to norcal? you kidding me. you mean back and forth? if i can make it in 5 hours normal and 4 hours in a rush, i am sure you can do better

seriously, i have driven back and forth in the sc430 between socal and norcal, it was nothing
Were going to go ALL the up. Check the sites. Take some pics. Give the SC some stretching room.etc...
Old 01-01-06, 03:49 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts

I have taken several one-day 8 and 10 hour drives, (one was eleven, I think) in my SC430, both with a passenger and alone, and it's a joy. It is at least as nice and as quiet as my SC400. With the top up, you simply do not even know it is a convertible.

Switching from a van, even a highly rated one like the Honda Oddy, will be quite a shock, but a nice one. You may miss not being to see over the tops of regular cars, but you will not miss being hit with sidewinds and you will not miss slowing down for corners. Most surely, you will love the V-8 and being get up to freeway speeds (80) instantly and being able to pass anything in your way in about 4 seconds just by stepping on it. This is nice on the expressway, and great on "scenic" 2 lane roads.

I've taken it to the beach (all up and down the east coast from Cape May to Cape Fear) and love it. Enjoy the quiet, civilized ride, and then put the top down when you hit "Ocean Drive." (There's always an Ocean Drive in every seaside town.)

As for open air motoring, at lower speeds (below 70) you can put up the side windows and it's pretty calm and quiet, although that might get old after an hour or two. As slow speeds the car is pretty calm and quiet even with the windows down. On the expressway, you will want the top up if you are going to be moving along for any length of time.
Old 01-01-06, 07:25 PM
Addiction2
Driver

I don't know how many other people here actually own motorcycles but I suspect I may be the only one in the forums that has owned (and currently owns) both a Goldwing and an SC430. If your really a motorcycle guy while the SC430 is nice, and it gives you some comforts the Goldwing can't, the Goldwing wins hands down. In California I'd imagine that having a Goldwing is pretty worthwile.

This isn't to knock the SC430, its easily the most competent car I've ever owned (tho I miss my SL500 horribly, bad electronics and all). There's simply no comparing to the bike touring experience if you go in for that sort of thing.
Old 01-02-06, 07:26 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

tfischer
Sounds like my wife has been talking with you. It's the top up/down versatility of the SC and all the creature comforts that's so attractive. As for the shock of switching from a minivan to something else, that's exactly what we're looking forward to--a change. The Ody has been extremely good to us. It's been to CA and places in between four times, to FL three times, and has explored all the backroads between OK and Mexico.

Addiction2
You're right, nothing compares to motorcycle touring. But the boss has never been on a motorcycle, and she's adamant that she won't ride with me. (All the road rash on my arms and legs maybe?) I also haven't done a good job of describing the itch to explore only experienced on a motorcycle. It's something that I just can't describe. Maybe it's time to rent a motorcyle and allow her to experience it first hand.

Thank you both for your thoughtful comments.
Old 01-02-06, 03:02 PM
Doc C
Lead Lap

The SC430 is at its best as a touring car. I'm 6'3" and never felt claustrophobic or cramped at all. I went on several 6-7 hour trips no problem. It truly gives you the best of both worlds. Airtight coupe and open air cruiser. Plus, it has WAY more luggage space than one thinks. The amputee back seat is a great second trunk. Tfischer said it perfectly about the speeds etc. that the car is comfortable. My wife and I miss the SC430. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all with the SC. Good luck!!
Old 01-02-06, 03:07 PM
RMR
Rookie

My first drive when I bought my SC430 was from San Jose to Dana Point, CA (home). I did this on highway 1 (and 101 when 1 disappears) top down the total trip.

This was the best ride I ever took, and I have owned a Porsche 928, a Infiity Q45 and a Caddy Eldo and a SC400. Altough it may not be the fastest car I owned, it is by far the most enjoyable.

I would not hesitate to drive across the US, and may very soon as I am making 2006 my year to retire from corporate America and making companies rich on my work. Now I can enjoy my 30 years in the "salt mines", and the SC430 will be a major part of my new life.

Don't forget the SIRIUS or XM if you plan to travel though!

If you are young at heart, you will love this car for the long-haul, IMHO.

RMR
Old 01-02-06, 05:10 PM
MNPine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6' 1'' here and took the SC on a road trip for 5 hours or so. no problem, top up or top down.

very nice ride