SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone with a creaking top?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-06, 04:11 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone with a creaking top?

I'm not sure if anyone posted this porblem but the joint where the top section and the section with the rear window creaks severely especially when going into any driveway. I understand that there would be chasis flex but this creaking even occurs during regular drives. I thought about grease but what type, brand, etc. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I just need some help before I go nuts.
Old 01-03-06, 04:38 PM
tfischer

Received 228 Likes on 168 Posts

I thought I had that problem also, but it turned out to be my knees.

If it is in that joint, I would suggest regular (two times a year) applications of 303 to the big rubber gasket that is in that seam (as well as all the big rubber gaskets all over the car). That 303 keeps the gaskets soft and prevents them from drying out.

Or you may have a misalignment, and the two metal (aluminum) pieces are rubbing together. This is not common. See if you can see any evidence of this, like paint rubbed off inside that seam.

To check easily, put the top in motion, and take you finger off the button when the rear window is perpendicular to the ground. The top will hold in this position, which is a good way to treat the gaskets and to clean the inside of the rear window.

We want a full report.
Old 01-03-06, 05:36 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used some household oil for the jonits though all of my initial creaks were from the rubber seals. Used some Armor All on all of the rubber seals and all is quiet. I had to do this in stages. Raise the top a little, protectant, raise some more, protectane, etc...until I was able to get to everything. Took 10 minutes max.
Lee
Old 01-06-06, 07:20 AM
RMR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have resolved my creaks by using a good quality rubber lubricant on all seals (a product sold at marine supply stores), and a small amount of white lithium grease on the pins.

The last folks who serviced my car, Carlsbad Lexus in S. CA, couldn't fix the problem, they just gave me a song and dance that there was nothing to be done, and it is normal so I took it upon myself to resolve. It is quiet as a church mouse now. Needless to say, I will not use Carlsbad Lexus any longer.

NICE430
Old 01-06-06, 11:24 AM
peaceful97
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RMR
I have resolved my creaks by using a good quality rubber lubricant on all seals (a product sold at marine supply stores), and a small amount of white lithium grease on the pins.

The last folks who serviced my car, Carlsbad Lexus in S. CA, couldn't fix the problem, they just gave me a song and dance that there was nothing to be done, and it is normal so I took it upon myself to resolve. It is quiet as a church mouse now. Needless to say, I will not use Carlsbad Lexus any longer.

NICE430
RMR, can you please post the rubber lubricant that you use which stop the creaks?

Thanks.
Old 01-06-06, 02:28 PM
RMR
Rookie

Aerospace protectent 303.

NICE430
Old 01-08-06, 01:21 AM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank to everyone for your suggestions and your help.
Old 01-08-06, 08:21 AM
RMR
Rookie

(the top)Dan,

Hope you will be sucessful.

I also used a teflon lubricant and shot all moving joints of the roof mechanisim, carefully. You need to be careful as the excess will drip if you do not wipe the areas after lubing. Check the areas a couple days to ensure you removed all excess. So far, it (the top) is as still quiet as can be, not a creak to be heard, and it used to sound like it was going to fall apart when I went up a step driveway when driving over the gutter.

Shame on the dealers who would rather BS than take care of this. It just requires a little work to ensure all areas are lubricated properly. I really would have expected more from the Lexus service folks, but then again, not all are top notch. Carlsbad Lexus actaully refered me to an article in Motor Trend magazine to justify the "normal" creeks. What a crock!

NICE430
Old 01-08-06, 12:33 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The 303 Protectant is pretty cool stuff -- UV protection for your plastics, vinyl, rubber.
My old SC400 had the headlamps haze over after several years. Does anyone have any experience with 303 preventing this problem?

BTW, here's a link to 303's web site. On the top right, there's an offer for a free sample:
http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=protectant
Right now, it looks like their totally free samples are not available.
But they do have a $5 S&H deal on 2oz. sizes of 3 their products (looks like Protectant, Cleaner, Shower Shield).

For those of you with a pool, you may already have this around: Leslie's Pool & Spa Lube. I use it on the gaskets & seals to help them last longer, and a good-sized tube only costs $5. And while it's not resistant to washings, it does well in water. (Is 303 water-resistant?)

As for the mechanics, I've considered (carefully) applying spray lithium grease. It's what the dealerships use for creaky doors and other hinges, and it doesn't harden (although it usually require re-application every year or two). I use it on my garage door every year, and it makes a huge difference in noise.
Old 01-08-06, 01:35 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RMR
Shame on the dealers who would rather BS than take care of this. It just requires a little work to ensure all areas are lubricated properly. I really would have expected more from the Lexus service folks, but then again, not all are top notch. Carlsbad Lexus actaully refered me to an article in Motor Trend magazine to justify the "normal" creeks. What a crock!

NICE430
RMR - i've had the exact same experience at Carlsbad. they are very bad when it comes to noises, and i've even driven with techs for 15 minutes to duplicate the problem and they cannot fix it. i believe i have some suspension creaking noises as well as top creaking, including a whistling noise from driver vent fan, but so far no one can help me, and i have given up and just try to ignore all these things. but it is sad because i sometimes PREFER to drive the RX because its just way less of a nuisance. i don't know how i feel about Lexus making hard top convertibles right now. i wanted to get the new SC or the IS convertible when my lease is up next year, but now i just don't know.

have you tried any of the other dealers in San Diego? i pretty much can't stand any of them, but i have no choice. i found an independent shop started by Lexus master certified guys, and i may give them a shot in the future.
Old 01-09-06, 10:57 AM
RMR
Rookie

You would think they would be a bit more concerned on resolving issues with their "top of the line" model at Carlsbad lexus wouldn't you? Such is not the case.

The service advisor never even bothered to call back after I posted an E-mail to her sharring the sub-par expreiences.

Shamefull service, but alas, if enough of us let them know, perhaps someday they will rectify their lack-luster attitude toward the Customer.....

NICE430