SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bra Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 08:45 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bra Removal

Does anyone have experience with removing a clear bra on the hood? Can you do it yourself, or is it best to leave to professionals?

Thanks

John
Old 01-09-06, 09:36 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would recommend a nice warm day and a hair dryer. Start at one corner. Warm it up and pull away. Very easy to remove as long as the surface is heated up. The risk of damaging the paint with a hair dryer is remote. Just keep it abour 10" or more away from the surface. A heat gun works very well ,however they produce more heat than required and can damage paint if not used properly.

Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-09-06 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-09-06, 10:20 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmm I remove a bra usually by reaching around the girl then using one hand unclip the bra, usually by sticking a finger underneath the back of the bra to lift it up, then use my thumb to slide the bra off the clips holding it on and it usually pops off.

hahaha but yea what lee said should work fine also, if its sorta cold outside just drive around for a little while and your hood should heat right up.
Old 01-09-06, 10:31 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnMD
Does anyone have experience with removing a clear bra on the hood? Can you do it yourself, or is it best to leave to professionals?

Thanks

John
A question: why are you removing it? I have one on my `04 SC430, `04 GX470, and `05.5 Audi A4 2.0 T, and I am convinced (after NOT having had one on my former `02 SC430) that clear bras really do protect the front-end from chips.

Just curious.
Old 01-09-06, 10:43 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
A question: why are you removing it? I have one on my `04 SC430, `04 GX470, and `05.5 Audi A4 2.0 T, and I am convinced (after NOT having had one on my former `02 SC430) that clear bras really do protect the front-end from chips.

Just curious.

I think his hood got scratched and he needs to repaint it
Old 01-09-06, 12:21 PM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Yep. Taking the bra off as I need to get my hood repainted. It looks like insurance will pay for the whole thing (see above post) after I complained.

But I think someone(s) does not like my black SC430. Must have happened yesterday in a parking lot. Someone put a nice crease in my driver's side door. Vandals got me the first time. Maybe I live in the wrong neighborhood. The car is just too pretty. People want to hurt it.

Any advise on whether I should call the insurance company about the new ding? Which is worse -- a crease or a repainted door? About 4" long so they must have given it a real wack.

John
Old 01-09-06, 12:23 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Yep. Taking the bra off as I need to get my hood repainted. It looks like insurance will pay for the whole thing (see above post) after I complained.

But I think someone(s) does not like my black SC430. Must have happened yesterday in a parking lot. Someone put a nice crease in my driver's side door. Vandals got me the first time. Maybe I live in the wrong neighborhood. The car is just too pretty. People want to hurt it.

Any advise on whether I should call the insurance company about the new ding? Which is worse -- a crease or a repainted door? About 4" long so they must have given it a real wack.

John

tell them you forgot to mention the door, ask for an adjustment. because you dont want to pay the deductable twice,
Old 01-09-06, 02:18 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

John
Very sorry to see that. It could also just be that someone is flat out jealous of your car as does occur often with many Lexus owners as well as owners of other fine brands. I once had someone run into my Porsche drivers door which was parked in an ajoining parking lot with no other cars. I also knew someone years ago that picked up sand from the ground and just threw it at a brand new NSX in a parking lot. I asked him why did it and he responded with a very juvenile response. Needless to say his life took a turn for the worse after that and we no longer communicate.
Old 01-09-06, 02:59 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey John,

Where in MD are you? I'm in Gaithersburg. If you like I can help you remove that clear bra. Also, what paint shop are you gonna use? I'm looking for a good paint shop myslelf.
Old 01-09-06, 03:42 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Bra Removal

the title of this thread is rediculously misleading

just thought i would throw that out there...
Old 01-09-06, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

John
in that case, why not just let them shop remove the bra before painting?
Old 01-10-06, 11:13 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the misleading title. I think we are all experts at removing the other kind of bra (one handed it need be).

After a discussion with the body shop and someone who knew something, it turns out they would never tape off the bra and paint (as the estimator indicated). So the body shop will increase the extimate, remove the bra, sand and repaint the hood, and install another bra.

I indicated that it was my understanding that the bra should not be put back on until the paint had cured 60-90 days. They said 30 was good enough. Any thoughts??

Now I need to decide whether to get the driver's side door fixed at the same time. Or just leave it.

The car was absolutely perfect with I purchased it. I have not done too well. Plus it appears that someone put their shoe on my back bumper and dragged it arcoss making numerous small scratch marks. Think they can be buffed out.

This car seems to **** people off. I have had 3 high end Mercedes (also black -- but unfortunately I'll never have another due to poor quality control) and people left them alone for the most part. This car is just too pretty. If I park in the middle of nowhere, sure enough an old rusty pickup pulls next to me and parks about 12" from the side. Brings out parking lot rage, but I have maintained so far.

On the positive side, I had my top down yesterday on 1/9/2006 in Annapolis MD and it was great.

John
Old 01-10-06, 11:15 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Another misleading title First it was the hooters calender now this
Old 01-10-06, 11:35 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cherplex
Another misleading title First it was the hooters calender now this

did u read my bra removal reply it was quite funny.

Anyways just get it all fixed at once. On the curing time as long as its in the sun quite often and gets hot it can cure quite quickly, 30 days should be plenty. Did you ask the body shop for an adjustment on the vandalism on the side door like i told you to?
Old 01-12-06, 08:13 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advise. Now I can remove several types of bras on several types of chassis. Sometimes one handed. Thanks for the heating the hood up advise. I'll let the body shop take care of it, but good information. I love my car, even though others may not. A work of art.

Quick Reply: Bra Removal