SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Well, my worst fear has been realized...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-01, 07:58 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Over the last few weeks, someone has been keying cars in my office building's parking lot. A Lexus RX-300 in the stall right next to mine was keyed while I was away on vacation.

I knew it was a matter of time before the idiot got to my SC 430. Sure enough, about 2 hours ago, I got a call from someone downstairs saying that my car had been keyed. Still had the paint flakes along the scratch. All along the driver's door and along the left rear fender, over the gas cap.

How this makes some sick people feel good I just cannot understand.

I had been polishing the car weekly since I bought it in April. Now it won't have original factory paint on those panels, and what's the sense in polishing it if it just make some idiot happier to key a clean car?
Old 08-08-01, 08:04 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh man that bastard.. Sheesh that is one of my fears with owning a luxury car.. The thing is your car is never the same because factory paint will always be better than any outside paint job.. I know that doesn't make you feel any better.. Anyways does your parking facility have any camera's??

Thanks for sharing and I hope they find whoever is doing that to the cars in your area..
Old 08-08-01, 10:29 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Default Thanks

Thanks, guys -

I knew that you folks here at this forum would understand how it feels. I guess there's nothing much I can do.

With the other 4 keyings before mine, I think I have enough ammo to put pressure on the parking lot management to install some type of camera surveillance.

I can only hope what goes around, comes around...

Last edited by RodF; 08-08-01 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-09-01, 02:35 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Rod, sorry to hear about that. That REALLY sucks! If it were me, I would hunt his *** down and beat him until he couldn't remember his name or what country he was in...

But that's just me...

By the way, when you get your car repainted, just take it to a QUALITY body shop and be VERY, VERY **** from the get go so they know you're not just messing around and that you won't be happy with a paint job that anything less than perfect.

At the the right shop, you can have a BETTER than factory paint job. Make sure they use PPG or DuPont automotive paints...those are the best. If they body shop tells you otherwise, take your car somewhere else.
Old 08-09-01, 11:43 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Thanks, Manaray. Luckily, I have a paint shop as a client who is more picky than I am when it comes to how the job looks. He had done a lot of work on my pearl white 300ZX, and it was always perfect.

The comment about the right paint job being even better than factory makes me feel a little better. I think that was one of my biggest concerns, that it would never be the same.
Old 08-09-01, 12:54 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your 430 Rod. I really hope that bastard(s) responsible is/are caught.

Answer the following ???'s to help you in your search...

Do you have any employees under you in your position at work?(are you a supervisor or manager?)

Did you beat someone out for a promotion/job?

Did you just receive a big bonus at work?

Are you a tight *** or snob at work or assume to be one?

Do you brag on your ride at work or is some one making snide remarks about your new car?

With that said, it is no excuse to damage a persons car, but it make help you narrow down the SOB! We had a pearl 300ZX 2+2 and a pearl 300 ZXtt... Very nice cars to this day!!! Timeless truly my favorite car I have owned.

The Ikon
Old 08-09-01, 02:17 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Ikon -

I don't think it was personal to me since I was the 5th car with this problem in the last 2 weeks. Last week, the car right next to mine got keyed when I was on vacation. All 5 people are unrelated in all respects and work in different offices.

I think we have a culprit who either works in the building or has a grudge against the building as a whole. I sent a letter to the building owner holding them responsible since they didn't take any steps after the first 4 keyings. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-09-01, 04:13 PM
BertL
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Rod, had to say also it's a @#$*(&(* shame about your car... Some people. Anyway, I lived in Kaneohe for 11 years -- have been back on the mainland for almost 5 years now, but hope to get back. What part of town did you have the problem in? Man, I'm just sick with you...
Old 08-09-01, 08:05 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Bert -

It happened in town right off of Kapiolani by Ala Moana Shopping Center. I've been in this building for 19 years and rarely had a problem It takes just one sick-o on a rampage to create a situation like this.
Old 08-09-01, 10:19 PM
redtoesblue
Driver

I hope you catch the bastard that did it!!! I hate people like that. One time I just had my lex cleaned at my office, when I got back to my car some punk spit on the passenger window and got it all messed up. Lucky they did not do anything else, but it makes me mad. WTF?! why do people have to mess with other peoples cars? I think that others are jealous of our lexus'. I hope you find that punk and teach him a lesson.
Old 08-12-01, 05:19 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Good news/bad news

Obviously the thugs who did this deserve to get a serious butt kicking.

The same thing happened to my then 3-week old Boxster. The good news is - as mentioned above - a quality shop made the repair invisible. Truly no one I asked could tell that anything had ever happened to the car.

(now the bad news...)

except for the Lexus dealer when I traded it in for the SC430. They were able to "feel" a difference in the seam on the inside of the doors, hood etc. which occurred when the shop reapplied the clear coat. Ultimately, I estimate it cost me about $7000 in reduced trade-in value.

I don't know if this "seam" can be avoided (nor am I implying you should deceive anyone about the history of the car) but I thought you might want a heads up.

Bottom line was my car looked perfefctly new again and I enjoyed it for 4 years. I got hosed eventually on the trade-in. I can live with that.

Still, I hope someone catches the bastards...

Old 08-12-01, 05:31 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Good news/bad news

Obviously the thugs who did this deserve to get a serious butt kicking.

The same thing happened to my then 3-week old Boxster. The good news is - as mentioned above - a quality shop made the repair invisible. Truly no one I asked could tell that anything had ever happened to the car.

(now the bad news...)

except for the Lexus dealer when I traded it in for the SC430. They were able to "feel" a difference in the seam on the inside of the doors, hood etc. which occurred when the shop reapplied the clear coat. Ultimately, I estimate it cost me about $7000 in reduced trade-in value.

I don't know if this "seam" can be avoided (nor am I implying you should deceive anyone about the history of the car) but I thought you might want a heads up.

Bottom line was my car looked perfefctly new again and I enjoyed it for 4 years. I got hosed eventually on the trade-in. I can live with that.

Still, I hope someone catches the bastards...

Old 08-14-01, 12:27 AM
RodF
Pole Position

Angry The f#@ker did it again!

Thanks for the replies. I know you all must understand how this feels. I just found two brand new scratches on my car that he must have just done, as the paint flakes are still around the gash. We have a serial keyer who is on a rampage. I understand he just keyed yet another car last Friday as well.

Something is wrong when you work so hard to be able to afford a car like this, and some f%#ker feels like it's his duty to make sure you don't enjoy it.
Old 08-14-01, 02:14 PM
vicpai
Pole Position

Default Here's a suggestion.......

Originally posted by RodF
Thanks for the replies. I know you all must understand how this feels. I just found two brand new scratches on my car that he must have just done, as the paint flakes are still around the gash. We have a serial keyer who is on a rampage. I understand he just keyed yet another car last Friday as well.

Something is wrong when you work so hard to be able to afford a car like this, and some f%#ker feels like it's his duty to make sure you don't enjoy it.
Act like nothing ever happened, and then place a small camera (one of those tiny things available at surveillence stores) in an inconspicous place and focus it on your car. When you find out who it is, DO ALL OF THOSE things mentioned in the above posts AND MAKE MINCEMEAT OUT OF HIM
Old 08-14-01, 03:21 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a few of those X10 camera's for the house and they are very small and work great.. I first saw one of those at a car stereo competition I was helping to judge.. Buddy had a STS and when he armed his alarm a camera mounted in the headliner would fold out and rotate when it sensed motion.. He had that done since he lived in a condo and with the wireless technology the X10 offers he was able to monitor his car from his apartment..

Anyways just thought I would share that.. I hope they find the idiot and let you guys take a crack at him.. Beat some sense into his little brain..

Quick Reply: Well, my worst fear has been realized...